Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: Learned League 88 - Feb/Mar '21

Post by RandyG »

Late last night my wife was watching an episode of Grantchester. She puts it on pause and asks me whether I'm familiar with this book.

Well.... at that moment I was extraordinarily familiar with it, but earlier in the day, not at all. :roll:

This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

alietr wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 am I guess I have to call that an easy week, since I only missed 3 questions. And I should have gotten 2 of them. Be afraid of next week.
It seems like the difficulty level between match days has been all over the map this season. I only missed two questions this week and still went 1-0-4 (4 ties).
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:49 pm
alietr wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 10:30 am I guess I have to call that an easy week, since I only missed 3 questions. And I should have gotten 2 of them. Be afraid of next week.
It seems like the difficulty level between match days has been all over the map this season. I only missed two questions this week and still went 1-0-4 (4 ties).
#Arundleproblems. I missed nine and went 5-0. After a horrible start, I am now close to the promotion zone. Granted, I wouldn’t last long in C, but it would be fun to be invited.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Bamaman wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:48 pm
#Arundleproblems. I missed nine and went 5-0. After a horrible start, I am now close to the promotion zone. Granted, I wouldn’t last long in C, but it would be fun to be invited.
Late bloomer, G!

Yeah, #Arundleproblems :lol: .... I've missed 9 over the last 9 matches and have gone 1-7-1. (Of course, my really sucky defense this season -- just under 200 points below my long term average :shock: -- hasn't helped.)
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Woof wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 1:00 am
reddpen wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 12:49 am
Lefty wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 4:07 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Mar 12, 2021 2:14 pm ... I'm seeing posts on various fora where people are perplexed that that one scored so low. I was surprised it scored so high! I couldn't think of anything beyond "everywhere that Mary went, the lamb was sure to go."
I remembered only this continuation from MAD (maybe Frank Jacobs?):

But Mary found the cost of meat
Had soared, which didn't please her.
Tonight she's having leg of lamb--
The rest is in the freezer.
Frank Jacobs, MAD's Poet Lauridiot. So much of his stuff is ingrained in memory. In that vein...

A Rundle of Joy Dept.
In the past eight matches, I've gotten five or six right each time, which might be my best run of TCA ever. In that span I've faced four 6-packs (while chugging thrice myself, including against Woof)... and my record is 2-2-4. I know, wanh, but a streak like this makes me wonder if I'm bound for that Unluckiest Llamas cohort.
Had I not snatched at the FLamingo neg bait on MD13, I'd have tied bomtr too. At least tying slam on MD11 knocked him out of first. #ARundleProblems

I thought school was so obvious that I zeroed it. Interesting how the stuff you learn young--assuming you're exposed to it--sticks with you the longest.
I too zeroed school. In a similar vein to yours, the only thing that kept me from an unprecedented string of 4 six-packs in 5 days was an RTFQ answer of QE2 for The Crown
I also zeroed school, but then I am old. I'm actually shocked that Thorsten took things this far into candyland this week. I would have had an entire perfect week if I hadn't been such an idiot (instead of a dummy--for which I was assigned zero), a thing I never thought might happen, and my QPct is at its highest level ever and by far. Some of that is just fortuitous knowledge base synchronicity, but I didn't spend a lot of time pondering this week. Also shocked that schliemann missed his second and third questions of the season--on the same day!--and fell out of first place overall in TMP (okay, rookie). I'm actually hoping to see a return to a normal level of difficulty.

I just looked through all the questions of the week, and there were some I needed time to settle on--Venice, township, pharaoh, and a couple others (was it twinkie or snickers, twinkie or snickers)--but never had that familiar 'oh, i'll never come up with that one' or 'hell, i feel like i should know this, but...' feeling. Sorry you were seduced by the shrimp-eating bird, Pen, fully expected a clink of the stein.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I don’t get a copy of my answers sent to me, but is there a way to see what I answered for a question?

I think someone mentioned it once, but I can’t find it.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Kinda there with you: I missed 6, but went 1-3-1 (as opposed to week 1, where I missed 16, but went 3-2).
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

twelvefootboy wrote: Sat Mar 13, 2021 11:30 am I'm (mildly) surprised Bluegrass only came in at 42%. But Bill Monroe's name was obscure even in the popular heyday around the Deliverance and Bonnie and Clyde movies. I would have guessed it at 80% and Gorilla glue at 50% (instead of 92%).
I got tangled in the Serbia/Croatia/Herzegovinia/Macedonia trainwreck and didn't consider Czech Republic which is a lot easier 2 for 1 math.
I cycled through "illusion of perception", and several poetic terms including windows, but never made it to Doors. I gave it a three to ClassicRoadster in the JBL, and he has knocked me out of the chase group with a 7(4)-5(4) win. He is leading the lightweight division over KerryOakie by a point and a little gap to Bamaman and twelvefootsis1. Mahatma is undefeated in the heavyweight, but we have managed two bunt singles to spoil the perfecto :).
You rightfully game me 3 on that one as Doors was a WAG based solely on a rock band from the late 60s with a one word plural name...it did sound plausible. Only missed 2 koin flips with stars/comets and also helter skelter/bedlam (no college football clue this time Thorsten??). Good match!

