Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

I’ve been to Shakespeare’s house in Stratford and took a peaceful boat ride on the Avon so that was nice to remember. Good game overall. I like Mike Richards as a host. Quick on the fly. Aaron got lucky today.
talkingaway

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by talkingaway »

I love these kinds of FJ! clues. So obvious in retrospect, and once you get the right response, it almost self-corrects itself, like a checksum. But it's still a tough one to get. I went the "name as many cosmetics/fragrance companies as you can" route, and got Chanel, Lancome, and Loreal. I must not have heard the doorbell ring with the correct response calling.

Jack Lemon is worth 1000? Man, I feel old, and I don't watch a ton of old movies. You don't have to watch really old movies to know him - Grumpy Old Men is a great watch, and it's only from 1993, which is just...oh, crap. I am old.

I wonder if both TARDIS and police box were acceptable responses to the Doctor Who question. I'm always a little leery of clues with multiple possible responses when they're different - we had one yesterday, too.

I liked the exchange of wanting to change a category, although the "hand on ear" thing was a little cheesy. Is there a late show comic who hasn't done that gag? Still, overall, a good job from Mike Richards. Interesting that he's not introduced as "executive producer and guest host", and just as the former. For my money, the only two legit options that have been announced so far for a permanent host are Ken and Mike. The others may be interesting and fun (minus one), but I don't see them in the job full time. With his recent reemergence on GSN game shows, GOAT J!, and The Chase, Ken seems to be interested in revisiting his game show roots, and I'm all for it.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, February 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS) by Archivists

Post by seaborgium »

Somehow I overlooked "the home of" in FJ for the first 15 seconds; I was like "I don't know of any playwrights named L'Oreal or Clairol or Maybelline or..." and then I saw it and heaved a sigh of relief.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I have a feeling that FJ clue was pretty easy for those of us in the over 50 demo. Avon was a bigger deal 40 years ago. Would younger people even know Avon exists?
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 pm I have a feeling that FJ clue was pretty easy for those of us in the over 50 demo. Avon was a bigger deal 40 years ago. Would younger people even know Avon exists?
Depends if they're fans of Edward Scissorhands or not
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Well, I don't know many playwrights or many cosmetic brands. But old cosmetic brands? Coco Chanel (not a playwright) and Avon (yeah, that works). I don't tend to think of brand name cosmetics being a thing until post-war, or at least with the advent of talking pictures.

My PSA for today: Not that they will come up on a future show, but other semi-familiar names from the era are: Erno Laslo (1921), Chanel no. 5 (1921), and Elizabeth Arden (1930).

Great ad lib on the DD skit. If Mike likes the close horse races that much, I wonder if he could use his executive producer superpower to the viewers in on the fun with a permanent on-screen chyron
Spoiler
I just learned this term:
chy·ron
an electronically generated caption superimposed on a television or movie screen.
of the player's scores?

Maybe I haven't noticed, but we don't have 3 male contestants very often. I know the stats are here somewhere. A very solid game and I didn't recognize a lot of the answers on some hard material. Pulling Tolstoy just seems impossible to me.

I think Toronto probably did win that game if you count only the legal runs. Aaron is doing well, but had some luck today. I always pull for a Canadian since they have a significant disadvantage.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:41 pm I have a feeling that FJ clue was pretty easy for those of us in the over 50 demo. Avon was a bigger deal 40 years ago. Would younger people even know Avon exists?
Fair point. But I think Avon is iconic for their multi-level-marketing scheme/scam as well as their doorbell meme (Avon calling) and once popular collectible containers. I hope the show stays relevant, even if it makes us Boomers grumble about the clues about Netflix and Hulu.
I arbitrarily think of Stratford as the Bard's home and Avon is just the River, but I can go along with centuries of precedent if I have to :lol:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Did Horse & Writer for $800 seem a little difficult to anyone else?
Elizabeth in his novel "The Pioneers" is based on his sister Hannah, who died when she fractured her skull falling off a horse
I wasn't surprised it was a triple stumper.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $44,000
51 R/2 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: trombonist, Sharon Tate, Zane Grey

My wife and I are nearly 100% sure Jack Johnson (the surfer-songwriter, not the boxer) asked us where the bagels are a couple of months ago at the Waipio, HI Costco.

Unless it's in an awful category, I see no reason not to go TDD on DD1. Why leave $1600 on the table on a clue that you are very likely to get right?

Not sure how DD3 was anything more than "pick a late-18th/early-19th century Russian author. Was there more of a hook there that I missed?
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:21 am Did Horse & Writer for $800 seem a little difficult to anyone else?
Elizabeth in his novel "The Pioneers" is based on his sister Hannah, who died when she fractured her skull falling off a horse
It was a NHO from me, dawg.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:21 am Did Horse & Writer for $800 seem a little difficult to anyone else?
Yes. I never heard of the book and all I could think of was Willa Cather - or something Scandinavian. (There's a movie/book called The Emigrants).
davey

Post by davey »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:35 am Coryat: $44,000

Not sure how DD3 was anything more than "pick a late-18th/early-19th century Russian author. Was there more of a hook there that I missed?

Yasnaya Polyana is reasonably famous as Russian writers' estates go.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:21 amBut I think Avon is iconic for their multi-level-marketing scheme/scam as well as their doorbell meme (Avon calling) and once popular collectible containers.
Is Avon MLM? I thought they were simply door-to-door, and that isn't necessarily an MLM like Amway.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 12:04 am
Would younger people even know Edward Scissorhands exists? (It came out over 30 years ago.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 pm I didn't even think of Shakespeare.
DItto. I cycled through all the 19th and 20th century playwrights I could think of, and tried to think if they lived in houses with names, like, you know, Graceland. Shaw? No. Wilde? Maybe, but I don't know it. Chekov? Wilson? No. Miller? Ibsen? Beckett? Williams? O'Neill? Simon? Coward? Out of time.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Spent five seconds scrambling, then worked backwards and knew by Stratford it was probably correct.

Excellent game all around. Found the boards pretty challenging. Happy with Altman and Tashkent pulls from the couch.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

alietr wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 5:32 am Is Avon MLM?
Consensus on the intarwebs seems to be that it is, but it's one of the gentler ones.
davey

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 8:08 am
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:42 pm I didn't even think of Shakespeare.
DItto. I cycled through all the 19th and 20th century playwrights I could think of, and tried to think if they lived in houses with names, like, you know, Graceland. Shaw? No. Wilde? Maybe, but I don't know it. Chekov? Wilson? No. Miller? Ibsen? Beckett? Williams? O'Neill? Simon? Coward? Out of time.
GBS lived at Shaw's Corner, in the village of Ayot St Lawrence, outside the town of Welwyn Garden City in Hertfordshire. I was there once, years ago... :ugeek:
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

I'm 34 and I got it, but probably because I watched Edward Scissorhands and remember "Avon calling!"
Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 am
Would younger people even know Edward Scissorhands exists? (It came out over 30 years ago.)
I don't know if I qualify as a younger person anymore but younger people are indeed aware of movies from before they were born.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

zakharov wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:48 am
I'm 34 and I got it, but probably because I watched Edward Scissorhands and remember "Avon calling!"
Woppy T wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 6:21 am
I don't know if I qualify as a younger person anymore but younger people are indeed aware of movies from before they were born.
What? That sounds like crazy talk. And your little dog Toto, too... Ah ha ha ha!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

zakharov wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:48 am
That's a nice way in. I've seen the movie, but it's been 30 years.