Tuesday, March 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Johnblue
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Tuesday, March 9, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Johnblue »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:36 pm
econgator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:29 pm "Eye of London" is completely unfamiliar to me.
Its correct name is the London Eye.
Third time's the charm in 2028? viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2103&p=119378&hilit ... ye#p119378

I’ve been on the London Eye once for each of his “forgetful” questions. I had FJ but not very confidently. Katie sure was perky at the end. She’s not very good but I doubt she wants the regular gig anyway.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I greatly dislike them accepting the answer Sherman since the question asked the name of the ACT: the Sherman Antitrust Act.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Another pretty good day from KC. I didn't even think about the "groundbreaking" role as first female host yesterday. I think there may be much worse yet to come from future hosts, but with heavy editing, they may all measure up to about the same place. I'm sure the J! pros will know to re-shoot in real time so every guest host can clean up to a presentable place.

No chance for me on FJ - I just guessed moth in case there was some time travel element in the Japanese movie monster Mothra. I don't know if monster movies count as science fiction for that matter.

Zach owned it for a while, but remained in reach if Lindsey goes for broke on the DD. He may be a contender. I couldn't touch any of the Shakespeare clues.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Luckily the contestants were stumped on Andy Reid, giving me enough time to shake 'Kool-Aid Man' out of my head. Damn you, gif!
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

mrparadise wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:14 pm I've always thought the "butterfly effect" has to do with how something seemingly insignificant (an example often given is the flapping of a butterfly's wings in the Amazon) eventually leading to something of large significance (say, a storm far removed from the Amazon). Is this concept part of the Bradbury story?
No and yes. Essential reading here. Lorenz's conception seems to be wholly decoupled from Bradbury's, but when you think about it, they describe the same concept, and Bradbury had a few years on Lorenz on involving the butterfly (although in an entirely different way).

More essential reading: the "chaos butterfly" strips in Tom the Dancing Bug's "Super-Fun-Pak Comix", like this one here (Google for others).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 1/4 on big clues. Got The Butterfly Effect but missed the others. I'm more familiar with the Ashton Kutcher film than the Bradbury story. For the first DD I had 9 and 15. For the correct answer of 9 and 5 it's weird that they put the bigger number first. It clashes with something. Said conservationist for DD2. Only 15 letters though, not 16, and not pinned by the clue. Said Ruben Studdard instead of Clay Aiken. Oops.

I didn't get Navy Pier, Sherman Anti-Trust Act, or cockscomb. Those have come up before and I'll try to get them next time along with the missed DDs.

I said steps instead of rungs and I said flippers instead of fins. Steps and rungs are distinct but there are a lot of variations of ladders and I think that response works here.

Got Poland solely through the last name ending in "ski".

Did anybody try to count the letters in 16-letter words? That can't be very common but I'm curious if anybody did. I started counting on the DD and realized it was wrong but wouldn't have had time to think of anything else. The other clues were too fast for me to try to count.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
talkingaway

Post by talkingaway »

Weird that a second FJ! in a row has leaned very heavily into sci-fi. Got it pretty quickly and once I got there, it was one of those "checksum" clues where you KNOW you got it right because the whole clue and response pair just makes sense together. And, yes, the butterfly effect was more descriptive of chaos theory in general, the original being that the flap of a butterfly's wings can change the formation and path of a tornado. I think Bradbury was the one who brought the whole time paradox aspect of the butterfly effect.

Judges - "comb" for "coxcomb"? Pretty sure both would be acceptable, but I almost feel like in a wordplay clue, that I'm making it a little too easy, especially for the bottom row. They should have put in "7 letters" to make it worthy of $1000, but I think my response is reasonable. Not sure if I'd choke on a BMS.

Accepting "Eye of London" seemed a little bit lax to me, but after a little thought, I think accepting it is justifable. I imagine that Londoners call it "The Eye" as shorthand, so "The Eye" could be accepted. The "of London" part could be construed as giving extra (but correct) information. Then again, I've noted that they don't seem to allow "Les Miz" for "Les Miserables".

The Clay Aiken DD clue was a little tricky, because the word "earlier" in the clue is doing a LOT of heavy lifting - about 12 years' worth. I got it immediately, then noticed that it wasn't exactly the clearest in terms of the timeline, which could explain the puzzled response.

I noticed the 17 clues before the break. I wonder if it's an actual pacing issue, if the clues really are short, or if Katie is perhaps hesitant to interrupt contestants after they pick a clue. (Alex I know has had to stop contestants mid-selection, but with 37 years of experience, he knew exactly how to do it.) If that's the worst "problem" she has in this batch of two weeks (and it's barely even a problem), then she's doing a great job. I wonder if it would be distracting to the contestants if the board went blank (except for the current category and current clue) when clue 15 is revealed, to remind everyone not to call another clue and to let the host wrap up the segment.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 10:56 pm 42R. 1/4 on big clues. Got The Butterfly Effect but missed the others. I'm more familiar with the Ashton Kutcher film than the Bradbury story. For the first DD I had 9 and 15. For the correct answer of 9 and 5 it's weird that they put the bigger number first. It clashes with something. Said conservationist for DD2. Only 15 letters though, not 16, and not pinned by the clue. Said Ruben Studdard instead of Clay Aiken. Oops.

I didn't get Navy Pier, Sherman Anti-Trust Act, or cockscomb. Those have come up before and I'll try to get them next time along with the missed DDs.

I said steps instead of rungs and I said flippers instead of fins. Steps and rungs are distinct but there are a lot of variations of ladders and I think that response works here.

Got Poland solely through the last name ending in "ski".

