Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Monday, April 12, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

The "they call me" TOM for the soda took me in a different direction, as I thought Donovan instead of Poitier and went to Mello Yello. I don't think I would have rung in on it, because "cherryish" isn't how I understood its flavor to be, but I said it aloud at home and felt pretty sheepish.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

37R. 3/4 on big clues. Didn't get Vicksburg. Thought about Zion first and then I re-read the clue and couldn't pull anything. Lots of stuff for me to learn this game.

I wrote a nearly identical FJ clue in the FJ clue thread here about a week or two ago. Except I messed up and forgot about Germany and I deleted that post instead of salvaging it. I can't believe that was actually used for a FJ. I'm psyched that I actually hit that close to the target.

I was in a zoom audition group with Drew Fox on May 12, 2020 with Los Angeles locals. I didn't think they would be calling people after 11 months (less than 11 months) and that's cool. Congrats to him for getting on the show but too bad for running into Dennis. Another contestant from that group that was on previously and I think just those two. They asked him if Alex should call him Drew or Fox.

Missed swathe and said suture. Missed William Blake and said William Hogarth. I learned how to pronounce Domesday correctly. I said Athenian School instead of School of Athens or Athens School.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are Tyrrhenian Sea, Buckley, beriberi, Pago Pago, and Cézanne.

The pause for mine/coal mine reminded me of a discussion about that on here a while back.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Plactus wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 9:48 pm
ACW wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 3:17 pm Technically, it was West Germany, so that's a bit tricky.
By its wording, the clue didn't ask for countries that have hosted the Summer Olympics in two different cites, just countries with two different cities that have hosted the Summer Olympics. Berlin and Munich are both in present-day Germany.
Well observed. I no longer find the clue problematic.

As a matter of curiosity, though, does anyone know if the IOC has an official ruling as to whether present-day Germany inherits the records of West Germany? How about East Germany?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm I also thought Germany was the more obvious one, due to Munich being more modern than Melbourne.
But why compare the less recent of one pair to the more recent of the other? The Sydney Olympics are 28 years more modern than the Munich. And the Melbourne Olympics are 20 years more modern than the Berlin. That's a total of 48 years more modern for Australia. Maybe the argument to go with is that the Berlin and Munich Olympics are both (in)famous. I can see why they might stick in someone's head more. For me, I remembered the Sydney Olympics and the announcers commenting on Australia having previously hosted the Olympics in Melbourne. That made for an easy path. I don't remember the Munich Olympics at all, except maybe Mark Spitz.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

seaborgium wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:46 pm The "they call me" TOM for the soda took me in a different direction, as I thought Donovan instead of Poitier and went to Mello Yello. I don't think I would have rung in on it, because "cherryish" isn't how I understood its flavor to be, but I said it aloud at home and felt pretty sheepish.
Ha! Yeah it would be hard to come out of that tailspin in time. I didn't even notice the TOM. The question I asked from the couch was, "They think Mr. Pibb has a 'cherryish' flavor?"
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:02 pm As a matter of curiosity, though, does anyone know if the IOC has an official ruling as to whether present-day Germany inherits the records of West Germany? How about East Germany?
The IOC considers Germany, West Germany, East Germany, and the German Unified Team (the latter competed 1956-1964) to be four separate entities with separate records. (Other sources do combine the results for all four under Germany.)
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I came up with Australia almost immediately but was insecure enough to keep "thinking." When I thought of "Sochi" I changed my response, forgetting the "Summer" requirement... :twisted: Have I mentioned I don't follow the Olympics?... ;) :oops:

I recently learned of the "candy" in American Food...$800 when I received this picture as an advertisement. My question: Who's buying this?? At best, it looks like he's peddling sea monster parts... :roll:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:29 pm I recently learned of the "candy" in American Food...$800 when I received this picture as an advertisement. My question: Who's buying this?? At best, it looks like he's peddling sea monster parts... :roll:
It's just salmon jerky...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Volante wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:45 pm
davey wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:29 pm I recently learned of the "candy" in American Food...$800 when I received this picture as an advertisement. My question: Who's buying this?? At best, it looks like he's peddling sea monster parts... :roll:
Yeah jerky, it's just salmon. :D
davey

Post by davey »

Hey, I didn't say anything about the guy... ;)
Whatever it is, it's 39 bucks a pound... :roll:
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Fox really shot himself in the foot by not taking the Alex Jacob approach of taking your time to reread and make sure on his DD.

