Tuesday, March 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, March 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
WORLD LEADERS ADDRESS CONGRESS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The 2 to address 3 joint sessions are Churchill & this leader, his non-European country’s longest-serving PM, in 1996, 2011 & 2015

Jon Spurney: 22400+401=22801 (2x = $60,002)
Jeff Noblitt: 8400-8000=400
Michele Friedlander: 11400-11399=1

Correct response:
Spoiler
Benjamin Netanyahu (Jon – Netenyahu) (Jeff – Tony Blair) (Michele – Fidel Castro)

Daily Doubles
Michele: 2800+1000
Michele: 8600+2000
Jon: 20400+2000

Coryats
Jon: 21600
Jeff: 8400
Michele: 10800

Combined: 40,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Jon: 6800
Jeff: 1600
Michele: 3800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Jon almost opened with a "runversi" getting 1000, 800, 600 and 400 in GUITAR TALK before getting outbuzzed on the $200 clue.

The J! round ended with a DD on clue 30 and in the $400 box. That's probably not too common.

The DD wagering was on the low side with Michele barely avoiding being locked even though she was 2/2 and Jon on DD3 needed 401 more, that he did not add to his score until the FJ! round.

The FJ! category had me thinking it would be a typical spot to stop my 7 in a row as I got lucky getting a worldly FJ! clue yesterday.

Today's clue had me reading it 3-4-5 times trying to grasp what it was saying. What do I do once I have the gist of it? I start in Africa. Dummy. Near the end of think time I finally got to the right place, but picked a PM who died in 1992. :oops: It was all I could quickly scribble. Perhaps five more seconds and I could have realized the needed switch.

Nice work by Jon on a very solid title defense and the sole solve.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6957

Jon solved the FJ! clue to fend off the 4th podiumites.
ACW

Post by ACW »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:39 pm It's finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6957

4th podiumites?

Also, the judges were a bit generous allowing NeTENyahu and not NeTANyahu.
נְתַנְיָהוּ‎ is how it's done; NeTENyahu would be נְתֶנְיָהוּ‎

It's like allowing TELL instead of TALL.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

ACW wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 2:39 pm It's finished: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6957

4th podiumites?

Also, the judges were a bit generous allowing NeTENyahu and not NeTANyahu.

Barry Gordy would agree.
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

No Clue on Final. I have No idea how John Got That.

Lach Trash - Jackie Robinson, Fillet O'Fish,
Leander

Post by Leander »

If Bibi crossed my mind, I never would have thought he was in office that long. I had no answer.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I get anything is better than a blank screen but those were some bad guesses in FJ. I left my paper blank as nothing came to me. Mandela was my only thought but I knew he was president and not PM and pretty sure he was dead by 2015. (It was 2013). At least I didn’t think Cy Young won Rookie of the Year in 1947 or blazed any trails.

Glad Jon got the sole solve or he would have forever regretted not making a slightly larger DD bet. Good for her making the right bet in FJ, though it cost her $1,000.

Jon’s agent liked his interview when Jon confirmed he follows copyright laws. He mentioned in his postgame interview yesterday he has been out of work for a year so it is good he has two big wins.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Leander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm If Bibi crossed my mind, I never would have thought he was in office that long. I had no answer.
He wasn't. He was there from 96-99 and then again from 09 to present.

I couldn't come up with anyone who made any sense, so I just guessed John Howard of Australia.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Mike still seems a bit stiff at times. Even Ken seemed better at getting the hang of drama, so even big leads like this don't seem as fun as they used to.

I may be mainly a keyboardist, but I'm also enough of a guitarist for Guitar Talk to have been an easy run. I am curious as to how many people here knew "capo", since I wouldn't expect most to know that.

Strangely, I also ran Fish & Chips, Up Rising, and Five Letter Words.

The TS on "Filet o' Fish" had me shaking my head.

Seeing everyone struggle on this FJ! makes me feel less bad for my usual blank screen. The name is in my database, at least.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:31 pm
Leander wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 6:17 pm If Bibi crossed my mind, I never would have thought he was in office that long. I had no answer.
He wasn't. He was there from 96-99 and then again from 09 to present.

