Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
MOVIE DIRECTORS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Along with his writing partner, this director is the only person to win screenwriting Oscars for both a film & its sequel

Sam Stapleton: 19200-3201=15999
Aaron Craig: 11200+10827=22027 (New Champ)
Frances Kriegh: 11000-10900=100

Correct response:
Spoiler
Francis Ford Coppola (Sam – Tarantino) (Frances – Mike Nichols)

Daily Doubles
Frances: 3600+2000
Sam: 6800+4000
Sam: 21200-2000

Coryats
Sam: 19200
Aaron: 11200
Frances: 9800

Combined: 40,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Sam: 4000
Aaron: 4800
Frances: 5800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Alert for the extended credits brigade. It's a full one today that goes on so long it runs out of staff names.

Mike once again opened with sincere remarks.

Sam could not get the runaway he needed to be able to escape a miss in the FJ! round. 1/3 indicates it was not the best part of the show for him.

Sam left 2800 on the table at DD2 and if nothing else changes (a big if) then that would have been 22,000 exactly for the FJ! round and Aaron had enough to pass it.

On the other hand Sam may then have been in a position to bet less on DD3 which he eventually found.

DD3 was hiding until near the end and it was exciting to see who would find it. Aaron or Frances were nearly locked out and may have bet big if they found it although PHYSICS in a $1600 box can scare a lot of J! players.

Sam found it and lost 2000 while a solve would have been enough to cinch the match.

Another scenario is Aaron finds DD3 and gets it to have the lead for the FJ! round and with his solve win $38,401. Or on a miss then Sam only has to wager low to cover Frances and wins a third game.

The FJ! category had me think Ang Lee, Tarantino, Spielberg, Allen & Hitchcock.

The FJ! clue had done instantly and unlike Aaron I only gave him one L.

Sam, like so many others, led for the FJ! round and missed a movie-related clue. It's happened many times while viewers get the solve in a category that often plays better for the home audience.
MarkBarrett

Re: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by MarkBarrett »

The J! round went fast enough that I decided to finish the game before lunch: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6949
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Re: Tuesday, February 23, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by tddeveryday »

That was probably the first time Michael Moorcock has ever been mentioned on the show. I've been wondering why they kept overlooking him for so long.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm That was probably the first time Michael Moorcock has ever been mentioned on the show. I've been wondering why they kept overlooking him for so long.
NHO him, or the series. Looks like he's still alive, at age 81, and, this notable line from his Wikipedia entry: "In 2020 he said he was completing the very last Elric novel The Citadel of Lost Dragons ready for Elric's 60th anniversary in 2021."

(At only 72, George R.R. Martin is a baby in comparison. But Martin will almost certainly never finish A Song of Ice and Fire.)
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:03 pm That was probably the first time Michael Moorcock has ever been mentioned on the show. I've been wondering why they kept overlooking him for so long.
NHO him, or the series.[/i].)
I don't read fantasy, but the only reason I know about Moorcock is because he's been recommended by some comic book writers I used to love. (But he doesn't really write comics himself.) This is going back a while, but back when I read comics, I remember recommendations about his writing from Alan Moore and Warren Ellis.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Another case of not thinking things through and putting Puzo. I’ll blame it on COVID.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I don't mind Mike's hosting so far. His energy/enthusiasm feels awkward compared to Ken or Alex, but other than that, he's doing a solid job for filling in the gaps. I won't mind seeing him for 8 more episodes.

FJ was an instaget. "Oscars" + "sequel" pretty much leads to only The Godfather or Lord of the Rings, and I think Jackson's Oscars only came from the third entry.

Sad but not surprised to see nobody broke out a Sean Connery accent for the "S" words category. If I were on this episode, I'd be indulging myself with that every chance I got.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Another Sweet Tribute to alex by Mike at the Beginning.

I was thing Lord of the Rings, not the Godfather so wrote down Peter Jackson.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

tddeveryday wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:48 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 5:15 pm
NHO him, or the series.[/i].)
I don't read fantasy, but the only reason I know about Moorcock is because he's been recommended by some comic book writers I used to love. (But he doesn't really write comics himself.) This is going back a while, but back when I read comics, I remember recommendations about his writing from Alan Moore and Warren Ellis.
Moorcock is one of my favorite authors. I have all of the Elric/Corum/Hawkmoon books.

