Friday, July 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Friday, July 6, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

I knew that between Madame Butterfly and Turandot we cover Japan and China, but I wasn't totally sure which was which. MB I had first, but then I switched. It's the third FJ switch (maybe four) I've done recently, and the first of those that I've been correct to do...
FJ spoilers from the last week, and one from a few weeks ago
Spoiler
Taj Mahal to Alhambra (6/21)
China to India (7/4)
considered New York, went Florida (7/5) (This one I wasn't necessarily locked in on NYC, hence the "maybe four" above.)
After her $100 FJ wager yesterday, I wasn't expecting all-in from Stephanie despite the tie. That was a pleasant surprise.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Austin Powers wrote: Chinese female title character ---> Turandot. I figured two would say Madame Butterfly and kinda had a hunch the champ would get it. So I was half wrong about that.
Raises hand for Madame Butterfly. I knew I had a Japanese vs. Chinese problem. Perhaps if I had realized I was on the right track with Puccini I could have tried a brainstorm of his works. Of course it would be a lot easier to acutally learn something about Turandot other than the title. Time to crack open the old Chuck Forrest book.

Way to go for Stephanie to solve it and properly bet the farm.

The Kursk had me unable to recall the name, but I like those for the the big bucks. No way all three will be trying to get in on something like that. On the right show someone can collect and show off good knowledge. I'll just try to remember it if it comes up on one of those world quzzing events.

Are Nursery Rhymes considered an unfavorable category these days? I don't get why that would be the one of the six in the J! round to not be completed. But, at least there's no guarantee I would have known the two I didn't see while I did get the final three in Starting Words.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

I forgot to add my second instinct on the FJ clue. With "morte" in the wording I also considered Guinevere in a Malory stretch. Bet AP didn't anticipate that one.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote:The Kursk had me unable to recall the name, but I like those for the the big bucks.
After the first 4, I'd've been on the buzzer as quickly as I could ... and then looked like a deer in headlights. I had "K ... K ... K ...."
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

No chance on Turandot. All I had was Madame Butterfly. I should've just left it blank since I knew it was wrong...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

The writers really can't use "This musician" when asking about a fiddler. I think that's both gramatically incorrect and incredibly misleading. I think for other clues, the writers used "this ice cream" to mean "this brand of ice cream."
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

The worst thing about the Kursk clue was that recently, perhaps even today, I read something, I suspect on Twitter, saying that the Edmund Fitzgerald, the Kursk, and the Lusitania all sank in waters shallower than the vessels' respective lengths. I was even going to read the fact aloud to someone, but I didn't bother because I didn't know what the Kursk was, and moved on because my attention span was too short to bother following through.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Opera Characters
In a play subtitle she's called "The Chinese Sphinx"; in a later opera her suitor calls her "Principessa di Morte".
Spoiler
Who is Turandot? Henry said Aida (although the last letter was incomplete); Susan said Cleopatra.
Stephanie Fontaine: $11,200+$11,200=$22,400...now a 2-day champion with $35,100
Susan Cohen: $11,200-$5,000=$6,200
Henry Doering: $9,400-$5,000=$4,400
davey

Post by davey »

stevo4212 wrote:The writers really can't use "This musician" when asking about a fiddler. I think that's both gramatically incorrect and incredibly misleading. I think for other clues, the writers used "this ice cream" to mean "this brand of ice cream."
That was painfully easy to anyone who knows about Chagall or Broadway musicals, or the place they intersect. I guess you thought they wanted a person's name? (Jelly's Last Jam!) The clue does speak of an individual...The fiddler...who's on a roof! In any case, the grammar looks fine to me...
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Did you see how Stephanie was quickly giving responses, then quickly selecting the next clue down the stretch??? Like she wanted to actually get through all of the clues before time ran out? Which might even allow her to catch up to the leader? (Or let him catch...down to her) Even if she wasn't as cute as a button, I would still LOVE HER!
Austin Powers

