Thursday, February 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Thursday, February 18, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

ACW wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 4:36 am
mas3cf wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 5:24 pm
ACW wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 4:42 pm So Andy gets a grand total of $2,999? That seems wrong somehow.

IMHO, if someone wins a game with under $2k, they should bump it up to $3k, or at least $2,500.
Theoretically, one could have a longer winning streak than Ken Jennings and walk away with all of $1,075 to show for it. Them's the rules!
Which makes me wonder: Would that person make it to the TOC, or would they not have enough money?
Number of wins is always the first consideration in the ToC rankings. The alternate at mine was a 3x champ who out-earned every 4x champ who actually made the tournament (and me).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I managed to confuse William Jennings Bryan with William Jennings Bryan. I thought I remembered him as the gold standard guy, but then I thought was he was the Scopes Monkey Trial guy? But he couldn't have been both, could he, given the timing? Is the Monkey trial guy a different three-named guy? Oh well, I know Bryan was the gold standard guy so I'll go with him. I was wrong; he was both. But I got it right. 'T'-less and all.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 am I managed to confuse William Jennings Bryan with William Jennings Bryan. I thought I remembered him as the gold standard guy, but then I thought was he was the Scopes Monkey Trial guy? But he couldn't have been both, could he, given the timing? Is the Monkey trial guy a different three-named guy? Oh well, I know Bryan was the gold standard guy so I'll go with him. I was wrong; he was both. But I got it right. 'T'-less and all.
I knew they were the same guy, but my sense of him is shaped by his place in the 20th C., the Scopes trial and that he was an old man during it (a sense influenced by Inherit the Wind, and the knowledge that he died right after the trial). I was aware of the 1896 campaign and the "Cross of Gold" speech, but his youth in that election never made an impression. In fact, he was only 65 during the Scopes trial.
I went with Jackson, who, as MattKnowles pointed out above, also lost his first campaign for president in 1824. He was in his 50s at the time though...
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 7:24 am I managed to confuse William Jennings Bryan with William Jennings Bryan.
At least you didn't confuse him for Woodrow Wilson's neutralist Secretary of State who established the Federal Reserve.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I got it from knowing Bryan's first presidential candidacy was at age 36, a fact I learned from a winning effort on the QuicWit app (two convoluted trivia questions a day, Googling encouraged, first correct response on a question wins a prize, usually some gadget around $25). The question about Bryan indicated that he lost many times, including once to the heaviest man ever to hold his job; I got it off that, having learned that very day (from a post by nserven in the Final Jeopardy thread here) that Taft had beaten him the third time he ran. But another clue in the question was that Bryan had become the youngest man to accomplish something in one of his losses; in confirming Bryan fit that portion, I learned how young he was when he was first nominated.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I put Teddy Roosevelt for FJ. I knew he was young when he became President following McKinley's death and thought maybe he had run for President before that.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:45 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm Prosecco was my favorite WAG of the night, followed by the stab at a lucky Johnson. Go Leah!!
Sorry, but A Stillness at the OK Corral wins for me.
I was about to say... anything but that there.

I'm fairly good at geography but not much on spirits.
Was Asti a reasonable grab?

William Jennings Bryan vs. William Cullen Bryant
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:46 pm Fourth podium win is possible.
Haha, totally agree. I think i got around 50 this game. One of my best.

Would have lost in FJ though. very weak in late-1800's.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm Prosecco was my favorite WAG of the night
Prosecco seemed like a great guess to me. I said Asti, but when she said Prosecco I thought she could possibly be correct, and turns out Prosecco is also named for an Italian town.
[not sure if you're implying that Prosecco was a poor guess or a good one]
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 11:32 am
morbeedo wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 7:42 pm Prosecco was my favorite WAG of the night
Prosecco seemed like a great guess to me. I said Asti, but when she said Prosecco I thought she could possibly be correct, and turns out Prosecco is also named for an Italian town.
[not sure if you're implying that Prosecco was a poor guess or a good one]
My wife said Prosecco, and she knows her wines. So I didn’t think that one was too crazy
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 18, 2021 11:11 pm By the way, William Jennings Bryan "...could...go...all...the...way!" :lol:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/William_J ... opped).jpg
I guess my joke either wasn't funny or else no one got it. I thought WJB looked just like a 19th century Chris Berman in that photo.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

seaborgium wrote: Fri Feb 19, 2021 1:36 am Remember—
William Jennings BryaN: politiciaN
William Cullen BryanT: poeT
Or remember the anagram "winningly jabs mineral" and note the absence of "t".
I'm smart and I want respect.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I knew Bryan was an enemy of the gold standard, didn't make any sense that he would favor silver. :?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

If Andy had put down William Jenning Bryan, that would have really hurt.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

For those who follow Jeopardy on Twitter or other such platforms: Has there been any outcry that Andy should have been given credit for his response of Bryant? I certainly don’t think he should, but I could see people make that argument since he obviously knew who they were going for, he just got the name slightly wrong.
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 am he obviously knew who they were going for
I find myself thinking this periodically but it is a terrible idea. Whether a response is correct or not is usually pretty cut and dried; whether a response is "close enough" is open to interpretation and opens a huge can of worms.
kprather895
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kprather895 »

heppm01 wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 10:11 am
Bamaman wrote: Sat Feb 20, 2021 7:29 am he obviously knew who they were going for
I find myself thinking this periodically but it is a terrible idea. Whether a response is correct or not is usually pretty cut and dried; whether a response is "close enough" is open to interpretation and opens a huge can of worms.
Especially after decades of precedent to the contrary. If the show decided to go the "close enough" route, there will be hundreds of former players wanting to be invited back.
goongas

Post by goongas »

I debated with myself whether the last name ended with a T, luckily I convinced myself that it didn't before time ran out.
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

Blech, 2 triple stumpers in a row. I wouldn’t have had a chance myself.

6/10 (B-)
It's the end of the journey that counts.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Missed the Bottom Two in Sitcom by Characters.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Young Sheldon, (Midway), Otto von Bismarck, Appomattox, Caucus, Asti
Douglas Squasoni