New old games in the J! Archive

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Re: New old games in the J! Archive

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:46 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 7:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 5:23 pm Jay’s player page for his regular games doesn’t link to his TOC and UTOC games.
I think I fixed it.
Looks good to me.

(The player pages are sort of a "before, during, and after," with the "during" being the stint of games linking to the page you're on. So Jay had three stints, with his initial appearance page not showing UToC games, and vice versa. The way you can see all games from all stints on one page is to click the "player statistics" link at the bottom.)
How does one find/decide on the right player page to look at? I always want the one with links to ALL the player's games. Finding that for someone like Brad Rutter is a nightmare.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:16 pm How does one find/decide on the right player page to look at? I always want the one with links to ALL the player's games. Finding that for someone like Brad Rutter is a nightmare.
I have nightmares about being pursued, family members dying, losing teeth, realizing I forgot to show up for a class all semester, my house burning down, and apologizing to toxic people who have wronged me, but I have never had a nightmare about not finding a page with a link to all of Brad Rutter's archived games. Whew! https://www.j-archive.com/showplayersta ... yer_id=278

I mean, the answer was in the post you quoted, and directly above your nightmare statement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:15 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 8:16 pm How does one find/decide on the right player page to look at? I always want the one with links to ALL the player's games. Finding that for someone like Brad Rutter is a nightmare.
I have nightmares about being pursued, family members dying, losing teeth, realizing I forgot to show up for a class all semester, my house burning down, and apologizing to toxic people who have wronged me, but I have never had a nightmare about not finding a page with a link to all of Brad Rutter's archived games. Whew! https://www.j-archive.com/showplayersta ... yer_id=278

I mean, the answer was in the post you quoted, and directly above your nightmare statement.
Wait, what the heck is that???

15+ years of helping out with the Archive, and it never occurred to me to click the [player statistics] link. That's really cool.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:52 pm
Robert K S wrote: Sat Feb 13, 2021 9:15 pm

Wait, what the heck is that???

15+ years of helping out with the Archive, and it never occurred to me to click the [player statistics] link. That's really cool.
And apparently all 10 Brad Rutter contestant pages link to the same set of statistics, but bring the unique picture from their own page to it. What could be more obvious? :D
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 9/27/85: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6940

Player pics of Allen Ury, Diane Cope & Dane Garrett:
Spoiler
I edited out the stuff on Dane's bio (and CF #1) about the uncertainty surrounding Dane's number of wins. Dane tying in both his debut and 1st defense seem to match all of the information.

Prayers for Jimmy Carter as archiving this game has me hoping no freaky coincidence happens this week. Nice job on the civics knowledge by the players as the most recent example in 1985 was LBJ in 1973.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I added 4/11/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6941
Player pics of Gregory Charles, Kathy Collins & Donald Burgo:
Spoiler
Getting all that jazz in for the German "strip" guy sure wasted time both for me and the contestants.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:51 pm I added 4/11/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6941
Spoiler
Getting all that jazz in for the German "strip" guy sure wasted time both for me and the contestants.
Shades of Leopold and "Leeb". #BarbaraLowe
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sun Feb 14, 2021 11:51 pm I added 4/11/86: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6941
Spoiler
Honestly, I heard Donald say it with two syllables ("mee-bus"), so I thought the reversal was generous, but maybe so soon in the wake of Barbara Lowe's "Leopold and Leeb" being accepted, they felt they had to be.

edit: On another listen, I thought I might be able to hear the second vowel do a subtle diphthong where there could conceivably be another vowel before the U, so I suppose it's fine as is. I still think it's two syllables, though.
bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Here's 5-31-1991 that's not in the J-Archive.

https://archive.org/details/jeopardy-may-31-1991
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

bigblue999 wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 10:17 pm Here's 5-31-1991 that's not in the J-Archive.

Can anyone make out what Alex is saying over the applause at the end of Fred's interview?

The game is in now:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6946

Two of the players are deceased and have extremely interesting obituaries. (A detail from Fred's obituary, cross-referenced against the Finals resource, confirms the date of this episode.) Las Vegas-area attorney David is apparently still alive and was quoted six years ago in this NYT piece about fantasy sports and gambling law. https://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/16/spor ... evada.html
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

My best guess is "I hope you're getting a lot of benefit about that; I know it made you feel good." although I'm not sure if that's 'you're getting' or 'we're getting'.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

In addition to the end of Fred's interview, I'm having a hard time hearing what Alex says at the end of the show, right before "an exciting two weeks, with big, big bucks being won by our contestants."
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

teapot37 wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:42 am My best guess is "I hope you're getting a lot of benefit about that; I know it made you feel good." although I'm not sure if that's 'you're getting' or 'we're getting'.
It's "...you're getting a lot of benefit out of that;"
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am In addition to the end of Fred's interview, I'm having a hard time hearing what Alex says at the end of the show, right before "an exciting two weeks, with big, big bucks being won by our contestants."
Best I've got is "Boy, have we put in an exciting two weeks with ..."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 6:33 am The game is in now:
https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6946
If what Alex said about Fred's win in the previous game (as you cited on his player page) was correct at the time, it was out of date less than a month later, thanks to Mark Born.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Thanks for getting the game in and to complete it I filled in Alec's 2-day total of $34,898.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:16 am Thanks for getting the game in and to complete it I filled in Alec's 2-day total of $34,898.
In his first game we see him exceed the cover wager with the max "keep third locked out" wager; did he do similarly in his second game? Just curious, since his total is pretty high (and the 98 ending could mean he successfully did a max lockout wager a second time).
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:16 am Thanks for getting the game in and to complete it I filled in Alec's 2-day total of $34,898.
In his first game we see him exceed the cover wager with the max "keep third locked out" wager; did he do similarly in his second game? Just curious, since his total is pretty high (and the 98 ending could mean he successfully did a max lockout wager a second time).
9300+8999=18299

Margaret: 300-300=0
Mike: 11800-11300=500
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:54 am
seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 10:31 am
9300+8999=18299

Margaret: 300-300=0
Mike: 11800-11300=500
Odd choice.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 9:19 am
Robert K S wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 8:38 am In addition to the end of Fred's interview, I'm having a hard time hearing what Alex says at the end of the show, right before "an exciting two weeks, with big, big bucks being won by our contestants."
Best I've got is "Boy, have we put in an exciting two weeks with ..."
I hear it more clearly now. It's "And boy, has this been an exciting two weeks, with..."