Friday, May 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeff6286
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 21, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by jeff6286 »

econgator wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm Lear and the daughters is the extent of my Shakespeare knowledge I had at the ready for that work.
That's my extent, too. Maybe one of these day 1809 will click for me. I just guessed 'Regan' to say something.
Not to go all TPH on you but I think guessing an American author would be a better approach!
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

jeff6286 wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:58 pm
econgator wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 7:29 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm Lear and the daughters is the extent of my Shakespeare knowledge I had at the ready for that work.
That's my extent, too. Maybe one of these day 1809 will click for me. I just guessed 'Regan' to say something.
Not to go all TPH on you but I think guessing an American author would be a better approach!
Yeah, I was so busy trying to think of who was in King Lear, I forgot all about the category. Once the music ended and I realized I should have done what you said, I likely would have went with JF Cooper.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 2/4 on big clues. Definitely would have gotten South Korea with more time but I wasn't fast enough. Wrote down Emerson for FJ.

Missed deutero with deuteronomy because I forgot the category and didn't read the clue correctly. I knew what the perforating machine was for but I couldn't think of the word. The word knurling came to mind but that's not correct. Missed foxhole with trench.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are the Tenderloin, eyebrows/supercilia/supercilious, The Love Boat, Jennifer Hudson, Eurydice, tachycardia, and trichinosis.
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm I did 1809 and added 30 years to get a time frame.
That's what I did. Figured him having three names would increase the chances of it being right.
DBear wrote: Wed May 19, 2021 8:32 pm Don't understand Ryan's bet there. :?
DBear wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 8:32 pm Welp, I was wrong. Ryan's 11600 made it after all. :|
I had a similar initial reaction as you. He posted his rationale on Reddit and it made sense. He looked at qualifying scores on The Jeopardy! Fan before the tournament and saw that for the score range he was in the chance of qualifying as a wild card is notably higher for second place players compared to third place players. He bet to lock out another potential wildcard challenger.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

That FJ was a severe anticlimax. All the two leaders had to do was stand Pat and they both were in the semi-finals. There was really no reason for the man in the middle to do anything. And then he botched it with a British author.

She did so well at mythology I'm surprised she never returned to it.

I didn't remember a single one of the contestants from the regular season. Except the Wednesday winner a little.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
davey

Post by davey »

I tend to mix up Edmund (the bastard villainous son) with Edgar (the virtuous one, as Buzzy put it), so I'm happy the clue didn't require telling them apart. Yes, knowing King Lear made this FJ easy...But I'm not surprised people got it from the birth date.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I saw 1809 and Pavlov'd to Abraham Lincoln :oops: . I'm sure his parents had "Shakespeare in the log cabin" night. And Abraham sounds downright Shakespearian. If I'd RTFC, I think I'd have gotten to Poe because I don't have a lot of American Authors in the rolodex.

Because nobody asked, here's my pipeline to remembering Washington (1732) and Lincoln (1809) birthyear.
Spoiler
Numismatics. If you collected coins when it was still a viable hobby,
Spoiler
as late as 1970 we could still get Indian head pennies, Mercury dimes, and buffalo nickels in circulation. Once the silver hoarders got involved, it was game over for this semi-educational pastime.
you know 1909 is the first year of the Lincoln penny, and in 1959 the wheatback was replaced with the Lincoln Memorial. The Washington quarter came out in 1932, but that is not as helpful since it is just remembering a different year, and quarters were expensive to collect :(.
I thought this was the best game of the set, and the future host of the show is going have to measure up to Buzzy, not Alex. It will be hard to do.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
nserven
At the Clam Shack

Post by nserven »

threearruda wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 9:11 pm Best I could muster was J.F. Cooper for FJ. :( At least I went 6/6 on DDs to close the week.

Ryan B. and Ryan H. will also be separated. I also like to think the show would not pair Jennifer and Jason based on regular season numbers. What complicates things is that Sam is W2, and I'm not sure it's possible to separate him from W1 and W3 while keeping the women separated and preventing name issues/QF rematches. Not sure what the matchup selectors have historically prioritized here.
I said Cooper too, wondering if the name in question might be the somewhat noblish-sounding Fennimore.

I wonder if there is an argument for having the Ryans face off in the semis, thereby guaranteeing the same-name thing not be an issue during the high-stakes final.
yclept

Post by yclept »

Ryan and Nibir go low on their FJ wagers and it works for them as they squeak by. Nibir missed his final, so if he goes big, MacKenzie’s $0 wager would have worked out for her and we would have a semifinals with a 19-day champ and three 8-game winners. I know what historical numbers show, etc...but the reality will always be that the WC spots are very hard to wager for, unless you are in the position Sam and Veronica found themselves in or in a spot where an all-in is the only thing you can do. The middle-of-the-road numbers is where it gets really tough.

It should be a good week of games. As for Buzzy, I know the Sony suits will lean big name. My personal opinion is that Buzzy has raised the bar incredibly high. I would still love to see him in a normal game environment...
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri May 21, 2021 1:50 pm [solving the FJ clue is] tough to do when you don't even remember the category.
The FJ! clue had me stumped. Booth (any of them) were not going to be under AMERICAN AUTHORS.
Describes me perfectly -- I got sidetracked by Shakespeare performers with possibly Shakespearian names, spaced out authors, and landed on Junius Booth. Maybe Booth wrote something besides presidential death threats? Thank goodness yesterday's family crest FJ saved me from the walk of shame this week.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Buzzy had a shot to try out his accents with the Bogey clue, but he passed. Shame.

Spoiler, just in case you watched Friday, but not Thursday yet:
Spoiler
Interesting that Edgar also appeared in SAME FIRST NAME on Thursday, albeit with 2 different Edgars.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 pm Buzzy had a shot to try out his accents with the Bogey clue, but he passed. Shame.
That's the first time in the guest host era that I've explicitly wished for Alex's clue delivery.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

seaborgium wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:36 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:12 pm Buzzy had a shot to try out his accents with the Bogey clue, but he passed. Shame.
That's the first time in the guest host era that I've explicitly wished for Alex's clue delivery.
Have any of the guest hosts dropped a "No harm, no foul" yet?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:39 pm
My instincts tell me, no, as I think I would have archived that and remembered doing it.

There has been more than one "genre" to go with "Bogey" and Robert Burns. Dracula has not come up yet for guest hosts.

Those should be the top 5 Alex things during clues to go with "Good for you" at chats? Anything else more iconic? "Thank you, Johnny" is more of a standard thing. I consider, "Ooh, sorry" more in the parody column.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

MarkBarrett wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 6:47 pm
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 5:39 pm
My instincts tell me, no, as I think I would have archived that and remembered doing it.

There has been more than one "genre" to go with "Bogey" and Robert Burns. Dracula has not come up yet for guest hosts.

Those should be the top 5 Alex things during clues to go with "Good for you" at chats? Anything else more iconic? "Thank you, Johnny" is more of a standard thing. I consider, "Ooh, sorry" more in the parody column.
There was also a "Now's the time for. . . " at some point.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

I can never remember if Edgar is the good one or the bad one. Turns out Edmund is the bad one.

What the Dickens! You kind of want a host who can gently scold a player for forgetting the category in Final. Buzzy was not up to the task ;)
rockyboy34
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by rockyboy34 »

...that easily could’ve been a triple stumper.
It's the end of the journey that counts.