The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

TenPoundHammer

Re: The Official TPH Education Thread (POTENTIAL GAME DAY SPOILERS)

Post by TenPoundHammer »

polaris wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 am 1. No one says you HAVE to "blindly guess" London. YOU are the one suggesting "blindly guessing" is involved. The canonical way to answer the question would be to be aware that the first World's Fair was in London in 1851. This is not a piece of knowledge that is secretly guarded by dragons, it is readily available for anyone who wishes to know it.

2. In fact, that's it. There's no second point. It's literally a matter of public record that the first modern fair was in London, so it is possible to definitely and categorically know the answer without "blindly guessing". It's not the clue writer's fault that you don't know this.
It still seems like an EXTREMELY obscure fact for the top box.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Do a search in the archive for “Great Exhibition”. In addition to a number of clues, it also gives two player suggestions. Do the search yourself and check them out.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 pm Do a search in the archive for “Great Exhibition”. In addition to a number of clues, it also gives two player suggestions. Do the search yourself and check them out.
The most recent hit I get is when it got its own category... six years ago.
mas3cf
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:29 pm
Bamaman wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:12 pm Do a search in the archive for “Great Exhibition”. In addition to a number of clues, it also gives two player suggestions. Do the search yourself and check them out.
The most recent hit I get is when it got its own category... six years ago.
For the moment, set aside any thoughts about how often Jeopardy asks about it or when the last time was. The Crystal Palace was just a very cool feat of engineering for its time. Nothing approaching that scale had ever been made of glass before. It's very much worth knowing about - it just had a sad ending when it was destroyed in a fire. And big glass building = Crystal Palace is about the most logical name you could think of for it.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

mas3cf wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 9:42 pm For the moment, set aside any thoughts about how often Jeopardy asks about it or when the last time was. The Crystal Palace was just a very cool feat of engineering for its time. Nothing approaching that scale had ever been made of glass before. It's very much worth knowing about - it just had a sad ending when it was destroyed in a fire. And big glass building = Crystal Palace is about the most logical name you could think of for it.
It's also a generic as mayo on white bread name that you just know is going to fall out of my head again 10 seconds later. Why can't everything have a cool, weird name that I'm actually likely to remember?
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm
polaris wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 11:21 am 1. No one says you HAVE to "blindly guess" London. YOU are the one suggesting "blindly guessing" is involved. The canonical way to answer the question would be to be aware that the first World's Fair was in London in 1851. This is not a piece of knowledge that is secretly guarded by dragons, it is readily available for anyone who wishes to know it.

2. In fact, that's it. There's no second point. It's literally a matter of public record that the first modern fair was in London, so it is possible to definitely and categorically know the answer without "blindly guessing". It's not the clue writer's fault that you don't know this.
Just 'cause you didn't know it (and I'd bet you "don't know" it the next time it comes up) doesn't make obscure.

Here' obscure for you: the first major international chess tournament was held in London, also in 1851.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I still don't see why "first World's Fair" is "zomg super-easy baby's first trivia fact that literally everyone except the dumbass named TenPoundHammer knows" level though.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 1:20 am I still don't see why "first World's Fair" is "zomg super-easy baby's first trivia fact that literally everyone except the dumbass named TenPoundHammer knows" level though.
Nobody said this. In fact, several people agreed that it's a bit harder than a top row clue usually is. But that doesn't mean it's impossible. Just because you don't know something doesn't mean it's unknowable.

I have also been surprised to find that clues I thought were very difficult were considered chestnuts by the folks here. I think it was something about the Hanseatic League for me. It happens, we all have gaps.

For the record, I got it right because I heard about the name of the soccer team when I was younger, got curious how they got their name, looked it up, and now that's stuck with me because it's a cool fact. That's the essence of Jeopardy, and trivia in general. Noticing things, getting curious about things, and remembering things because they're interesting. That's how you get good at Jeopardy.

It's ok not to know things. Nobody goes 61/61 every night. However I encourage you to use these opportunities to learn stuff. You may or may not get better at this particular game, but knowing stuff is cool and good.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote: Tue Feb 23, 2021 11:41 amNobody goes 61/61 every night.
Except LucarioSnooperVixey. :lol:
However I encourage you to use these opportunities to learn stuff. You may or may not get better at this particular game, but knowing stuff is cool and good.
That's what I've been doing since back before the old forums got hacked, and no matter what trick I use, information constantly falls back out of my head half a second after I've learned it.

Which planet is the biggest, again?
polaris
Contributor

Post by polaris »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Sun Feb 21, 2021 5:02 pm

1. Your moving the goalposts. You are now admitting it is possible to get the clue without "blindly guessing". The fact that you don't know it is irrelevant.

