Ken Jennings as a Host Poll

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

How do you feel about Ken Jennings hosting Jeopardy so far?

I think he's doing great, I'm already convinced he should become the host permanently.
18%
I think he's doing well, and won't mind if he becomes the host permanently.
51%
I think he's doing OK, but still want to see what the other guest hosts are like.
25%
I'm not impressed so far, but I'll keep an open mind and see how it goes.
2%
Sorry, but I hope they find someone else.
4%

Total votes: 117

alietr
Site Admin

Ken Jennings as a Host Poll

Post by alietr »

Yes, I know it's early, but I'd like to take Boardies temperature.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Ken Jennings as a Host Poll

Post by Bamaman »

I chose option #2. My actual feelings combine the first clause of that option and the second clause of option #3. I think he is doing well but I do want to see the other hosts.
Leander
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Leander »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:06 am I chose option #2. My actual feelings combine the first clause of that option and the second clause of option #3. I think he is doing well but I do want to see the other hosts.
I chose option #3, but my opinion is the same as yours.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

I voted for "Sorry, but I hope they find someone else." No offense to Ken, but the reason I don't want him as permanent host is because then, anyone who Ken played against would be ineligible to be invited to future Jeopardy! tournaments because of the 1950s quiz show scandals, and I don't want there to be a special tournament without James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, Roger Craig, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, Ben Ingram, Julia Collins, and other great contestants that Ken played against, though I do think he is doing a great job as interim host.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 am I voted for "Sorry, but I hope they find someone else." No offense to Ken, but the reason I don't want him as permanent host is because then, anyone who Ken played against would be ineligible to be invited to future Jeopardy! tournaments because of the 1950s quiz show scandals, and I don't want there to be a special tournament without James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, Roger Craig, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, Ben Ingram, Julia Collins, and other great contestants that Ken played against, though I do think he is doing a great job as interim host.
Is that true though? Even if he merely competed against them but has no other relationship with them? I agree, the ones he has become friends with - that's where you'd run into issues.
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

mas3cf wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 10:34 am
gameshowfandanny wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 9:07 am I voted for "Sorry, but I hope they find someone else." No offense to Ken, but the reason I don't want him as permanent host is because then, anyone who Ken played against would be ineligible to be invited to future Jeopardy! tournaments because of the 1950s quiz show scandals, and I don't want there to be a special tournament without James Holzhauer, Brad Rutter, Roger Craig, Matt Jackson, Austin Rogers, Ben Ingram, Julia Collins, and other great contestants that Ken played against, though I do think he is doing a great job as interim host.
Is that true though? Even if he merely competed against them but has no other relationship with them? I agree, the ones he has become friends with - that's where you'd run into issues.
I remember reading on Reddit once that there was a person who interviewed Alex and they were told they would be ineligible to be a contestant until Alex wasn't host anymore.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

That would be way, way far down the criteria used to select a host (in my book).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

If he is on the show’s staff (but not host) would that be a problem for his personal friends being on the show?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I think he's doing OK, but still want to see what the other guest hosts are like - well I do think he's doing OK, but not great. I also don't think some of the other guest hosts are going to be all that great either, and the only one I'm really interested in seeing is Bill Whitaker.

I'm not impressed so far but I'll keep an open mind and see how it goes - well he is doing better than I thought he would, I love how he has the knowledge to host the show and add in little bonuses here and there; but does that make me impressed? No. Do I think he'll improve to the point where I think he's right for the job? No.

I guess that leaves me with Sorry, but I hope they find someone else.

I'm also hoping to see everyone sign off with "thank you, Alex". I don't think that should happen next season with the permanent host, but for this season, even if we do get that permanent host (which in my opinion, we should).
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I'm not impressed so far, but it's an incredibly difficult job. I would like to see him get the permanent gig, though, because the choice makes so much sense. He will improve with more acting lessons and voice work and experience (not every discussion needs a closing comment, that kind of thing, that Alex had a great feel for). That wasn't one of the options, so I'm leaving it as a comment.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I posted in another thread that he is doing better than I thought he would and I would not mind if he got the full time job.

Having said that, on here, I voted that he's ok but I'd like to see what some others do.

Right now, all we have to compare him to is Trebek. He's not that good, maybe no one else will be, or maybe one or two of the people they come up with will be right there.

One item that could be neat will be a pole of the best guest host once we've had 5 or 6. Views of Jennings could change one way or the other once we got others to compare him to.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Sherm wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 12:52 pm I posted in another thread that he is doing better than I thought he would and I would not mind if he got the full time job.

Having said that, on here, I voted that he's ok but I'd like to see what some others do.

Right now, all we have to compare him to is Trebek. He's not that good, maybe no one else will be, or maybe one or two of the people they come up with will be right there.

One item that could be neat will be a pole of the best guest host once we've had 5 or 6. Views of Jennings could change one way or the other once we got others to compare him to.
I’m certainly not ready to say yes or no to him since I haven’t seen anyone else at the big desk. I also don’t know how serious I should watch any of the others since we don’t know if any of them are serious candidates or just attention getting devices. I don’t think an active NFL QB, two newscasters in their 60s, and an actress with a new show are getting the job but we’ll see.

An end of the season poll listing all the hosts is certainly in order.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I think he stinks. He annoys me no end. I think Brooke Burns would be the best choice although I think Mike Richards will probably end up getting the job.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

My pick was I'm okay if he becomes the new host (#2) but I would still like to see as many guest hosts as possible. This is a once in a lifetime opportunity, and there are plenty of episodes to fill so let them go nuts with "What if?"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Leander wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:23 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 7:06 am I chose option #2. My actual feelings combine the first clause of that option and the second clause of option #3. I think he is doing well but I do want to see the other hosts.
I chose option #3, but my opinion is the same as yours.
Another vote for option 3, for the same reasons.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Johnblue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm I think he stinks. He annoys me no end.
Why does he annoy you?
goongas

Post by goongas »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 2:42 pm
Johnblue wrote: Sat Jan 16, 2021 1:14 pm I think he stinks. He annoys me no end.
Why does he annoy you?
He is fine except for his voice and his earnestness. He doesn't have a broadcasting voice.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Concur 100%
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

That
brucejoel199
Contributor

Post by brucejoel199 »

Here's the thing: that's not really that bad. I'm obviously only speaking for myself, though, & people are free to disagree, but as much as I love the GOATs & the All-Stars & everybody who you'd expect to come back for reunion tournaments, they were the stars of the Trebek era, & as much as I hate to say (& wanna refuse to believe) it, the Trebek era has ended. Hell, Ken signing-up as a consulting producer after the GOAT tournament ended (let alone as a guest host/potential permanent host) already meant that we were never gonna see him competing again, so that right there would've already deprived those reunion tournaments of not just one of the greats, but the great. The way I see it, we're entering a new era of J! right now, & as much as I loved the previous era's greats, as far as I'm concerned, now should be the time to allow a new generation of potential J! greats to prosper.