Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by Volante »

bluejaylink wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 2:40 am 71% correct leaguewide on yesterday's match. That has to be up there for highest ever, I would guess.
The 18.0% beer rate is, that's for sure.

My always having to take a beat to straighten out 'ibex' and 'ibis' finally pays off! (Added bonus, I didn't even -have- to keep them straight! :lol: )
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Mar 10, 2021 9:34 pm Thanks for this context (and teapot37's too). I spotted Soweto and my mind said "township" just from osmosis of hearing it over many years. I didn't know it wasn't just another level of urban organization. It helped reduce the drubbing that mahatma gave on me and we were the only two to tease that one out in the JBL :).
I went with shantytown and knew there was another term that was just not coming to me...As a child of the 80s I definitely remember reading news about apartheid and Soweto in particular.

I set a new record yesterday with my second beer in one season (yeah!). I did get a bit lucky in that I've never seen an episode of The Crown but I think there was a similar question on OQL Pop Solo or regular league. It also took me a while to get to the Osiris - Egypt - Pharoah connection and I honestly have no idea why mineral popped in my head but I knew I had heard that song somewhere even though I've never seen Pirates of Penzance.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:54 am My opponent lives in England so I figured a question referencing college football mascots wouldn’t be in their wheelhouse.
I had no idea there was a sports angle to this question until I browsed the LL forums this morning. I guess I always assumed the Miami mascot was supposed to be a pelican. But it was still a fairly straightforward question, I thought.

I took the 9(6)-9(6) ties against FrankJ. We're currently first and second in our rundle (he's the leader).
classicroadster

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 10:39 am
Bamaman wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 4:54 am My opponent lives in England so I figured a question referencing college football mascots wouldn’t be in their wheelhouse.
I had no idea there was a sports angle to this question until I browsed the LL forums this morning. I guess I always assumed the Miami mascot was supposed to be a pelican. But it was still a fairly straightforward question, I thought.

I took the 9(6)-9(6) ties against FrankJ. We're currently first and second in our rundle (he's the leader).
I probably would've got there but I know the mascot is Sebastian the Ibis...so that immediately made me think ibis...oh yeah the goat thing is an ibex or something.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

The only question I wasn’t sure of was the G&S one but there was an old game show (21?) which had a question about animal, vegetable, of mineral. TBH the question was a little oddly worded. I’ve never read any of those books or watched The Crown but those questions were pretty easy. Two days in a row my opponents have gotten 5 correct and I was lucky enough to assign 3 points to their incorrect answer.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

PBS had a Nature show recently about wildlife in the Alps, which prominently featured the ibex, else I wouldn't have had anything. Knew of the Miami Hurricanes, but not the mascot.

Maybe I'm showing my age, but animal, vegetable or mineral was a given, regardless of knowing G&S.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 9:55 am I honestly have no idea why mineral popped in my head but I knew I had heard that song somewhere even though I've never seen Pirates of Penzance.
Shows up in a popular tv show a few times:
Spoiler

Wait he didn't sing it there.
Here.

Wait he didn't sing it there either. Huh.
Spoiler
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Johnblue wrote: Thu Mar 11, 2021 11:24 am The only question I wasn’t sure of was the G&S one but there was an old game show (21?) which had a question about animal, vegetable, of mineral. TBH the question was a little oddly worded. I’ve never read any of those books or watched The Crown but those questions were pretty easy. Two days in a row my opponents have gotten 5 correct and I was lucky enough to assign 3 points to their incorrect answer.
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Animal, ... Mineral%3F

Never heard of this show but the phrase seems to be immersed in pop culture. Didn’t know its origin.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

It wasn't until I double checked my submission this evening that I realized my opponent had "Harvard Law" in his bio, and I'd given him 2 points for Twinkie Defense. It wouldn't have impacted the match, fortunately, since he missed his other 2 and his 3, and those two were firmly established.

Losing the Kosman Koin flip between K-Pop and J-Pop did cost me, however.

And missing the dental implant question an hour after my wife's appointment to get x-rays for her upcoming dental implant really stung, too.
totebags
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by totebags »

My first perfect match! Surprised I was awarded points for the weight lifting question. I was close but didn't think close enough. Don't think it would have been acceptable on Jeopardy.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 am Losing the Kosman Koin flip between K-Pop and J-Pop did cost me, however.
For what it's worth, "eo" is a transliteration of a Korean vowel that sounds approximately like a short U in English (so Seo would rhyme with "huh?"). That's why Seoul is spelled like that—it's "suh-ool," but the vowels just blend together to sound like the English long O diphthong. So "eo" is something to notice if you're trying to figure out a language of origin.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:32 am It wasn't until I double checked my submission this evening that I realized my opponent had "Harvard Law" in his bio, and I'd given him 2 points for Twinkie Defense. It wouldn't have impacted the match, fortunately, since he missed his other 2 and his 3, and those two were firmly established.

