Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by Volante »

econgator wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:11 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:05 pm My opponent and I zeroed each other on Tennessee. My correct answer was Lynchburg. Just curious about the ratio of TN compared to Lynchburg here?
TN for me.
Tennessee here as well. I went with the location protected under NAFTA rules :D
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by mahatma »

+1 for TN, since it's in the name of the brand, and that's the type of whiskey I consider it to be. Any bar that tries to sell JD as 'bourbon' is dead to me. They might as well try to sell Pepsi as 'Coke'.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I put Lynchburg but Tennessee popped up as the correct answer. Still got credit.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Thu Feb 25, 2021 9:13 pm I knew precisely the region he was referring to, and confidently said Calabria (calor = heat). Oops. Technically correct, but not fitting the rest of the clue.
Same answer, same reasoning re calor, but not the same level of confidence. I knew Calabria, at least in its present configuration, did not reach as far north as Naples, so after a few hours of idly trying to twist sol, fuerzo, duro, and calor into something feasible, used the region I knew actually existed as my surrender answer.

I have a very narrow lead in the rundle in TCA and I am in 15th place, which is pretty much where last season ended.
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 pm ClassicRoadster will be glad to face the rest of us the next 7 games after leading off playing the two ringers :).
It was a bit of a rude awakening for sure...
Decent start to the season for me other than MD2. Loved the Big Ben question but I didn't get there as I didn't even consider that parliament/big ben etc were only built in the 1850s. Yesterday, I didn't even consider that periwinkle was anything but a snailish thing, went with violet. I did go with TN but man that seemed way too easy. I almost said Canada based on the sugar maple clue thinking it must be someplace up north and remembering there is a "Canadian Whiskey" (crown, candian club, etc.).
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 2:30 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Feb 24, 2021 11:06 pm ClassicRoadster will be glad to face the rest of us the next 7 games after leading off playing the two ringers :).
It was a bit of a rude awakening for sure...
Decent start to the season for me other than MD2. Loved the Big Ben question but I didn't get there as I didn't even consider that parliament/big ben etc were only built in the 1850s. Yesterday, I didn't even consider that periwinkle was anything but a snailish thing, went with violet. I did go with TN but man that seemed way too easy. I almost said Canada based on the sugar maple clue thinking it must be someplace up north and remembering there is a "Canadian Whiskey" (crown, candian club, etc.).
I finally bailed on Tennessee and went ahead and took the maple clue all the way to Canada. I know TI doesn't try to trick us and try to read.every.word. Luckily I was given a zero for that one and managed a lucky W thanks to my Master Gardener spouse and twelvefootsis1 for the periwinkle guess.
mahatma wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 11:53 am
Well, you tied one of those 'ringers' on MD3, so what does that make you?
Well, to put it in Weekly Poll parlance: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
My forecast for MD12 and MD22: :( :( :( :( :(
I'm glad you guys filled in, because ten or twelve players seems ideal to give some internal rematches, even if they are drubbings. Because, on any given day...
I'm glad to get back to the season. It's seemed like a long time without it, what with J! reruns and all.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Kara Walker! Finally!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I have no idea who that is but I did visit the Walker Art Museum many years ago. I was 6/6 which is apparently what I need for a win.
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I pondered the Asian rivers country for a little while yesterday and didn't come up with anything, and was thinking that it was a pretty obscure river and I was going to have to guess. I finally made it to Jordan after going through what felt like nearly every country in Asia and couldn't believe that it didn't click instantly.