I knew I was sunk with the category. I pay no attention to directors. I knew it was for The Godfather and II, but that's as far as I got.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $37,200
46 R/0 W
DD: 2/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Delta, baths, September, Coulomb

I'm not good at movies, but "movie and its sequel win big at the Oscars" = The Godfather.
The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm Sad but not surprised to see nobody broke out a Sean Connery accent for the "S" words category. If I were on this episode, I'd be indulging myself with that every chance I got.
Mike called attention to this gag in the worst way possible. It would have been charming and funny had he said, while introducing the category, something to the effect of "And finally, we had Swords in the Jeopardy! round. This time around, we have 'S' Words. Hopefully Alex and Sean Connery are watching this episode together right now." Instead, he acted like he was ashamed of the joke.

Sorry to double down on the host criticism, but I also wish he had explained Roman Times $1000 after the stand-and-stare. The clue contained a subtle but crucial hint. Something like "July is named for Julius Caesar and August is named for Augustus, so Caligula was 'following a trend' by trying to rename September" would have educated the audience, shown how the clue was solvable, and provided a smooth ending point for the J! round.
Sprinkles are for winners.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I unplugged my DVR in the middle of this episode, caught all of double Jeopardy and final live, then went back and watched the recorded portion of single jeopardy. Very strange

MR makes good for you sound even more disinterested than Alex

Instaget Final. What the other poster said about Oscar winners and sequels

NHO spinnet, Bobby Jones, Elric or Duncan Fife (ETA: it’s Phyfe!) That’s a lot of unknown-to-me’s for one game

I’d like to think I’d have the cojones to go TDD on Physics at $1600 if the situation called for it !
Last edited by morbeedo on Tue Feb 23, 2021 8:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

morbeedo wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:51 pm
NHO spinnet, Bobby Jones, Elric or Duncan Fife. That’s a lot of unknown-to-me’s for one game

I’d like to think I’d have the cojones to go TDD on Physics at $1600 if the situation called for it !
When the Elric clue came up, I said to my wife, "I've never heard about five of those words before."

I'd absolutely go TDD in Physics.
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

The Talking Mime wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 6:18 pm I don't mind Mike's hosting so far. His energy/enthusiasm feels awkward compared to Ken or Alex, but other than that, he's doing a solid job for filling in the gaps. I won't mind seeing him for 8 more episodes.
Ditto. I never heard of this guy, literally (OK, sue me, I don't read the credits). When found out what his day job is I sort of expected a stereotypical nerdy behind-the-scenes guy. But he has been a most pleasant surprise. And I don't mind this level of energy/enthusiasm, as long as it doesn't mutate into Let's-Make-a-Deal levels.

For the second night in a row I broke into a cold sweat at the sight of categories that are far from my strongest. And for the second night in a row a pleasant-surprise get. As another post said, Oscar-winning movie and Oscar-winning sequel took me straight to Godfather, and it's one of the few director roles I actually know. Go figure.

And I even pulled out DD-3, the $2K clue in physics. My dear departed dad, the physics teacher, would be so happy that I didn't fall THAT far from the tree.

:D
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 7:46 pm
I'm not good at movies, but "movie and its sequel win big at the Oscars" = The Godfather.
That was how I got it. I haven't seen the movie or its sequel in a few years so I wasn't 100% sure it was Coppola but that was my only answer for it.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I instantly knew it had to be the director of The Godfather and The Godfather Part II. But then inexplicably I put down Scorsese.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: 4 Letters/3 Syllables, Swords, Roman Times, Africa,
Daily Doubles: :D :D :x (ultraviolet instead of infrared)
trash: Delta, Elric 8-) , Gandalf :o , baths, September, Coulomb,
FJ: Who is Francis Ford Coppola? (Godfather 1 & 2) :mrgreen: Don't like the category, but this was a softball
Michael Moorcock also wrote lyrics for rock bands such as Blue Oyster Cult & Hawkwind :ugeek:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Not a glimmer of hope for me in TV Show Quotes. Can't say I've heard of Blacklist, Black-ish, or Silicon Valley (the show) before.

Was also 0/5 in Swords.

Critically acclaimed movie + critically acclaimed sequel is a match I can always make to the Godfather movies. It took me nearly the entire music but I successfully pulled the name in time.

Lach Trash: Delta, September, coulomb