FJ!s for the 4/26/21 week

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Which FJ! clues did you solve correctly for the 4/26.21 week?

Poll ended at Sun Oct 24, 2021 7:48 pm

The mythical founder Byzas consulted the Oracle of Delphi before establishing what's now known as this city
84%
This subtropical region is a biosphere reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, &, as of 1947, a National Park
84%
This director was quoted as saying, "I believe I can take any 60 pages of the Bible and make a great picture"
86%
A homophone of a letter in the alphabet, this 5-letter word sounds the same if you remove its last 4 vowels
92%
In books by him, the Kingdom of Noland, ruled by an orphan named Bud, borders a country called Ix, where Queen Zixi reigns  
48%
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:  I checked all five above.
34%
:( :( :( :( :(  I missed all the FJ! clues.
No votes
BUSINESS ACRONYMS & ABBREV. $800: NASDAQ is the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated these bids & offers
37%
LET'S VISIT THE CITY $1000: Begun in 778, the Buddhist temple Kiyomizu-Dera is in this city & former capital of Japan
71%
WE HAVE SUCH CHEMISTRY $2000: This Frenchman's 1789 "Elementary Treatise on Chemistry" is said to be the field's first modern textbook
55%
I came up short on the Monday FJ! clue with Byzantium or Constantinople.
3%
I have visited Istanbul.
2%
I have visited the Everglades.
21%
I could have named Blount as DeMille's middle name if that was needed for the Wednesday FJ! clue.
1%
I needed to run through the alphabet to solve the Thursday FJ! clue.
29%
Kipling was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
3%
Tolkien was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
1%
Martin or Lewis was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
20%
I am pretty sure to certain I have read Queen Zixi of Ix.
1%
At least one game in my area aired later than normal due to President Biden's speech or the NFL draft.
36%

Total votes: 87

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

FJ!s for the 4/26/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

4/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
CITY ORIGIN STORIES

4/26 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The mythical founder Byzas consulted the Oracle of Delphi before establishing what's now known as this city

4/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
U.S. NATIONAL PARKS

4/27 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This subtropical region is a biosphere reserve, a UNESCO World Heritage Site, &, as of 1947, a National Park

4/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
HOLLYWOOD LEGENDS

4/28 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
This director was quoted as saying, "I believe I can take any 60 pages of the Bible and make a great picture"

4/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
ODD WORDS

4/29 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A homophone of a letter in the alphabet, this 5-letter word sounds the same if you remove its last 4 vowels

4/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BOOKS & AUTHORS

4/30 FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
In books by him, the Kingdom of Noland, ruled by an orphan named Bud, borders a country called Ix, where Queen Zixi reigns

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
Istanbul
the Everglades
Cecil B. DeMille
queue
(Lyman Frank) Baum
The players were 11/15 (73.33%) with a 2-3-2-3-1 success pattern.

The extra clues have a requested clue a player rebounded correctly followed by two others the players got correct.

BUSINESS ACRONYMS & ABBREV. $800: NASDAQ is the National Association of Securities Dealers Automated these bids & offers

LET'S VISIT THE CITY $1000: Begun in 778, the Buddhist temple Kiyomizu-Dera is in this city & former capital of Japan

WE HAVE SUCH CHEMISTRY $2000: This Frenchman's 1789 "Elementary Treatise on Chemistry" is said to be the field's first modern textbook

Correct responses in spoiler box:
Spoiler
quotations
Kyoto
Lavoisier

MarkBarrett

Re: FJ!s for the 4/26/21 week

Post by MarkBarrett »

:mrgreen: :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Bikini Atoll on Tuesday
Kipling on Friday

No guess on NASDAQ
Knew Blount
Got queue without needing to do my ABCs

I have read other Baum books, but not the relevant one
W-F all aired at 10:30 instead of 7

To me it is better to pass on polling anything about Kelly “Three Fingers” Donohue.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Plactus

Post by Plactus »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :mrgreen: :(

Lewis.

Never been to Istanbul or Florida.
Did not know DeMille's middle name.
Have not read anything Baum wrote.

Jeopardy! airs here well before primetime, so no preemptions this week. I thought it would be preempted last week for coverage of the Chauvin verdict but that wrapped up quickly.
Oh, what has science wrought? I sought only to turn a man into a metal-encased juggernaut of destruction powered by the unknown properties of a mysterious living crystal. How could this have all gone wrong?
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Made up some guy named Johnson on Friday.
Been to Turkey (Izmir), but not Istanbul.
Been airboating in the Everglades.
Friday was pre-empted due to the Draft.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Johnblue

Post by Johnblue »

:shock: :mrgreen: :shock:

I have visited the Everglades at least 3 times. I was going to visit Istanbul in October but the CV changed that. My station is an nbc affiliate & the speech was at 9EST so I didn’t miss any episodes nor did I watch a minute of the speech or the draft. Zero interest in either.

Edited by mod: we really don't need the name-calling.
Leander

Post by Leander »

Said Lewis Friday, despite having seen the PBS film on Baum last week

Was going to run through the alphabet, but Q was the first letter I chose

Have been to Istanbul briefly but not the Everglades

Friday’s game pre-empted by the draft
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

I'm amused by the option for Martin or Lewis. Neither Dean nor Jerry ever occurred to me :lol:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

:( :( :(

It feels good to finally click that box. Let's hope the next 5/5 doesn't take another 14 years...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

:( :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

I think "bids & offers" confused me into clamming, but I would have said "quotes" instead of "quotations" so it's a :( either way.

