Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm
Anachronism wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 pm One thing is for certain these days, people on the left feel a lot more comfortable expressing this hate in public. And they don't seem to understand that outlets like CNN and PBS and NPR are heavily biased in terms of what they choose to report. I don't know where to look for news these days, but it's not any of the mainstream outlets.
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 am Here is an article from a highly rated mainstream media source reporting that Couric’s comments have raised concerns behind the scenes at Jeopardy.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jeopardy- ... -deprogram
Associated Press is probably your best bet for neutral and fact-based reporting. I like the New York Times if you want more journalism.

I think the website https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ does a fairly good job of reporting the biases and accuracy of media sources. They have separate measures for left-right bias (extreme, left, left-center, least biased, right-center, right, extreme) and factual-nonfactual bias (Very High, High Mostly Factual, Mixed, Low, Very Low). Other neutral fact-check type websites have become corrupted and biased over time so I would be skeptical but open to receiving information.

For example they rate Associated Press as Least Biased and Very High factual reporting. CNN is rated Left and Mixed. Fox News is Right and Mixed. I wouldn't consider either CNN or Fox News a highly rated source of information. They are large entities and may be the first on the scene of some stories though. NPR is Left-Center and very high factual reporting. New York Times is left-center and high factual reporting. PBS Newshour is Left-Center and high factual reporting.

I think it's important for people to stay informed. There are some big problems with the media but it's important not to tune out entirely because an uninformed populace allows bad actors to act without resistance.
I was not familiar with the site and found it very interesting. Thanks for sharing.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Jeopardy! Interim Host Thread

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 12:38 pm
Anachronism wrote: Fri Jan 22, 2021 9:54 pm One thing is for certain these days, people on the left feel a lot more comfortable expressing this hate in public. And they don't seem to understand that outlets like CNN and PBS and NPR are heavily biased in terms of what they choose to report. I don't know where to look for news these days, but it's not any of the mainstream outlets.
Bamaman wrote: Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:45 am Here is an article from a highly rated mainstream media source reporting that Couric’s comments have raised concerns behind the scenes at Jeopardy.

https://www.foxnews.com/media/jeopardy- ... -deprogram
Associated Press is probably your best bet for neutral and fact-based reporting. I like the New York Times if you want more journalism.

I think the website https://mediabiasfactcheck.com/ does a fairly good job of reporting the biases and accuracy of media sources. They have separate measures for left-right bias (extreme, left, left-center, least biased, right-center, right, extreme) and factual-nonfactual bias (Very High, High Mostly Factual, Mixed, Low, Very Low). Other neutral fact-check type websites have become corrupted and biased over time so I would be skeptical but open to receiving information.

For example they rate Associated Press as Least Biased and Very High factual reporting. CNN is rated Left and Mixed. Fox News is Right and Mixed. I wouldn't consider either CNN or Fox News a highly rated source of information. They are large entities and may be the first on the scene of some stories though. NPR is Left-Center and very high factual reporting. New York Times is left-center and high factual reporting. PBS Newshour is Left-Center and high factual reporting.

I think it's important for people to stay informed. There are some big problems with the media but it's important not to tune out entirely because an uninformed populace allows bad actors to act without resistance.
By “high rated” I meant a lot of people watch them. I wasn’t commenting on the quality of their news.
JayK33
Just a Fan

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by JayK33 »

About this week's J! cast:
Spoiler
Zach is back. Playing on Thursday.
arjavrawal
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by arjavrawal »

ParrotRob wrote: Thu Jan 21, 2021 8:19 pmYeah, we get it. None of that is important to you. We get that the standard deduction means nothing to you, nor does the Jewish state. We get that that you don't care about any of that stuff. But some do. And for people like you to sit in your ivory towers and diminish the things that ARE important to other people is truly what's deplorable.
Under what circumstances is supporting a political party who denies the need for good stewardship of our environment remotely acceptable? I’m not even talking about believing in the scientific consensus on manmade climate change, I’m talking about propping up a dying economic sector that overreports job numbers to keep its subsidies, while simultaneously trying to suppress any form of renewable clean energy that creates good, high-paying jobs. I’m talking about an entire political party that is hell-bent on decimating this country and its land — doubly so if that land belongs to indigenous communities or communities of color. How is voting for a party or a president of that sort acceptable?

Everything else — the global finger-pointing, letting a deadly pandemic spread, not wanting women to have patient-doctor confidentiality, not wanting someone to have healthcare — all of that can and should be diminished — because none of it matters in comparison to the fact that the entire Republican Party has strayed from the days of Nixon and has grown to love dirty air, dirty water, and unsafe food as a standard for every American citizen (and if you’re poor, no food at all). When there isn’t clean air or clean water, when the bare minimum of living standards for someone cannot be met — nothing else matters in comparison.

