Tuesday, March 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Re: Tuesday, March 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by DBear »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:58 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:31 pm OK, how does Philip II rule alongside Bloody Mary as she was long dead by the time of the Spanish Armada? :?:
Alternative history. She didn’t die young.
If she was still ruling England, there would've been no need to send the Spanish Armada. The Armada was sent to punish Elizabeth for sponsoring privateers like Francis Drake (worst guess of 2021 so far) who had raided Spanish treasure fleets.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I was sure it was Shinzo Abe, and then switched to Netanyahu after he occurred to me at the last second.

Interesting fact: Netanyahu's older brother, Yonatan, led the Israeli raid at Entebbe, and was the only Israeli military fatality in the raid. (And if you're unaware of the Entebbe raid, you owe it to yourself to look it up, besides being a fascinating story, it does come up.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:31 pm OK, how does Philip II rule alongside Bloody Mary as she was long dead by the time of the Spanish Armada? :?:
If she was still ruling England, there would've been no need to send the Spanish Armada. The Armada was sent to punish Elizabeth for sponsoring privateers like Francis Drake (worst guess of 2021 so far) who had raided Spanish treasure fleets.
Phil and Mary were also married so he was also King of England.

Edit... I looked up the book and apparently Mary died as she did in OTL. Philip overthrows Elizabeth and puts his daughter, Isabella (a real person named for her great-grandmother) is Queen of England. So the show got the facts wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_Britannia
Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Johnblue »

I was glad to see Jon win again. I guessed Abe since he was in power for many years, non-consecutively.
davey

Post by davey »

Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:46 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 9:33 pm
Phil and Mary were also married so he was also King of England.

Edit... I looked up the book and apparently Mary died as she did in OTL. Philip overthrows Elizabeth and puts his daughter, Isabella (a real person named for her great-grandmother) is Queen of England. So the show got the facts wrong.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruled_Britannia

When Philip's Armada conquered England in 1588, Philip used his former marriage to Mary and the status of King of England it had briefly bestowed on him to install his daughter, Isabella, as Queen of England.

https://turtledove.fandom.com/wiki/Mary ... ite_note-1
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Did not like how Richards straight negged 'upload'; I feel Trebek would've gone "we need both words"

Netanyahu was my one and only precall. How soon we forget the 2015 drama about the Republican wing of Congress inviting him to speak without Executive Branch approval... It was only 143 years ago!
(Link provided only to give further context. Any editorializing implied, inferred or obvious is unintended, I just lazily picked one of the close to the top search results that hit the overall timeline for a refresher: https://www.vox.com/2015/3/2/8130977/ne ... -explained )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

One of my worst FJ experiences in a while...When the category was announced, my first thought was Netanyahu. His last appearance before Congress was controversial. But I almost immediately put him out of my mind - They won't use him, it's too tricky to spell...! And with the clue, he did not come back... :twisted: The non-European country and the long tenure should have helped enormously...but I ended up with Justin Trudeau... :roll:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I thought they should have given an example of what the category was about as it seemed to confuse the players. And uppity was a bit unfair as it isn’t a compound word.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

45R. 4/4 on big clues. Netanyahu was the first thing I thought of then stuck with it. I wasn't sure and I was surprised that I got it.

The COLONY COLLAPSE DISORDER category was alright but initially I was disappointed. I was expecting bees.

I liked the clue about Calder: A large stabile called "Two Discs" is one of many works by this artist belonging to the Hirshhorn Museum & Sculpture Garden. The term "stabile" is funny and that was the easiest path to get there. Apparently he used that term for his sculptures.

I had some trouble with the UP RISING category. I matched the contestants.

Congrats to Jon on the win. He looked steadier today.
talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm For the Henry Ford latex clue, I eliminated the middle man and said "tires". Judges?
Be more specific.