Is the Domesday Book pronounced the way Dennis gave? I pronounced it how it appears to be spelled...

After missing a recent-ish FJ about Summer Olympic host cities, I made a flash card for it, so this one was a no-doubter.
Volante

Post by Volante »

davey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 am
Not sure if you've checked the price of boring ol' beef jerky, but the -house- brand can go for $20/lb. Jump up a tier and you're going to hit $32-$35/lb easy.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
AntmanB

Post by AntmanB »

Hey i got FInal Right! im an Olympics Nerd so i got that about halfway through.
Volante

Post by Volante »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:22 am Is the Domesday Book pronounced the way Dennis gave? I pronounced it how it appears to be spelled...
Yep, properly pronounced, it's "Doomsday". Going phonetic won't get you dinged on J! tho.
davey

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:26 am
davey wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 12:04 am
Not sure if you've checked the price of boring ol' beef jerky, but the -house- brand can go for $20/lb. Jump up a tier and you're going to hit $32-$35/lb easy.
No, I have to admit I have not spent a lot of time pricing jerky, nor has anyone done it for me before...Thanks!
Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

I had Australia 🇦🇺 instantly as I’ve been to Sydney’s Olympic center & I've heard of Melbourne’s Olympics. I spent the next 29 seconds trying to come up with #2 but failed. Good game by the returning champ. Footballer did better than last week so that’s nice.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm
jeff6286 wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 10:27 pm I also thought Germany was the more obvious one, due to Munich being more modern than Melbourne.
But why compare the less recent of one pair to the more recent of the other? The Sydney Olympics are 28 years more modern than the Munich. And the Melbourne Olympics are 20 years more modern than the Berlin. That's a total of 48 years more modern for Australia. Maybe the argument to go with is that the Berlin and Munich Olympics are both (in)famous. I can see why they might stick in someone's head more. For me, I remembered the Sydney Olympics and the announcers commenting on Australia having previously hosted the Olympics in Melbourne. That made for an easy path. I don't remember the Munich Olympics at all, except maybe Mark Spitz.
I pretty much explained this in the part of my post you cut out. Basically the largest city in a country like Berlin or Sydney hosting an Olympics is more the norm, or expected, so thinking of a second city to host like Munich or Melbourne is what you need to find here, and I think if one were working backwards, getting from 2016 all the way to 1956 in under 30 seconds without going into panic mode is going to be hard but getting to 1972 seems more reasonable.

Of course as noted there are exceptions: Madrid, Toronto, and New York have never hosted while their countries' #2 cities have.

Also I just learned that Montreal was in fact the largest city in Canada until the 1990s, and it would have been nearly double the size of Toronto when the 1976 games were bid for and awarded. (Toronto amalgamated with six surrounding municipalities on January 1, 1998, this was the big move.)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm I don't remember the Munich Olympics at all, except maybe Mark Spitz.
Um, seriously? Nothing else?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

alietr wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 6:18 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm I don't remember the Munich Olympics at all, except maybe Mark Spitz.
Um, seriously? Nothing else?
Seriously. I was 6 years old. Everything else I learned about the '72 Olympics, I learned later on.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

jeff6286 wrote: Tue Apr 13, 2021 4:50 am
opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Apr 12, 2021 11:10 pm
I pretty much explained this in the part of my post you cut out. Basically the largest city in a country like Berlin or Sydney hosting an Olympics is more the norm, or expected, so thinking of a second city to host like Munich or Melbourne is what you need to find here, and I think if one were working backwards, getting from 2016 all the way to 1956 in under 30 seconds without going into panic mode is going to be hard but getting to 1972 seems more reasonable.
Ok, that's a little clearer to me this time. Thanks.