Did anybody try to count the letters in 16-letter words? That can't be very common but I'm curious if anybody did. I started counting on the DD and realized it was wrong but wouldn't have had time to think of anything else. The other clues were too fast for me to try to count.
I also had steps and flippers and don’t see an issue with either. Got Poland the same way.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 pm I greatly dislike them accepting the answer Sherman since the question asked the name of the ACT: the Sherman Antitrust Act.
I'm right there with you, I was expecting a reversal. But then I thought there's no way they could punish Zach since his answer deserves a BMS.

I also only got Bridge of Sighs when Lindsey gave me his perfect/imperfect Italian translation :lol:

WECIB final
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Similar acceptances like "Sherman" for the antitrust act have occurred previously; what I was surprised about was Dionysus getting a new last vowel with nary a peep.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Of course the act was also known just as the Sherman Act, but it's funny this was raised because I recently, when entering a Season 3 game, had to artificially take money away from a contestant who answered just "the Sherman Act" because there was no other way to explain an unremarked between-rounds score adjustment. More in the new old games thread.
reddpen
Thrice Unplucked from the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by reddpen »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:51 pmDD2's wording limits it to Robert Frost and his poem while credit to Lindsey for managing to have a word with the required 16 letters and in the ballpark.
That Guy chiming in to point out that conservationist has only 15 letters. Lindsey should have kept counting.
Has something similar happened on the show before with these same two words?
DBear wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 8:30 pmI also thought they wanted the Kraken. Very poorly worded IMO. This is the kind of slop Alex weeded out.
The clue reads:
Cetus is known as the whale, but in mythology, it was the sea creature this hero saved Andromeda from
I was going to quibble, but you might have half a point. Easy enough to clue in on "it was the sea creature," I suppose, especially if she stressed "it" (which I doubt), but hard to argue against "this hero" being the tipoff they wanted Perseus.
floridagator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 9:59 pmI greatly dislike them accepting the answer Sherman since the question asked the name of the ACT: the Sherman Antitrust Act.
And to think that I thought I was being a crank (h/t Dr. Seuss).
seaborgium wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 12:14 amSimilar acceptances like "Sherman" for the antitrust act have occurred previously; what I was surprised about was Dionysus getting a new last vowel with nary a peep.
Yeah, that one bugged me too.
Way off topic, congrats on your big HQ win a couple days back.

LT: King Lear, Book of Kells, Perseus, environmentalist, Volga, Paul Ryan (does my heart good to know people are forgetting that jackass), Andy Reid. Might have guessed Poland off Sobieski if I'd been far enough ahead, or behind.

On FJ I flailed around and finally matched Laura with cockroach. I've heard of the Butterfly Effect but didn't know it originated in a Bradbury story. Is this the part where I insert the Simpsons clip of Martin dismissing his work? No, it is not, because I like all the Bradbury I've read... which clearly wasn't enough for tonight.
In and out of the pool four times
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $40,400
49 R/3 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :(
LT: environmentalist (DD), shortsightedness, Volga River, Paul Ryan, Andy Reid

I was not aware of the sci-fi connection to the butterfly effect, so I hoped the writers were making reference to the story that was the basis for The Fly. Turns out that was a short story published in Playboy in 1957.
Sprinkles are for winners.
davey

Post by davey »

talkingaway wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 11:01 pm

I noticed the 17 clues before the break. I wonder if it's an actual pacing issue, if the clues really are short, or if Katie is perhaps hesitant to interrupt contestants after they pick a clue. (Alex I know has had to stop contestants mid-selection, but with 37 years of experience, he knew exactly how to do it.) If that's the worst "problem" she has in this batch of two weeks (and it's barely even a problem), then she's doing a great job. I wonder if it would be distracting to the contestants if the board went blank (except for the current category and current clue) when clue 15 is revealed, to remind everyone not to call another clue and to let the host wrap up the segment.
Highly unlikely it's up to her (or any host) when to stop. She'd get a signal from the stage manager. Something she'd be used to.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

I tried really hard NOT to like Katie Couric as a host but after just two games, she's doing a fantastic job. She seems excited to be on the show...and she relates well to the players, both as a host and during the contestant interviews. If she were The One, I wouldn't be disappointed at all.

It's going to be really tough for TPTB to make a final decision on a permanent host. I could see either of the three guest hosts we've seen so far being named permanent host...and I would accept either one.
Philliesfan02
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Philliesfan02 »

time travel + insect = butterfly for me on final

Andy made a good point on TJF on how it's unusual for someone to lose their buzzer mojo as much as Laura did. I'm guessing that the main reason was just that Zach and Lindsey were really good on the buzzer. If he keeps it up, Zach has a good chance to be the second player with that name in a future TOC.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 1:51 pm The clue had me figuring it could be the right author going off the year. The problem was I did not know the insect. Not liking any of my choices of cricket, grasshopper and bee, I went with ant for at least being 1950s sci-fi as I recalled Them!.
I am greatly amused by the mental image of an ant from Them! being stuck to the bottom of someone's shoe.

I'm impressed by Katie so far. Too soon to render a judgment, but so far so good.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

econgator wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:30 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Tue Mar 09, 2021 7:29 pm "Eye of London" is completely unfamiliar to me.
Its correct name is the London Eye.
Should have been dinged.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Philliesfan02 wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:43 am time travel + insect = butterfly for me on final

Andy made a good point on TJF on how it's unusual for someone to lose their buzzer mojo as much as Laura did. I'm guessing that the main reason was just that Zach and Lindsey were really good on the buzzer. If he keeps it up, Zach has a good chance to be the second player with that name in a future TOC.
Insect shouldn't have even been given. There aren't too many that would make sense. Butterfly, ladybug, what else?
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

My first thought was cockroach due to their supposed ability to survive pretty much anything. But since it was a dead insect that didn't make as much sense. I put down butterfly thinking of the butterfly effect, but I certainly was not confident.