Wednesday, March 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, March 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, March 10, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LITERARY THRILLERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The only Ian Fleming James Bond novel not told in the third person, it’s narrated by one of 007’s paramours

Zach Shrier: 9400+1600=11000
Lori White: 14800+4001=18801 (New Champ)
James Fraser: 17400-12202=5198

Correct response:
Spoiler
The Spy Who Loved Me (James – You Only Live Twice)

Daily Doubles
Zach: minus 200-1000
Lori: 7400+2000
Lori: 10600+3000

Coryats
Zach: 10400
Lori: 13400
James: 17400

Combined: 41,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Zach: 200
Lori: 4200
James: 6600
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Expanding from Sci-Fi into other genre fiction. Cool, cool.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

When I saw there was a James Fraser playing I was hopeful for an Outlander clue. No such luck, though the laugh was on me when there was a missed DD clue about coin designer, James Fraser.

For LL players enjoy the John Gotti clue.

Sometimes when Alex hosted it was obvious that the host knew something the players did not get. Today there was no doubt that Katie could have collected trash on the Peter Pan stumper.

The FJ! category had me try two precalls with Jaws & Day of the Jackal.

The FJ! clue had me write Octopussy as someone I thought was a woman. As I have posted previously I'm not a big Bond fan. I've read nothing and seen five or so of the movies.

During think time I had doubts that Octopussy would be something to be the correct response in the FJ! round whether for the name itself or familiarity.

Thinking I needed something a little more known and mainstream I switched to From Russia with Love in the wish it was a lady ending a letter of some sort.

The correct title would come to me with LL thinking time while in 30 seconds I never hit upon it as an option. At least I did not go with Goldfinger, Dr. No or Thunderball which also occurred to me.

Lori was correct on both DD2 & DD3 while still trailed by 2600 entering the FJ! round. James's miss let Lori off the hook while if she had bet more on the DDs could have nearly doubled her winning total. The charity took a hit as well, being under 25K for the first time.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I Just picked a Random Bond Book. Didnt work.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm I Just picked a Random Bond Book. Didnt work.
Same here. I considered Octopussy but wasn’t sure if that was a book title and didn’t think they’d use that title on the show. Would have gone with Spy if it had occurred to me but it didn’t. Put down Goldfinger.

“It was the first state” was a bottom row clue?

I thought Katie was much better today. Had a lot more energy.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

I couldn't go through the books quickly enough. Settled on From Russia, with Love.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm Same here. I considered Octopussy but wasn’t sure if that was a book title and didn’t think they’d use that title on the show.
It has 4 hits in the Archive.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Happy 34th to me.

There used to be a country music singer named Lari White. I always thought her name was pronounced "Lori" until I heard her say it as "Lah-ree" in one of her own music videos.

I like that Katie elaborates on and reacts to clues a bit more than Mike did. She could benefit from nudging the gameplay a bit more, though (she didn't mention the $1,000 max on DD1, but it didn't really matter anyway).

Used to be a coin collector, so I ran the category. Also ran "-Matic" and Adjectives. I'm glad that Miranda Lambert's "Automatic" wasn't in either, because that is legit one of the worst songs I've heard of that wasn't recorded by Morgan Wallen.

I had complete brain lock and couldn't pull a single Bond title at all in 30 seconds.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 6:01 pm
“It was the first state” was a bottom row clue?
"I'll take 'States that rhyme with Melaware' for $2000, please."
brick

Post by brick »

AntmanB wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 5:22 pm I Just picked a Random Bond Book. Didnt work.
ibid
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

me too. too many to go after. I tossed From RUssia with Love.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 7:29 pm Happy 34th to me.

There used to be a country music singer named Lari White. I always thought her name was pronounced "Lori" until I heard her say it as "Lah-ree" in one of her own music videos.

I like that Katie elaborates on and reacts to clues a bit more than Mike did. She could benefit from nudging the gameplay a bit more, though (she didn't mention the $1,000 max on DD1, but it didn't really matter anyway).

Used to be a coin collector, so I ran the category. Also ran "-Matic" and Adjectives. I'm glad that Miranda Lambert's "Automatic" wasn't in either, because that is legit one of the worst songs I've heard of that wasn't recorded by Morgan Wallen.

I had complete brain lock and couldn't pull a single Bond title at all in 30 seconds.
Happy birthday dude!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Britspeak, Leaders, Coins, -matic,
DDs: :D :D :(
trash: dime :o (.74 inch diameter), liver, psychosomatic,
FJ: On Her Majesty's Secret Service :(
thought of Spy Who Loved Me, but no time to write it.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She’s so awful. Only 7 more episodes with perky yet insipid Katie. I was rooting for the aviator. FJ took about ten seconds with a quick thought of Dr. No & From Russia With Love. I’ve seen all the movies but I’ve read none of the books. I don’t see too many wins by the new champ but who knows.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I really can't understand holding back on a big wager in DD2. You've gone through 3 COLORFUL RIVERS already, how many more can there be? Lucky for Lori, her sheepish 2k bet didn't cost her the game.

+1 From Russia with Love. Like others have said, just too many to go through. If it doesn't hit you quick, you're doomed.
davey

Post by davey »

Never read TSWLM, but picking the title in the first person that might be said by a paramour, seemed a safe guess...once I pushed Octopussy away, of course... :)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

davey wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:56 pm Never read TSWLM, but picking the title in the first person that might be said by a paramour, seemed a safe guess...once I pushed Octopussy away, of course... :)
I went with For Your Eyes Only, because I remembered the woman in the movie ad saying "for your eyes only, darling". Though penned by Fleming, FYEO is not a novel but a short story and a short story collection. It also fails the point-of-view requirement, as a visit to Gutenberg reveals. I do own a handful of the Fleming books but have read just a couple of fingerfuls.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alan tiger
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by alan tiger »

ian fleming's "the spy who loved me" wasn't a very good novel.
it's about a young canadian woman who is getting over a failed romance. while traveling through upstate new york in the adirondack mountains, she somehow gets a job as manager of a seedy motel. at the end of the season, two thugs show up, and it becomes obvious that they are going to trash the motel so that the owners can collect on the insurance, and kill the girl in the process. it's not until well after the halfway point in the novel that james bond just happens to show up at the motel with a flat tire. the girl falls in love with him and he manages to kill the thugs before they burn the motel. bond splits in the middle of the night but leaves a note for the girl.
the movie of the same name had nothing to do with the novel.