I'm way ahead of pace for my best TCA ever and have 2 beers this season for first time ever so count me in on the last 7 matches being on the easier side...I'd like for that to continue but who knows.
mennoknight

Post by mennoknight »

Yep, last week was my best week ever in LL, I missed 1 question (the Township one). Every guess I had was right except that one, and just a lot of stuff that seemed "what else could it possibly be?"

So of course, I went 2-0-3.
I eat chicken. That's what I do.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I thought the Midseason Classic was exceptionally difficult. Usually I know at least half of them on my first read through and then come up with a couple more later. This time I only knew four, and that's all I ended up getting. Yikes.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:59 pm I thought the Midseason Classic was exceptionally difficult. Usually I know at least half of them on my first read through and then come up with a couple more later. This time I only knew four, and that's all I ended up getting. Yikes.
Agreed! I had 4 as well (Modern Family -- only thanks to the conversation on this board recently!, Bose/Einstein, Essays, and Kruger). I should have had Cleveland, but oh well. I managed 295 pts, which put me just out of the top 5.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:19 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 2:59 pm I thought the Midseason Classic was exceptionally difficult. Usually I know at least half of them on my first read through and then come up with a couple more later. This time I only knew four, and that's all I ended up getting. Yikes.
Agreed! I had 4 as well (Modern Family -- only thanks to the conversation on this board recently!, Bose/Einstein, Essays, and Kruger). I should have had Cleveland, but oh well. I managed 295 pts, which put me just out of the top 5.
5 for me for 296 and 8th in Serengeti C (DHK was 7th) as I moneyed/missed fisherman (angler) and did not money essays which I did get right.

Guessed Jackson for Cleveland. Guessed Stalingrad and knew Rainer (easiest of the 12 for me after Modern Family).
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

At the end of his first term, what 19th-century US President had vetoed double the number of bills (414) of all previous presidents combined (206), with his final total exceeding that of all other previous presidents by a margin of 334 (584-250)?
I slept on this question, and was very proud to figure out the trick the next day. It helped to notice that the number of vetoes by all other previous presidents was different at the beginning of his first term and the end of his second term. Therefore, there had to be another president somewhere in between his first and second term. That narrowed down the choices considerably.

I qualified for the top 5 in scoring my rundle for the first time in 3 years. If I'd have had the guts to money my guess of dance, I'd have been close to top 50.

(I've really stopped moneying guesses, which means I miss some improvements, but I have many fewer regrets, so it's worth it to me, I guess.)
classicroadster

Post by classicroadster »

6 right for me in the Classic (Modern Family, Irene, Cleveland, Kruger, Stalingrad, Angler)...misses include boson for bose and treatise instead of essay. Others I had no clue on. I did manage to get all my moneys and qualify out of C for Magnolia and our 9th place finish. Not bad considering Magnolia was in the 30s recently.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Yeah, 5 questions had get rates below 25%. My league finished 9th, but I finished 7th in my rundle despite being 86th% overall.
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

8 correct. I should’ve read the Presidential Veto question more carefully. I thought Jackson was the answer. I put Hildegarde for the German Sybil question.
bluejaylink
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bluejaylink »

I managed to get 6. I only got the Modern Family one because of the recent Jeopardy clue.

I spent a lot of time trying to think of all the 19th century presidents until I re-read the question and found that it was basically just asking for the president who served non-consecutive terms.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Mar 15, 2021 3:33 pm Guessed Jackson for Cleveland. Guessed Stalingrad and knew Rainer (easiest of the 12 for me after Modern Family).
Also had Jackson and Stalingrad.
RandyG

Post by RandyG »

Luise Rainer was an answer to this question (76.15.1): FILM - Meryl Streep has been nominated for an Academy Award for Best Actress 17 times (including for 2017's The Post) and has won the award twice. Name any one of the five actresses who have been nominated for that award exactly two times and won it twice. https://learnedleague.com/match.php?76&15

P.S. One of the other answers to that question has a good shot at 3/3.