Friday, March 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, March 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, March 19, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ARTISTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The February 17, 1901 death of his friend Carles Casagemas made this grief-stricken artist change his color palette

Morgan Briles: 11800+10000=21800
Jilana Rose-Silverberg: 13400+11801=25201
Nick Cascone: 15200+11601=26801 (New Champ)

Correct response:
Spoiler
Pablo Picasso

Daily Doubles
Nick: 1600-1600
Nick: 7400+7400
Nick: 18800-8000

Coryats
Morgan: 11800
Jilana: 13400
Nick: 19000

Combined: 44,200

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Morgan: 2200
Jilana: 3400
Nick: 4600
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Courtesy of WNEM in Bay City I was able to see the game early as that station moved the airing to 10ET due to NCAA hoops. It was fun to see some different ads even including the gambling ones.

Nick was 1/3 on DDs for minus 2200 total, but because of his buzzer skills he still had the lead for the FJ! round.

Nick gave me a good laugh with his faulty (though I get it) logic for the $1000 baseball clue: “The greatest drawing card in the history of baseball"

No, Nick, not Wagner for a baseball card. :lol:

The FJ! clue was huge advantage leader as the dots to connect are not obscure and unless there were wagering shenanigans the positions were going to remain the same after the round.

Nick demonstrated betting bravery even though he only hit 50% on wagering clues. A break to think about his game should help Nick and I can imagine him surpassing his 19000 Coryat on Monday with new guest host, Dr. Oz.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by bigblue999 »

Nicholas is also an actor who's roles included Titanic and The West Wing.

https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0143167/
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

I said Van Gogh. was too Obvious.

Like everyone else , not Looking forward to Dr Oz on Monday
JayK33
Just a Fan

Post by JayK33 »

Instaget FJ. Thinking about artists from the early 1900s doesn't give me many ideas, and I know of the Blue Period.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Pre-empted by NCAA. Hoping it will be on after the Late Late Show.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Instaget FJ.

The date was the birth of my great aunt.

In Titanic, Nick played one of the members of the treasure hunter's crew.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

AntmanB wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 6:01 pm Like everyone else , not Looking forward to Dr Oz on Monday
Going from a fake journalist to a fake physician shouldn't be much of a stretch :twisted:
runs: American History, Pirate Flags, Bible Jobs, Baseball, Lakes, Knight to Remember
DDs: :D :D :D
trash: Babe Ruth, carpenter, hunter, Wiesenthal,
FJ: Who is Picasso? Instaget :mrgreen:
The 1600 clue in Knights should've come with a health warning. :vomit:
Expected Morgan to stay high & dry in FJ, playing for the stumper as that seemed to work before.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Katie really undersold Nick's TDD, but otherwise was decent.

The rest of the hosts I'm not sure of yet.

Ran Jobs in the Bible, but was 0/5 in Baseball and Female First Name. Just couldn't connect the dots... and Mary is my mom's name to boot.

Spanish sounding name + color? Picasso had a "blue period" so let's try him.
zakharov

Post by zakharov »

Did anyone else miss the Babe Ruth clue because it seemed too easy for a $1k? I felt like a big dummy as I tried to think of anyone else it might be BESIDES Ruth.
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote:Expected Morgan to stay high & dry in FJ, playing for the stumper as that seemed to work before.
As they went to break, I predicted she would overwager for a TS. She did as I expected but Jilana made a larger overwager to win last place in the event of a TS
Morgan may have underbet in her second game but it cost her a much better payday than she would have had with a logical wager.
All three games she failed to make the best wager from behind in FJ and I feared it would cost her eventually. Tonight would have been 'the charm' if it were a TS.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 3/4 on big clues. I missed the Andrew Jackson DD. I read "went to St. Louis" without reading "Cathedral in New Orleans" then I did the math and figured it had something to do with the War of 1812. Madison and Monroe were dead in 1840 so I said JQ Adams. I got adrenal glands in part because of a clue that was posted in the Final Jeopardy Clues thread on this forum. Not sure if I would have gotten it without that.

