Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am How many got the quilt question here? I was nervous assigning defense. I knew it because I live in Alabama and have heard about the quilting ladies. I just didn’t know if it was widely known or if it could be puzzled out. It seemed to play hard, though not as hard as Joker’s Wild.
Nope. I guessed oil, just to say something. Joker's Wild was easy, as was -- as you could glean from my boardname -- velocity.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:00 am How many got the quilt question here? I was nervous assigning defense. I knew it because I live in Alabama and have heard about the quilting ladies. I just didn’t know if it was widely known or if it could be puzzled out. It seemed to play hard, though not as hard as Joker’s Wild.
I got it, thanks to -not- getting this one: https://learnedleague.com/question.php?82&8&6

The LL clue itself was even a reverse of a 1D from 2019: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?womenartists
(The 1D gives you the medium and asks for the artist. LL yesterday gave you the artist and asked for the medium)
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:09 am
I got it, thanks to -not- getting this one: https://learnedleague.com/question.php?82&8&6=
Odd. I got that one, but didn't get this one.
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

I got quilt (as did the 12footboy in our match) and got the previous quilt one as well. My mother in law is a huge quilter so I am familiar with it, and it made sense as something a group of women would create. My MIL goes on quilting retreats a few times a year.

Lost in both rundles with a combo of bad defense and talking myself out of both velocity and Baghdad. I should stuck with my gut of physics/rate= velocity but it was not something I had heard of in a financial sense so I went with elasticity which isn't really physics, more like material science. I also first thought of Baghdad but then I thought the Abassid was a reference to the Ethiopian area (spoiler, thats Abyssinia) so I went with a nearby large city of Khartoum.

I did get Jokers Wild but was also surprised both opponents got it wrong. I zeroed both of them...ouch.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:09 am
I got it, thanks to -not- getting this one: https://learnedleague.com/question.php?82&8&6

The LL clue itself was even a reverse of a 1D from 2019: https://learnedleague.com/oneday.php?womenartists
(The 1D gives you the medium and asks for the artist. LL yesterday gave you the artist and asked for the medium)
I remembered a recent question on quilts so I concluded it had to be something else like mural or graffiti
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am I guessed chalk for the art question. I had no idea, but thought that might fit the "Street Story ___" part. What art medium might you use to create a street story?
Same reasoning here.

Pretty lost on devanagari. System, eh? How about "card counting"!?!?
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

For Ringgold, I got stuck on 'Tar Beach'. That's a book, dummy! Anyway, I thought that could be a distinctive/unusual medium in which to work. Silly me.

I did the opposite of Kirk: talked myself out of churn because of the physics angle, and eventually settled on velocity.

Used bourbon barrels are a tough commodity, as a lot of industries like to use them, and it's a limited market. I was told at one point that Scotch producers were feeling the pinch of new demand from beer brewers.

All the Joker's Wild talk (and it's league-wide get rate) surprised me, as it played at 80% correct in my rundle, which is what I expected. It was a tough call whether to zero that or Three Mile Island.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:47 am
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 am Another requirement for bourbon is that the barrel may be used just once. A brewery owner in West Michigan showed me the room where his high-end beers were barrel-aged.
Was it Founders? Is so the brewer may be a friend of mine.
It was New Holland, and the beer in question is its flagship product, Dragon's Milk stout. At the time, my wife and I were visiting breweries for our book, Michigan Breweries, which was published in 2006.

Speaking of Founders, I miss their Centennial IPA, which isn't distributed here.
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

RandyG wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:54 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am I guessed chalk for the art question. I had no idea, but thought that might fit the "Street Story ___" part. What art medium might you use to create a street story?
Same reasoning here.

At first I thought it was a form of yoga. Then I saw the word "system", and reasoned that Thorston was looking for an alphabet. So far, so good. But then I chose Cyrillic as one of the top three, when I should have taken the obvious choice, Roman.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:24 pm
Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:36 am Another requirement for bourbon is that the barrel may be used just once. A brewery owner in West Michigan showed me the room where his high-end beers were barrel-aged.
It was New Holland, and the beer in question is its flagship product, Dragon's Milk stout. At the time, my wife and I were visiting breweries for our book, Michigan Breweries, which was published in 2006.

Speaking of Founders, I miss their Centennial IPA, which isn't distributed here.
Oh, very cool! I visited New Holland once when I was back in MI for a wedding. I really don't get back there much these days.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Blue Lion wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:26 pm
Same reasoning here.

At first I thought it was a form of yoga. Then I saw the word "system", and reasoned that Thorston was looking for an alphabet. So far, so good. But then I chose Cyrillic as one of the top three, when I should have taken the obvious choice, Roman.
I somewhat recognized what Thorsten was looking for, but went with ASCII, figuring there must be some computer convention for depicting the Indian alphabet.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:31 am
alietr wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:15 am
NHOI.

I missed velocity. I went with momentum. So close, but that was embarrassing.
I guessed chalk for the art question. I had no idea, but thought that might fit the "Street Story ___" part. What art medium might you use to create a street story?

I almost said velocity for Q5, but ended up putting churn instead. I couldn't see how churn would be a term from physics, but I've heard it in a financial sense often.
I said sidewalk chalk. Quilting never entered my mind. Fortunately, it didn't enter my opponents' either!
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm
Same reasoning here.

I somewhat recognized what Thorsten was looking for, but went with ASCII, figuring there must be some computer convention for depicting the Indian alphabet.
I had Arabic. I was pretty confident that would be correct and I wasn't positive "Chinese" is the name of the writing system.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am And, not to be seen as evading the issue, I thought "devanagari" might be a type of yoga and said "bikram".
My reasoning exactly.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am
I live in New York, and nope. I went with coal, thinking that might be what "black belt" referred to, though "street scene coal" did seem a funny title. I seem to remember missing another art question dealing with quilts not long ago.

I felt pretty good about "liquidity" as the physics-based rate-of-spending word, but it doesn't take much to make me feel good when it comes to science or bus/econ.

I might have got "Joker's Wild" had I not landed on "Wizard of Odds" first. I knew nothing about the Snoop Dogg version and never paid much mind to the old show.

And, not to be seen as evading the issue, I thought "devanagari" might be a type of yoga and said "bikram".
Black belt refers to the dark soil in the area.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

the Breakfast Stout is one of the best beers I've ever had.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 1:45 pm
Lefty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:38 am And, not to be seen as evading the issue, I thought "devanagari" might be a type of yoga and said "bikram".
My reasoning exactly.
Thought yoga first here, but the only one I could name was 'goat' so decided to just wag 'Zen'
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

alietr wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 12:50 pm
Same reasoning here.

I went with "Windows" because I figured #1-#3 would be Windows, OSX, and Linux; and numbers of users would be hard to determine.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

because it said "specific medium", I went with "spray paint". I thought it might be a graffiti thing in the mid-80s.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

Quilting was a guess that seemed reasonable.

I figured devangari was about the Hindi alphabet, but my guess of Cyrillic was too far down the list. Couldn't remember what exactly you would call the "English alphabet", and I incorrectly put Cyrillic ahead of Arabic in my mind.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.