So no, it’s not remotely deplorable to diminish all this stupid and arbitrary stuff in exchange of a love of this planet and the resources it has offered humanity.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My wife bought me a daily calendar for Christmas “Fact or Crap?” that presents you with a “fact” that you have to decide is true or not. Today’s was “Under Britain’s Section 5 of the Public Order Act, a man was arrested after saying ‘woof’ to a dog.” Needless to say, we were both highly amused. :mrgreen:
Spoiler
It was true
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I'm wondering if Wheel made a mistake tonight. The puzzle was _EIGE SL_C_S. I would swear that the contestant was saying something like "beige slocks",but they deemed she said the correct answer. What makes me doubt it is that when the puzzle was revealed, she sounded like she said "or those". Weird.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:59 pm I'm wondering if Wheel made a mistake tonight. The puzzle was _EIGE SL_C_S. I would swear that the contestant was saying something like "beige slocks",but they deemed she said the correct answer. What makes me doubt it is that when the puzzle was revealed, she sounded like she said "or those". Weird.
I didn't see the whole show, but it sounds like she has a bit of an accent, no? She repeats it 4 times, trying to be more clear...Why in the world would she say beige slocks?? Come on!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

davey wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 10:07 pm
econgator wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 7:59 pm I'm wondering if Wheel made a mistake tonight. The puzzle was _EIGE SL_C_S. I would swear that the contestant was saying something like "beige slocks",but they deemed she said the correct answer. What makes me doubt it is that when the puzzle was revealed, she sounded like she said "or those". Weird.
I didn't see the whole show, but it sounds like she has a bit of an accent, no? She repeats it 4 times, trying to be more clear...Why in the world would she say beige slocks?? Come on!
Only because the heads up post I saw it. Even if one attempt was "slocks", another one had enough of a "slacks" to it to convince me.

She did say, "What are those?" A guess counts just as well as certainty. The show had to give it to her.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 27, 2021 11:01 pm She did say, "What are those?" A guess counts just as well as certainty. The show had to give it to her.
So that's what she said. OK.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

That was the same women who landed on the express wedge several times and wouldn't do it, wasn't it? As my wife said it's so frustrating when stupidity is rewarded like that.

Also was "beige slacks" a puzzle they had left over from the '70s? :D
Leander

Post by Leander »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:45 am
That was the same women who landed on the express wedge several times and wouldn't do it, wasn't it? As my wife said it's so frustrating when stupidity is rewarded like that.

And, she hit the express wedge when she knew the puzzle and refused to use it! She guessed the answer when she could have picked up a couple of thousand more by calling the rest of the letters.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Leander wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 12:30 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 28, 2021 11:45 am

And, she hit the express wedge when she knew the puzzle and refused to use it! She guessed the answer when she could have picked up a couple of thousand more by calling the rest of the letters.
It almost seems like some people think the Express is some kind of trick. :)
Golf

Post by Golf »

dell3234 wrote: Sat Jan 30, 2021 3:39 pm we are likely wanting a batch of credits this weekend mark
I am likely wanting a batch of college girls this weekend. So who has the better chance of getting what they want?
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

They are in the TOC in the S36 Overnight Reruns and the "We Love You Alex" episode aired tonight and it just hits different now hes gone. :( :( :(
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

Pardon me for this mini-rant.

We see on the board from time to time questions if math is still being taught in schools when we see some baffling wagering.

My observations over the last year is that people do not learn how to use common sense when dealing with risk.

(Full disclosure: I learned formal approaches and techniques for risk management about 15 years ago while pursuing work related certifications in the quality field. This included risk identification, risk assessment and prioritization, and risk avoidance and mitigation.)
OCSam
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm.....":

https://nypost.com/2021/02/02/san-franc ... arts-dept/

"... a decision has been made to change the name of their department, “VAPA,” which is short for visual and performing arts."

So, one might think the new name would be acronym-free.

"The new name will be SFUSD Arts Department."

Um, OK.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 pm Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm.....":

"... a decision has been made to change the name of their department, “VAPA,” which is short for visual and performing arts."

Um, OK.
I thought once they got that closet Klanswoman Dianne Feinstein’s name off the school all would be well in race relations in San Francisco schools.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

econgator wrote: Tue Feb 02, 2021 9:02 pm Things that make you go, "Hmmmmm.....":

Um, OK.

Technically VAPA is an acronym and SFUSD is an initialism.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Never famous enough for a J! clue (and not for the Current Events thread): I got a call from a family friend that is close friends with Charlie & his wife that NFL player and College Hall of Famer Charlie Krueger (age 84) died. I'm posting it here as a time stamp to compare when the news gets more widely released. I met Charlie when I was in third grade. Nice guy.