I loved Nick's wagering. I think he wagered correctly and I was really happy to see it. I'm glad that he won so I can see him play again on Monday. Morgan was a fun champ to watch.

My rule of thumb: always bet the maximum on the J round DD and always bet the maximum on the DJ round DD if you find it on the first 8 clues. Don't even think about wagering until the last 22 clues of the game. That leaves plenty of time to catch up in case you miss.

Got Adam Scott right. I've mixed up Adam Scott and Scott Adams several times. I mixed up Elie Wiesel and Simon Wiesenthal. Also mixed up Leo Durocher and Tommy Lasorda. Should be able to get that organized so I won't do it next time.

Missed the clues about Blackbeard, Bathyscape/Diving Bell, Bell/Book/Candle, and The Lion in Winter. I'll try to remember those for next time.

I missed fat tissue and said lipids. They were asking for the cell and a lipid is not a type of cell so that's wrong.

Katie Couric said the Jeopardy! cast and crew are responsible for making her look good and I appreciate their work.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 am Nick gave me a good laugh with his faulty (though I get it) logic for the $1000 baseball clue: “The greatest drawing card in the history of baseball"

I did the same thing and said Wagner. I don't understand the clue. What does drawing card mean here? I'm familiar with those terms in something like boxing where somebody can be a draw and they can be on a card but I don't know if I've ever seen the term drawing card.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:59 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 am Nick gave me a good laugh with his faulty (though I get it) logic for the $1000 baseball clue: “The greatest drawing card in the history of baseball"

I did the same thing and said Wagner. I don't understand the clue. What does drawing card mean here? I'm familiar with those terms in something like boxing where somebody can be a draw and they can be on a card but I don't know if I've ever seen the term drawing card.
I did the same with Wagner, but it made sense to me afterwards. A lesser used definition of card these days refers to it as a program:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_(sports) (See: Undercard, title card)

So if Babe Ruth was on the card, he'd draw in a larger crowd compared to other names. The term was likely more common back when they made his plaque in the 30s
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Thanks for the drawing card explanation; I had assumed it was just a baseball card with an artist's rendition of the player instead of a photograph.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For a slightly more recent example of a drawing card: Andre the Giant

When he came to town more people showed up at the Cow Palace.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Volante wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 11:18 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:59 pm
I did the same with Wagner, but it made sense to me afterwards. A lesser used definition of card these days refers to it as a program:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Card_(sports) (See: Undercard, title card)

So if Babe Ruth was on the card, he'd draw in a larger crowd compared to other names. The term was likely more common back when they made his plaque in the 30s
I think Nick didn't get the category (I believe he started at the bottom with this clue). I haven't been to Cooperstown, but I guess there is a motto/epitaph on each plaque. Babe Ruth certainly made the game explode, much like Arnie and Tiger in golf. The Honus Wagner guess just comes from the fact that (may not still be true) his playing card was/is the most expensive collector item - I think there are six of them in existence and they came in a tobacco tin. Update - I tried to confirm this and the wiki is a hot mess, but TIL that Wayne Gretzky bought one for $450K and sold it later to WalMart for $500K.

I quit keeping score but I think I got every clue before the break. I agree with Hammer that Katie missed the moment when Nick went all in for $7400, but he was so nonchalant, it probably missed her radar.

I went with Picasso, but felt like it might be too early but couldn't come up with any better guesses. I completely missed the Spanish sounding name connection which would have helped my comfort zone.

Thank you Katie. You've taught me to give Dr. Oz a fair chance. Maybe he will surprise us.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Mar 19, 2021 10:52 am Courtesy of WNEM in Bay City I was able to see the game early as that station moved the airing to 10ET due to NCAA hoops.
Is this the station TPH watches J! from? I would assume so.