Thursday, March 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, March 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Thursday, March 11, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
FOREIGN NEWSPAPERS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Representing its outspoken tone, this newspaper founded in the 19th century has the name of a free-spirited opera character

Lori White: 11600-11600=0
Emily Hogg: 8200-8000=200
Dave Pai: 25800+2500=28300 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Le Figaro (Lori – Punch) (Emily – Charlie Hebdo)

Daily Doubles
Emily: 5400-1000
Lori: 4400+2000
Dave: 10200+3200

Coryats
Lori: 10800
Emily: 9200
Dave: 24600

Combined: 44,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Lori: 3200
Emily: 4600
Dave: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Nice work by Emily in NBA LOGOS.

4-letter radiant light around something had me seeing the neg coming while I did not need a rebound to get it.

Katie was too slow to neg "coat of arms" while Ken would know instantly it's a no.

Can't wait to see if Hammer gets the Owl & Pussycat clue after many posts in the past.

Not surprising that Katie gave a comment about Alex Trebek's favorite film.

Dave was getting the hang of the buzzer timing even better as the game moved along. Different opponents can change everything day to day or Dave has a chance to improve on his very respectable correct count total tomorrow.

The FJ! clue had me try two precalls. Le Monde was wrong while my other one saved me from having to figure anything out when I saw the clue.

Good sole solve by Dave to complete a smooth victory although one flap of a wing in a different timeline and Lori gets the 29th clue for $1600 instead of Emily jumping in and the FJ! clue goes Lori's way instead of Dave's.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

What is "Figaro"? Judges? --Bob
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

All done: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=6966

Game comments from Emily well worth reading at Reddit (spoiler for size of post):
Spoiler
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

i Didnt know That How Green was my valley was Trebek's Favorite Film.

The Clue led my to Sidney but i dont know any Sydney Newspapers. i Was Way Off
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 1:57 pm What is "Figaro"? Judges? --Bob
I would give you credit but I might be slightly biased. :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Katie calling the Neck and Neck category "racy" was a decent ad-lib.

I also loved the shout-out to How Green Was My Valley being Alex's favorite film.

====

I love onions, but I ended up crying when that category was done because I didn't get a single one right.

Detroit Pistons was the only one of those NBA teams that I even recognized.

Over/Under for $1200 was begging for someone, including me, to lose the underpass/overpass coinflip.

Yes, I got Runcible Spoon this time.

Surprisingly, I ran Flags of Our Feathers.

I've heard of the character Figaro, but not the newspaper Le Figaro, so I was completely high and dry here.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Should it be accepted? No (articles in French are all but required). Would they probably accept it? Yeah.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: NBA logos, Neck, Flags of Our Feathers, Religious Observances
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: sulfur DD, bulb, underpass,
FJ: Le Figaro instaget. :mrgreen:
pre-empted for Resident Biden. :x
davey

Post by davey »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:33 pm
Should it be accepted? No (articles in French are all but required). Would they probably accept it? Yeah.
The rules of French are irrelevant. The rules of Jeopardy! are in play.
I was suddenly unsure whether the paper was French or Italian, and equally shaky on whether it was Le or La? (Il? El?), so I left the article off (though using the wrong one shouldn't matter either under J! rules). In retrospect, the doubt seems silly - French newspaper named after male character...Maybe it was remembering the recent discussion here of the mispronunciation of a French article that left me insecure...Anyway, I'm counting it!
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

41R. 3/4 on big clues. Didn't know the answer for FJ and wrote Carmen to have something. I think I've heard of Le Figaro before so it should stick now.

All three players did well. Dave pulled away at the end with a really great run. It seemed like he got a really long time for DD3.

Some of the very gettable clues that I missed were Gloria Swanson, Wallonia, Wichita, and James Beard. I'll try to get those ones next time. They come up enough.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

She’s still awful. It sounds like some of her comments were edited in. Anyway, only 6 more torturous episodes. Easy FJ for me. I knew that newspaper from French class in 7th grade. I’ve been to Paris several times & I wish I could still understand French but I’m finding it harder to do so now. Good win by Dave. I thought the one in the middle would finish strong but she petered out early.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I was somewhat surprised only one of the three got that FJ. Le Monde and Le Figaro were the first two foreign papers I thought of when the category was revealed.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:09 pm I was somewhat surprised only one of the three got that FJ. Le Monde and Le Figaro were the first two foreign papers I thought of when the category was revealed.
Le Monde and Der Spiegel...and that's what I was stuck with. TIL 'spiegel' means 'mirror' in German...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Volante wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:27 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:09 pm I was somewhat surprised only one of the three got that FJ. Le Monde and Le Figaro were the first two foreign papers I thought of when the category was revealed.
Le Monde and Der Spiegel...and that's what I was stuck with. TIL 'spiegel' means 'mirror' in German...
Yes, good one. I was trying to think of the famous German paper but came up blank. I think it's a magazine rather than a paper, though.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

econgator wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 7:33 pm
I usually don't participate in judge opinions, but I can't imagine rejecting just "Figaro"
The clue didn't directly ask for the exact full name of the newspaper, and although the category is "Foreign Newspapers", it could be looking for a country, a headline, etc..

Representing its outspoken tone, this newspaper founded in the 19th century has the name of a free-spirited opera character

I started with Punch and landed right away on "Figaro" without trusting that "Le" was right, although it seemed right. I always noticed the connection with the opera song/character/whatever, but assumed it was a coincidence.

Katie jinxed the FJ suspense with her opening comment about the first three being deterministic. I'm surprised every day about how a dominant winner can be rolled over in just one day. Lori was leaking oil early, but did bounce back a little until Dave sent the ladies packing.

Super job by Emily with the NBA logos. How did she get the Denver Nuggets? Luckily, the others were pretty much geography questions. I still forgot that New Orleans was not the Jazz, so that shows my NBA chops.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 pm Super job by Emily with the NBA logos. How did she get the Denver Nuggets?
Mining equipment (pickaxes) and Nuggets--as in gold nuggets?
twelvefootboy wrote:I still forgot that New Orleans was not the Jazz, so that shows my NBA chops.
Don't feel bad. It took me a couple seconds to remember the Washington team is now the Wizards rather than the Bullets. :D
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:35 pm
twelvefootboy wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:31 pm Super job by Emily with the NBA logos. How did she get the Denver Nuggets?
Mining equipment and Nuggets--as in gold nuggets?

I think it was "pickaxes". I was busy just trying to make a visual - I'm always better off sticking to the left brain. To me pickaxes could be the undertakers as easily as hard rock miners. And I think of gold coming out of mines instead of rivers as just movie stuff. Anyhow, she answered so fast I think she actually was familiar with the logo.
twelvefootboy wrote:I still forgot that New Orleans was not the Jazz, so that shows my NBA chops.
Don't feel bad. It took me a couple seconds to remember the Washington team is now the Wizards rather than the Bullets. :D
Yeah, and the Bullets was just the second worst Big 4 major sports team name out of D.C. :lol:. I'm not sure Wizards is an upgrade over just "Washington Basketball Team".

eta - i don't know how to fix the thread bubbles, and somehow double posted - second one cleared but not deleted
Last edited by twelvefootboy on Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.