Post by Austin Powers »

jeff6286 wrote:Did you see how Stephanie was quickly giving responses, then quickly selecting the next clue down the stretch??? Like she wanted to actually get through all of the clues before time ran out? Which might even allow her to catch up to the leader? (Or let him catch...down to her) Even if she wasn't as cute as a button, I would still LOVE HER!
Yep. Immensely competent and a gutsy appropriate bet on FJ.
stevo4212

Post by stevo4212 »

davey wrote:
stevo4212 wrote:The writers really can't use "This musician" when asking about a fiddler. I think that's both gramatically incorrect and incredibly misleading. I think for other clues, the writers used "this ice cream" to mean "this brand of ice cream."
That was painfully easy to anyone who knows about Chagall or Broadway musicals, or the place they intersect. I guess you thought they wanted a person's name? (Jelly's Last Jam!) The clue does speak of an individual...The fiddler...who's on a roof! In any case, the grammar looks fine to me...
I thought the bottom two clues were a great deal easier than the top three in that category.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

At least I can take comfort in the fact that I seem to be the only (or nearly the only) boardie where "Kursk" was an instaget. I remember the story.

(I say "nearly only" because there are people like AP on the board. And our resident Russophile, Vanya.)
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Well, damn; I guess it's not going to be good enough just to learn what operas go with what composers.

For the 'Kursk' clue, I remembered it started with a k and remembered it ended with sk and ur...uh...

In a way, it's a good thing Henry missed FJ; that way, no single (maverick) moment that cost the game to haunt.
Fishercat

Post by Fishercat »

Credit where credit's due, Stephanie (who I liked already) with a gutsy, appropriate FJ wager and a correct response. Very excited she's coming back as champion next time around.

I cringed for Henry when he rang in on the last clue, I'm just glad it didn't affect the game result for him. Good character.

And should I ever be so intelligent and lucky to turn down Jeopardy a few times over not having an anecdote, wowza.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

opted for Madame Butterfly and never heard of Turandot until today.
dhkendall
Pursuing the Dream

Post by dhkendall »

bomtr wrote:In a way, it's a good thing Henry missed FJ; that way, no single (maverick) moment that cost the game to haunt.
If you live in Crazytown, you'll find one. As God is your witness, you'll find one.
"Jeopardy! is two parts luck and one part luck" - Me

"The way to win on Jeopardy is to be a rabidly curious, information-omnivorous person your entire life." - Ken Jennings

Follow my progress game by game since 2012
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

bomtr wrote: In a way, it's a good thing Henry missed FJ; that way, no single (maverick) moment that cost the game to haunt.
I said it in the "new old games" thread: my "this close" standard is if exactly one thing in a contestant's play can be changed to bring about his or her win. (Funnily enough, it was about someone else who negged out of the lead on the final DJ clue and got an opera FJ wrong.) Glad someone feels similarly.

(That's part of why I kinda wish I'd bet big on my fifth FJ. I had third place lock-tied $16,400 to $8,200, with first at $18,000. I bet $0, first place bet $7,000, and I had a sole get. If I had bet huge enough, she could have said, "Well, if I had gotten it right, I would have lost anyway," but the way it turned out I imagine her alternately regretting getting it wrong and not wagering even less. Of course, I also think it would have been nice if I had broken $100k, but that's beside my point.)
Onairb

Post by Onairb »

jeff6286 wrote:Did you see how Stephanie was quickly giving responses, then quickly selecting the next clue down the stretch??? Like she wanted to actually get through all of the clues before time ran out? Which might even allow her to catch up to the leader? (Or let him catch...down to her) Even if she wasn't as cute as a button, I would still LOVE HER!
Liked that she chose clues quickly, and didn't need to 'study' the category names to prompt herself. Disliked 'Uh' before every, uh,response and, uh, selection.
davey

Post by davey »

Fishercat wrote:
And should I ever be so intelligent and lucky to turn down Jeopardy a few times over not having an anecdote, wowza.
Can that story possibly be true? If it is, it can only demonstrate her cold feet, not the lack of sparkle of her anecdotes...