10:30 pm airings on WTF. Having more than one planned preemption helped prevent KABC from pushing everything back a day, I suspect.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Martin or Lewis was my incorrect guess for the Friday FJ! clue.
As a team they're better known for their slapstick comedy.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Bartleby

Post by Bartleby »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(

Ran the alphabet on Thursday
I would prefer not to.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

:mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :( :mrgreen:
:| :mrgreen: :|

Thu - (derp. I played this on Friday at the usual time, too. Not Thu)

Wed-Fri all pushed back a day
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
davey

Post by davey »

;) :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :oops: ;)

I was not on the writer's FJ wavelength this week...
Said Lewis on Fri - could have been Jerry for all I knew...
Interesting to read that Queen Zizi of Ix was not written as an Oz sequel. Baum added the characters and places to the Oz "universe" after its popularity blew up - extending the franchise, you might say...
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

:| :mrgreen: :|

Easy week except for Friday. Congrats again to TPH for pulling out the perfecto with a clue that's hovering around (and currently just under) the 50% mark. The feat is extra impressive since, as Bamaman pointed out in the game thread, TPH blanked on Baum's name 2 1/2 years ago. Since the big hammer often complains about inability to get information to stick, we might have worried that Baum would be a blank again. Nice going TenPound!

On Monday I thought of Athens first, just as a WAG. But pretty quickly boarded the Byzas ==> Byzantium ==> Istanbul train and reached the intended destination. Subtropical national park led to the Everglades and I couldn't think of anywhere else. Director famous for making a Bible pic was easy enough. I didn't know it was DeMille. But knowing how the writers work, I was pretty confident. Queue was almost instantaneous. Didn't have to start running through the alphabet, which is good. I get panicky in situations like that and the brain shuts down. Thought of Baum for Friday, but didn't recall any of those names from my Oz readings way back when. If I read the book, it was only once--checked out from the library. There were others that we owned and I read a few times. Ended up on Kipling which wasn't a terrible guess. Mrs P decided on Martin, but liked my guess of Kipling better. So I got that goin' for me. Which is nice.

Wouldn't have known whether to guess quotes or quotations for NASDAQ so I kept clam. That's why I get a :| instead of a :( . I may be the only boardie who makes that distinction. The former capital of Japan being an anagram of the current one is an old trivia chestnut that has shown up on J! before. Even without the anagram TOM I still knew which city to guess. Mrs P was all over Lavoisier before the clue was fully read. I think I probably wouldn't have got there, but the name is familiar. I counted it as a clam ( :| ) since I don't think I'd have come up with a wrong guess either.

Never been to Istanbul. Never been to the Everglades or any Florida place in the Eastern time zone. Couldn't have told you what the B in Cecil B DeMille stood for if you gave me a thousand guesses. If I've encountered that trivium before, I have zero recollection and my mind is treating it as completely new information. I knew Tolkien and Lewis were out for Friday. I'm way too familiar with their works to make that mistake. George R. R. Martin, whom I know only through secondhand reports, mostly of the HBO series, was a more attractive possibility. But the names didn't seem very GoT-y. I liked Kipling better. (Pause for naughty penguin jokes.) No preemptions here in my part of flyover country where Jeopardy! airs at 2 p.m. so we can all get to bed by 6:45. Those cows aren't going to milk themselves tomorrow morning, you know?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Ran neck and neck with TPH during the week until he pulled ahead in the home stretch to leave me behind at the finish line on Friday when I went with Lewis. Nicely done, TPH!
(Sorry -- Derby weekend.)

Have been in Ankara, Izmir, Adana, Eskiseher, and Karamürsel, but never made it to Istanbul. Or Constantinople. Or Byzantium.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

:( :( :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :(
:( :( :mrgreen:

Is the jboard handle FourPoundHammer available? Congrats to TPH, and thanks for posting the play by play through the week. America loves an underdog. Or whatever ugly-ass animal that avatar is :lol:.

I almost blew the queue question trying to put extended a's and e's after the consonants. DeMille was the only instaget and reminder of how much I detest Charlton Heston.
Even if I linked Byzas to Byzantium, I didn't know the city of Byzantium still existed, thinking it was like Carthage or so many other long gone ancient cities. I maybe come up with Everglades if you remove subtropical and biosphere. I guessed Swift for the fictional lands.

Been to the Everglades and took an airboat ride. Don't want to go to the country of Armenian genocide denial. Blount fills a knowledge gap I could have left closed - thanks for nothing Mark :evil:
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Happy to join the fiver club this week and surprised that so few (45% as of now) are checking the Friday box. To me, it was as simple as "'Ix' looks like 'Oz', done".
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:59 am Happy to join the fiver club this week and surprised that so few (45% as of now) are checking the Friday box. To me, it was as simple as "'Ix' looks like 'Oz', done".
I latched on to Noland and imagined a connection to Nowhere -> Erewhon and went Samuel Butler. Was concerned that Ix could have something to do with the number 9... Ice Nine = Cat's Cradle = Vonnegut? "Ix looks like Oz" didn't even occur to me.