Edit: Removed incorrect comment about daily double wagering
Last edited by MattKnowles on Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:07 pm, edited 10 times in total.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Good performance by the champ, apart from his head scratcher of a DD3 wager. I drew a blank on FJ after working my way through Asia and S America. When I saw Jon’s answer it finally clicked.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I liked Mike’s comment about his son. Gave us a little personal insight into the man.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I had Abe for FJ. Definitely would have switched to Netanyahu had I thought of him.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Yeah, the syntax on that FJ clue :roll: . The longevity made me think of Merkel, although stretched out a bit. Rereading the clue made me think it was a play on UK (= non-European) vs. "the continent", but then "non-European" put me right back in England. Once I Ieft Europe, then what countries do we have a battered spouse syndrome relationship with? Saudi Arabia and Israel are top of the list.

I think I got the first 20 or so before the fish fiasco tripped me up as talkingaway speculated it did for the contestants. I just couldn't start over, and it is about the only thing I ever ate there before the dollar menu came out a generation ago.

I agree on the butchering of the 'up" category. They needed an example at the beginning, or a courtesy nudge for the second word.
Bamaman wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 7:00 pm
Jon’s agent liked his interview when Jon confirmed he follows copyright laws. He mentioned in his postgame interview yesterday he has been out of work for a year so it is good he has two big wins.
I thought he said he'd played in 45 countries last year, which I assume is employment?
He did make hay with that guitar category, too bad he lost the buzzer on the fifth clue. I suppose "fret" and "capo" are obscure enough for single jeopardy, but they were easy (said this long legged guitar picker 8-) ). (btw - nothing pisses me off more than a beginner putting a capo on the first fret and singing in Db :) . worst.key.ever)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Volante wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 10:42 pm Did not like how Richards straight negged 'upload'; I feel Trebek would've gone "we need both words"
I think the problem was more the category requirements rather than the actual negging. He specifically said during the category reveal that each correct response requires two words - one with "up" and one without. If the host says "give TWO WORDS" at the start, and the contestants give one...there's not much the host can do. That'd be tantamount to the host saying "Say it again in the form of a question".

Now, the explanation wasn't great. I thought the category would be things like "Uptown Girl" and "upper crust". He should have said "one with UP, and one with the UP removed".

The better way to play the category, IMO, would be to require only one of the two words. "Remove UP from this word meaning angry to get a mathematical group." (Upset.) Or, "Add UP to this word for a mathematical group to get a word meaning angry." (Set.) The first two words of either clue make it almost foolproof that you're not going to get "set" instead of "upset", or vice versa - if the directions say "remove up", it has to have an "up", and if it says "add up", it can't have an "up" already.

This would also be an instance where some more liberal open captioning of wordplay answers would be nice. "What is pity?" as a response, with "Uppity" shown on the screen, with UP in a different color than PITY.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Speaking of Jon, that DD3 wager. Yikes. He needed $2401 for the lock, took his time and did the math, and wagered $2000. Luckily, the sole FJ! solve rendered the issue moot.
You could say he he didn't want to restrict his earning potential on a close lock FJ wager. But that obviously wasn't the case, as it turned out.
With the runaway just out of reach, he could have (FJ) wagered up to $5599 with vertually no increased risk of being beaten by Michele on a W-R-R anyway.
This is as commonly overlooked as is going big on DD when you're on the short end of a blowout.
davey

Post by davey »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:41 pm
I thought he said he'd played in 45 countries last year, which I assume is employment?
It seems likely that "last year" means "before the pandemic."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 03, 2021 2:01 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:41 pm
It seems likely that "last year" means "before the pandemic."
He said "in the past couple years."
davey

Post by davey »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 11:01 pm
talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:29 pm For the Henry Ford latex clue, I eliminated the middle man and said "tires". Judges?
Be more specific.
The clue asked for "material." Tires could be "materials," possibly, but not material.
ACW

Post by ACW »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Tue Mar 02, 2021 8:12 pm You're applying the rule incorrectly. The proper Hebrew pronunciation doesn't matter. What's important is whether the contestant's response, as written, could plausibly be pronounced in the way that the correct response is commonly pronounced in English. It is extremely common for Americans, including those in the news media/commentariat, to pronounce Bibi's last name as either NET-un-YAH-hoo or NEH-tun-YAH-hoo. Jon's response matches that just fine.
Eh, fair enough I guess. Though actually, as a Jew myself, the way I usually pronounce his name can't be said on TV :lol:
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I got Netanyahu right away. Easy peasy.

I was surprised no one got Brookline.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.