2. EVERYTHING is obscure to you. In other words, the average Jeopardy watcher KNOWS things. You overuse the word "literally" but in this case the word applies: You are literally the last person in the world whose judgment should be valued when the obscurity level of facts is up for debate.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

For 212 pages we've been beating the same dead horses:

People who are good at Jeopardy often get clues right where they don't actually know the answer because they can follow hints/guideposts in the clue. Or they're familiar with the general answer range that Jeopardy asks about. Very rarely could the answer be "literally anything." If that were the case, nobody would watch the show because it would be too hard.

People who are good at Jeopardy are good at retaining information. This might be through pure recall, a mnemonic device, or any number of methods. Whatever difficulties you have in retaining/recalling info will not be solved by a message board.

Jeopardy skill is not an accurate indicator of overall intelligence.

Whether you, TPH, know something is not an indicator of how obscure or difficult it is by Jeopardy standards.

Did I miss anything?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 am Whether you, TPH, know something is not an indicator of how obscure or difficult it is by Jeopardy standards.
This.

You want to tell us how easy or difficult a Wheel puzzle is, I'll take your word as damn near gospel, but as to what is or isn't obscure? Nope.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 am For 212 pages we've been beating the same dead horses:

People who are good at Jeopardy often get clues right where they don't actually know the answer because they can follow hints/guideposts in the clue. Or they're familiar with the general answer range that Jeopardy asks about. Very rarely could the answer be "literally anything." If that were the case, nobody would watch the show because it would be too hard.

People who are good at Jeopardy are good at retaining information. This might be through pure recall, a mnemonic device, or any number of methods. Whatever difficulties you have in retaining/recalling info will not be solved by a message board.

Jeopardy skill is not an accurate indicator of overall intelligence.

Whether you, TPH, know something is not an indicator of how obscure or difficult it is by Jeopardy standards.

Did I miss anything?
In the long, proud(?) history of this topic, I wonder how often posts like this appear. At regular intervals, or maybe something logarithmic?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I will confess I had never heard of the Crystal Palace. But I did know about the Great Exhibition of 1851 and got it from that. And I still maintain London is a reasonable guess for the top row if you don’t know.
OrangeSAM
(Unranked)

Post by OrangeSAM »

mahatma wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 1:31 pm
zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 am For 212 pages we've been beating the same dead horses:

In the long, proud(?) history of this topic, I wonder how often posts like this appear. At regular intervals, or maybe something logarithmic?
Certainly not logarithmic. I posted a variation of this just uppage.
OCSam
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 amPeople who are good at Jeopardy often get clues right where they don't actually know the answer because they can follow hints/guideposts in the clue. Or they're familiar with the general answer range that Jeopardy asks about. Very rarely could the answer be "literally anything." If that were the case, nobody would watch the show because it would be too hard.
Then why have I gotten progressively worse the longer I watch? It seems like there is constantly an ever-increasing number of hoops I have to jump through to get to a correct response, and it didn't seem like it used to be that way. And this whole Crystal Palace thing is such a long convoluted path to the correct repsonse that I'm expecting to run into a minotaur.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 2:01 pmAnd I still maintain London is a reasonable guess for the top row if you don’t know.
I still don't see how it's a good guess.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 7:53 pm History for $400 could have been any weapon. I thought sword or spear made more sense as being "long".
Explicitly saying there is a "long" version of the weapon means the more common version is "short"
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Volante wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:54 pm Explicitly saying there is a "long" version of the weapon means the more common version is "short"
Can't say I've heard of a short bow either.

To me, it just seemed like a descriptor.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Feb 22, 2021 12:45 am
It's also a generic as mayo on white bread name that you just know is going to fall out of my head again 10 seconds later. Why can't everything have a cool, weird name that I'm actually likely to remember?
I take it you're not a fan of film score composer John Williams, "King of the Delta Blues" Robert Johnson, "It's Not Unusual" singer Tom Jones, or the man Pocahontas saved, John Smith?
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 10:45 pm
zakharov wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 10:53 amPeople who are good at Jeopardy often get clues right where they don't actually know the answer because they can follow hints/guideposts in the clue. Or they're familiar with the general answer range that Jeopardy asks about. Very rarely could the answer be "literally anything." If that were the case, nobody would watch the show because it would be too hard.
Then why have I gotten progressively worse the longer I watch? It seems like there is constantly an ever-increasing number of hoops I have to jump through to get to a correct response, and it didn't seem like it used to be that way. And this whole Crystal Palace thing is such a long convoluted path to the correct repsonse that I'm expecting to run into a minotaur.
I don't know, man. But if you're an outlier among devoted fans of the show who keep track of how well they do, maybe it's not a problem with the show's difficulty.