I couldn't come up with anyone who made any sense, so I just guessed John Howard of Australia.
I tried to think of an Aussie but none came to mind.
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

Zipped around the Eastern Hemisphere and somehow hit the right name at the 29 second mark. I think my scribble of "Netanyahu" is good enough. *Phew*

Congrats to Jon, would like to see how he handles a DD hunter.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $48,200
56 R/1 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Kilauea, Jackie Robinson, Filet-O-Fish, set/upset, load/upload, pity/uppity, fudge, Nauvoo

I wavered slightly from Netanyahu, thinking that his most recent address to Congress was under Trump rather than Obama, but the only other answer that seemed remotely plausible was Shinzo Abe, and I was pretty sure he wasn't PM when I lived in Japan.

On Up Rising, I would have liked to see Mike take a cue from Alex's hosting and, rather than immediately negging Jon, remind him that his response needed to contain two words.

Speaking of Jon, that DD3 wager. Yikes. He needed $2401 for the lock, took his time and did the math, and wagered $2000. Luckily, the sole FJ! solve rendered the issue moot.

The Robin Hood category was insultingly easy. $3600 for naming two of the story's main characters, spotted "maid" and "lawman"? Seriously?
ACW wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 3:18 pm Also, the judges were a bit generous allowing NeTENyahu and not NeTANyahu.

You're applying the rule incorrectly. The proper Hebrew pronunciation doesn't matter. What's important is whether the contestant's response, as written, could plausibly be pronounced in the way that the correct response is commonly pronounced in English. It is extremely common for Americans, including those in the news media/commentariat, to pronounce Bibi's last name as either NET-un-YAH-hoo or NEH-tun-YAH-hoo. Jon's response matches that just fine.
Sprinkles are for winners.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

I too succumbed to the Mandela effect for FJ!. I wasn't too distracted by the date of 2015 - I didn't know he'd died in exactly 2013. But I was very hesitant because of the title - I was 99% sure he was President. Also, the latter two years were all wrong, as he was only president from 1994-99.

In fairness to the other contestants, I can't think of too many "wrong but good" responses, so anything wrong that gets written down gets shot. Putin? At the very least, that's also out because of president vs PM, as well as a whole host of other Castroesque reasons.

I get my feathers mildly ruffled when contestants show little interest in finding DDs. Actively avoiding DDs really gets me. If you have only 2 clues on the board remaining in the same category, and you have a 200 clue and a 400 clue, with no DDs revealed, please, please, please take the 400. Even if the category is GUESS A NUMBER BETWEEN 1 AND 100 - BUT WE TOLD YOUR OPPONENTS, at least you can defuse the bomb and keep someone from doubling up. I know we're fanatics, but casual viewers know that the top row isn't home for DDs except maybe once or twice a season, right?

For the Henry Ford latex clue, I eliminated the middle man and said "tires". Judges? Tires are "materials" for cars would be my somewhat lame defense. I assume rubber's in other places in cars, so maybe I was too specific, but I would also imagine the tires are the biggest use of rubber.
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:58 pm
The TS on "Filet o' Fish" had me shaking my head.
I sympathized - I think the "fish fillet" response caused deer-in-headlights syndrome, making the other two wonder if there was some other product, or if it got negged because it wasn't the appropriate brand name. If you think "fish fillet" negates "Fillet-O-Fish", you're kind of stuck.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Sports Trophies, Robin Hood, Colony Collapse,
Daily Doubles: :D :D :D
trash: JFK, Jackie Robinson :shock: , Filet-o-Fish, load & upload, Philip II (Francis Drake :lol: ), Nauvoo, cathode,
FJ: Guessed Deng Xiaoping. :(
OK, how does Philip II rule alongside Bloody Mary as she was long dead by the time of the Spanish Armada? :?:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:31 pm OK, how does Philip II rule alongside Bloody Mary as she was long dead by the time of the Spanish Armada? :?:
Alternative history. She didn’t die young.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

This played like an old school game. They didn't Forrest bounce and they went with Venusian wages, to the point where Jon lost a lockout chance late and may have had to solve to win (which proved moot). I think at that point you wager $5,000 and put it out of reach/have to maybe solve to win anyway.

Got Netanyahu but worried 2015 might be a touch early for the most recent visit. Glad I stayed.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Colony Collapse Disorder- I think that’s a first for Jeopardy! and I’m here for it

Already bored of Mike Richards’ supercilious “nooo”

Like Mark, I wasted half the think time parsing the words in the clue, hit pause, and got to Bibi right around (probably after) the last note of think music. The writing is a bit convoluted for my taste.

I was hoping for an upset by Michelle, but she didn’t really play to win with those meek DD wagers. Still, I was rooting for her