Losing the Kosman Koin flip between K-Pop and J-Pop did cost me, however.

And missing the dental implant question an hour after my wife's appointment to get x-rays for her upcoming dental implant really stung, too.
Why would someone let everyone in LL know they are an attorney? I make as little information about me known on there as I have to. Of course, as a career D/E player, I need all the help I can get.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

There were definitely more than two female speakers in 2001. There was his daughter on the videophone, one of the stewardesses who asks him about his food, the scientist on the space station, and Frank's mother celebrating his birthday. I think there might have been another on the shuttle to Tycho crater also. Plus didn't a woman speak up at the meeting in the conference room? I was impressed that many people got it right; that's one of my favorite movies and it took me some time to suss that one out.

How did 70% get the weightlifting?!?

And hopefully the Twinkie Defense will fade into the mists of time. It was a disgrace.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:13 am There were definitely more than two female speakers in 2001. There was his daughter on the videophone, one of the stewardesses who asks him about his food, the scientist on the space station, and Frank's mother celebrating his birthday. I think there might have been another on the shuttle to Tycho crater also. Plus didn't a woman speak up at the meeting in the conference room? I was impressed that many people got it right; that's one of my favorite movies and it took me some time to suss that one out.

And hopefully the Twinkie Defense will fade into the mists of time. It was a disgrace.
I put clean and jerk but did strongly consider deadlift. Couldn’t name the third technique. Maybe people just put the only one they could think of but given the lack of weightlifting coverage on mainstream sports media that is a higher get rate than I would have thought.
classicroadster

Bamaman wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:44 am
alietr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:13 am There were definitely more than two female speakers in 2001. There was his daughter on the videophone, one of the stewardesses who asks him about his food, the scientist on the space station, and Frank's mother celebrating his birthday. I think there might have been another on the shuttle to Tycho crater also. Plus didn't a woman speak up at the meeting in the conference room? I was impressed that many people got it right; that's one of my favorite movies and it took me some time to suss that one out.

I put clean and jerk but did strongly consider deadlift. Couldn’t name the third technique. Maybe people just put the only one they could think of but given the lack of weightlifting coverage on mainstream sports media that is a higher get rate than I would have thought.
My guess is that deadlifting is a very common exercise in gyms these days with all the cross-fit and pretty much anyone using a personal trainer so its a lot more out there in the world. I mis-read the question and put snatch, which is the other of the big 3 besides clean and jerk. Didn't matter as I was 0'ed on it and lost to a beer as I was in no way getting twinkie defense.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 am

My guess is that deadlifting is a very common exercise in gyms these days with all the cross-fit and pretty much anyone using a personal trainer so its a lot more out there in the world. I mis-read the question and put snatch, which is the other of the big 3 besides clean and jerk. Didn't matter as I was 0'ed on it and lost to a beer as I was in no way getting twinkie defense.
AHH, that's where Rocky Horror failed me. I thought the three were "snatch, clean, and jerk" (bonus comma for clarity of my thought process). This stuff's harder than dynamic tension...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

classicroadster wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 7:45 am
alietr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:13 am How did 70% get the weightlifting?!?
I think there's a little confusion out there as to what the 'big 3' power lifts are. I got this question, partially from my competitive powerlifting days (trust me: if you had ever met me, you'd know how hilarious that phrase is), I remembered the competition as squat, bench press and deadlift.

Most people, I guess, only think of the Olympic events, of which I think there are only two: snatch and clean and jerk. There really isn't any option for the grip on either of those. You have to use an overhand grip with both hands to complete the lift. In the deadlift, there is variation among using overhand/underhand, but mostly I see people doing half-and-half, presumably to balance out the tendency of the bar to want to slip out of the lifter's hands. So the piece about the grip option was a hint as well.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

alietr wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 6:13 am I was impressed that many people got it right; that's one of my favorite movies and it took me some time to suss that one out.
For some reason, that was the first thing that jumped to my mind. I think there was an FJ in December-ish that talked about the airline logo? Maybe that's why it came to me quickly.

Wasn't aware of the Twinkie defense and went with 'junk food'.
kerryoakie
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by kerryoakie »

After losing a frustrating MD13 6(5)-7(5), I handed my opponent a 7(5)-6(5) on MD14. I'd like to thank my lousy Pop Music record for the 3 on K-Pop!
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

mahatma wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 9:21 am I got this question, partially from my competitive powerlifting days (trust me: if you had ever met me, you'd know how hilarious that phrase is), I remembered the competition as squat, bench press and deadlift.

yeah, me too! I'm 135 pounds soaking wet with a few rolls of quarters in my pockets; but thanks to formulas (Malone for women, and whatever is was for men...don't remember the name) I ranked higher than much larger men.
Total game show career losings = $171,522