It has been a rough start to the season for me, with only 12 TCA. I have had only 2 or 3 correct on every MD so far. I am above the relegation zone, but I had to benefit from a forfeit win on MD 1.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I had an amazing first week. I went 0-4-1 in my regular rundle and 1-3-1 in my private one.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

StevenH wrote: Sat Feb 27, 2021 11:30 am I pondered the Asian rivers country for a little while yesterday and didn't come up with anything, and was thinking that it was a pretty obscure river and I was going to have to guess. I finally made it to Jordan after going through what felt like nearly every country in Asia and couldn't believe that it didn't click instantly.
I have some kind of brain block that won't let me consider Arabia as Asia. Geology (is supposed to) defines continents, not race :). I picked Cambodia since the Mekong is the only river I can think of in SE Asia.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I was amazed that the get rate the Joker's Wild was so low in my general rundle on MD6; only 3 of 30 got it. In my private rundle, 8 of 10 got the question correct.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 5:00 am I was amazed that the get rate the Joker's Wild was so low in my general rundle on MD6; only 3 of 30 got it. In my private rundle, 8 of 10 got the question correct.

I am really surprised at this as well. I know the league has younger players coming in, and I can see a good bit not knowing who Jack Barry is; but trivia and game shows go together, and we did have a TJW revival with Snoop Dogg...with a large slot machine as the centerpiece of the set.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

How many got the quilt question here? I was nervous assigning defense. I knew it because I live in Alabama and have heard about the quilting ladies. I just didn’t know if it was widely known or if it could be puzzled out. It seemed to play hard, though not as hard as Joker’s Wild.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am How many got the quilt question here? I was nervous assigning defense. I knew it because I live in Alabama and have heard about the quilting ladies. I just didn’t know if it was widely known or if it could be puzzled out. It seemed to play hard, though not as hard as Joker’s Wild.
NHOI.

I missed velocity. I went with momentum. So close, but that was embarrassing.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am How many got the quilt question here? I was nervous assigning defense. I knew it because I live in Alabama and have heard about the quilting ladies. I just didn’t know if it was widely known or if it could be puzzled out. It seemed to play hard, though not as hard as Joker’s Wild.
NHOI.

I missed velocity. I went with momentum. So close, but that was embarrassing.
I guessed chalk for the art question. I had no idea, but thought that might fit the "Street Story ___" part. What art medium might you use to create a street story?

I almost said velocity for Q5, but ended up putting churn instead. I couldn't see how churn would be a term from physics, but I've heard it in a financial sense often.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

mahatma wrote: Fri Feb 26, 2021 12:27 pm +1 for TN, since it's in the name of the brand, and that's the type of whiskey I consider it to be. Any bar that tries to sell JD as 'bourbon' is dead to me. They might as well try to sell Pepsi as 'Coke'.
I visited several bourbon distilleries in Kentucky, and the tour guide at at least one of them explained the difference between bourbon and Tennessee whiskey: bourbon is not filtered, Jack Daniel's is. (Fun fact: a candidate by the name of Jack Daniels https://www.ourcampaigns.com/CandidateD ... teID=13535 ran for statewide office in New Mexico in 1970 and 1972, losing both times.)

Another requirement for bourbon is that the barrel may be used just once. A brewery owner in West Michigan showed me the room where his high-end beers were barrel-aged. He bought the barrels from bourbon distilleries; at the time (2005), they were relatively cheap. Since then, more breweries have gotten into barrel-aged beers, driving up the price of barrels.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

I live in New York, and nope. I went with coal, thinking that might be what "black belt" referred to, though "street scene coal" did seem a funny title. I seem to remember missing another art question dealing with quilts not long ago.

I felt pretty good about "liquidity" as the physics-based rate-of-spending word, but it doesn't take much to make me feel good when it comes to science or bus/econ.

I might have got "Joker's Wild" had I not landed on "Wizard of Odds" first. I knew nothing about the Snoop Dogg version and never paid much mind to the old show.

And, not to be seen as evading the issue, I thought "devanagari" might be a type of yoga and said "bikram".
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 am Another requirement for bourbon is that the barrel may be used just once. A brewery owner in West Michigan showed me the room where his high-end beers were barrel-aged.
Was it Founders? Is so the brewer may be a friend of mine.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

I almost said quilt, solely because there had been a question about it as an art form a year and a half ago (Harriet Powers was the artist in that question). But then for no reason I decided that "Street Story Silver" had a nice ring to it.