Thursday, February 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Re: Thursday, February 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Bamaman »

Fourth podium win is possible.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

removed
Last edited by morbeedo on Fri Feb 19, 2021 12:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm Prosecco was my favorite WAG of the night, followed by the stab at a lucky Johnson. Go Leah!!
Sorry, but A Stillness at the OK Corral wins for me.
Haha yes, that’s the clear winner !
Foretopman
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Foretopman »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:46 pm Fourth podium win is possible.
I picked up the full $7600 of LT and got FJ!. Unfortunately I didn't do very well otherwise. I said "gold gloves" (which is baseball) instead of "golden gloves; Bolivia instead of Paraguay (RTFC!); and blurted out Peru when I knew darn well it was Ecuador. :oops:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: War, Defining Moment
Daily Doubles: :D :oops: (Chile) :D
trash: Young Sheldon :o , Midway DD, Bismarck, caucus
FJ: guessed Blaine. I thought Bryan was an enemy of the mining industry? :?
judges: chronological for linear? :?:
Alan coulda had a lock if not for going the wrong direction on Pakistan & missing Midway. :|
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

DBear wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 pm judges: chronological for linear? :?:
Seems OK. I went with non-sequential.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $39,800
51 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Young Sheldon

I really liked Alan and am glad to see him win, but oof, what a way for Andy to go out.
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 1:48 pm Oh Andy.

He got crucified on a cross of gold, that looked just like a lower-case t.
This is much better than whatever "cross of gold" punchline I was going to come up with. Bravo.

Sometimes I wonder whether J! contestants actually watch the show. Not knowing Young Sheldon after 9,678 Iain Armitage clues?!

Then again, I confused myself on the fan fiction clue by mixing up EL James and Henry James, so what do I know?

All those Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante commercials from the '80s paid dividends tonight.
Sprinkles are for winners.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:57 pm Sometimes I wonder whether J! contestants actually watch the show. Not knowing Young Sheldon after 9,678 Iain Armitage clues?!
Another case where, much like pardo/moreno, one bit of unfamiliar information was enough to throw me miles off course. I don't watch Young Sheldon so I didn't know the names of any other characters, and that kept me from processing just how blatantly the clue was saying "Young Sheldon" without actually saying it.

I think Sheldon Cooper is the worst character in the history of fiction, but that's beside the point.
cinemaniax7
Humble Pi

Post by cinemaniax7 »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm Theoretically, one could have a longer winning streak than Ken Jennings and walk away with all of $1,075 to show for it. Them's the rules!
Theoretically, everybody would stop watching the show long before the champion reached 74 wins under this scenario.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got William Jennings Bryan after briefly toying with Franklin Pierce. But the TOM for me was that the clue mentioned "first campaign," meaning it was somebody who ran more than once. And I knew it was a loser, because we've never had a president who was that young. Pierce ran only once; Bryan ran three times.

All during the thought music, I was recalling a game of the Joker's Wild where a contestant was ruled incorrect for making exactly the same mistake the champ did.

I always thought the whole point of having tough Jeopardy tests was to keep people who only know to make wags off the program. Leah repeatedly made them, and she had no confidence at all when she did. Her main break in the game was that she got a ridiculously simple Daily Double. Anyone who knew that the pope is based in Rome and Mussolini was dictator of Italy would have gotten that correct.

The Jetsons ran only one season.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

Tough game to watch. I thought for sure Leah was going to go with Hitler instead of Mussolini. A Stillness At the OK Corral? Okay then. Easy FJ.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

floridagator wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:38 pm I always thought the whole point of having tough Jeopardy tests was to keep people who only know to make wags off the program.
This seems like a fundamental misunderstanding of the Jeopardy! test. First of all it's not that tough, and second of all you get to take a free guess at all 50 clues on the Jeopardy! test. If you know 20 of them and manage to guess right on half of the other 30, that's 35 and you can get on the show. However going 50/50 on guesses is not going to serve you well on the show, and neither is only knowing ~40% of clues.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

My FJ streak comes to a screeching halt. Silver made me think of Nevada which got me precisely nowhere. Never made the silver-gold connection to get to Bryan. Most perceptive comment of the night courtesy of my son: “She [Leah] is guessing too much”
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

The category told me it would be a fairly narrow list of possible answers - it's going to be a loser who never won, and how many losers are going to be appropriate responses? Basically, we're looking for an also-ran, a might-have-been, or an almost-was. Somehow, Charles Cotesworth Pinckney doesn't seem likely to be picked. Looking at the list, Henry Clay and Stephen A. Douglas are the only other ones from the 1800s that I think would be important enough to know, but historians, have at me.

One of my favorite childhood movies is The Wizard of Oz - when I was little and sick from school, I'd curl up on a blanket and watch our Betamax copy of it glassy-eyed, full of grape Dimetapp. I recently rewatched it, and I guess as a child I never paid attention at all to the beginning, because I really only knew the part from "Over the Rainbow" forward. Maybe the Betamax tape was incomplete? Maybe the Dimetapp? I dunno. I say this because, years later in 7th grade history, we read the book during our discussion of the gold standard, because the book is basically a long list of symbols - yellow brick road, silver (not ruby!) slippers, and Oz. I vaguely remembered something about silver connecting to the correct candidate. Combine that with the fact that one of my favorite books/plays is Inherit the Wind, and FJ! should have been a slam-dunk.

Mother. Bleeping. T. As the first wrong answer was revealed, I noticed it, and realized I'd made a coinflip, and I was now officially 10% confident of my answer, instead of 100%.

I clamed on the double parable...although J! has had categories in the past where the responses in a category from top to bottom are "X, X, X, X, ha - not X, Y!". Today, that wouldn't work so well - at least, for the comedic effect. But have they ever repeated from J! to DJ!? (And, no, not "Author known for his invisible hand" followed by "Granny _____ apples".)

Triage hit hard for me today, as I'm in Massachusetts, and had to do it with my parents getting them appointments for the vaccine. Do they not understand that people who are 75 and older frequently have husbands/wives who are 75 and older...and they might like to go together? Ugh.

Precalled calligraphy in the "graphy" category, which seemed easy for DJ!. But on the other hand, "editorial cartoon"? I assume political wouldn't be allowed. That's some heavy lifting for the top row - NHO "editorial cartoon", but "political cartoon" is a thing I've heard of all the time.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

By the way, William Jennings Bryan "...could...go...all...the...way!" :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J ... opped).jpg
A Wray
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by A Wray »

Thank goodness for that T. It meant that Ken's pause after Andy's "political" response -- which was unambiguously wrong -- didn't cost Alan the game.
AntmanB wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:16 pm I Put Down Biden just to have something Down. i could think of any young people who didnt win.
Biden is old, but he's not that old!
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I knew Barry Blitt because when Larry King died, someone shared a MAD article to which he contributed a cartoon of King.

I've never heard them called "editorial cartoons" either.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Remember—
William Jennings BryaN: politiciaN
William Cullen BryanT: poeT

Ever since I noticed that, I've never had to worry whether I was saying one's last name for the other.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 2/4 on big clues. I missed Midway. I guessed Andrew Jackson instead of Bryan. Chicago Midway, the airport, is named for the Battle of Midway, and it looks like it is not related to the Chicago World's Fair Midway from the daily double. But they were both in Chicago so that's a good connection. Jackson supported at least one policy that helped silver and he lost his first election in the 19th century.

I went with hawking instead of falconry. It seems like it fits.

I'm surprised that convention was wrong for caucus. The online version of Merriam-Webster is a little different than what the show quoted. But I guess they wanted the focus on the local part.

There were several easy clues I missed this time that I can get next time. Little Sheldon instead of Young Sheldon by mistake. Missed Billy Crystal and Vin Scully. Also matcha and macrame.
DBear wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 8:32 pm judges: chronological for linear? :?:
Nonlinear is more accurate. In one of those stories the narrative jumps into a fictional subplot and back out without necessarily having time as a factor.
talkingaway wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:09 pm ..."editorial cartoon"? I assume political wouldn't be allowed. That's some heavy lifting for the top row - NHO "editorial cartoon", but "political cartoon" is a thing I've heard of all the time.
Right, they were asking for a category and the name of that specific Pulitzer Prize is Editorial Cartooning. I missed that one.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
ACW

Post by ACW »

mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm
ACW wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:42 pm So Andy gets a grand total of $2,999? That seems wrong somehow.

IMHO, if someone wins a game with under $2k, they should bump it up to $3k, or at least $2,500.
Theoretically, one could have a longer winning streak than Ken Jennings and walk away with all of $1,075 to show for it. Them's the rules!
Which makes me wonder: Would that person make it to the TOC, or would they not have enough money?