Wednesday, June 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Wednesday, June 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Wednesday, June 2, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
NEWSPAPER NAMES

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Used as a newspaper name from New York to San Diego, it was an ancient Roman official who represented the people’s interests

Robin Lozano: 13000-9001=3999
John Alba Cutler: 11000+8700=19700 (New Champ)
Lydia Glaw: 2800+1241=4041

Correct response:
Spoiler
Tribune (Robin - Senator)

Daily Doubles
John: 2600-2000
Robin: 9800+2000
John: 9600+3000

Coryats
Robin: 13000
John: 10800
Lydia: 2800

Combined: 26,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Robin: 7000
John: 4400
Lydia: minus 800
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Did Mayim have some happy juice before the game? She seemed a little too giddy and amused by too many of the clues today.

Robin maintained her narrow lead on DJ! 29 to go up by 2000. Naturally, the last clue was a victim to time's up to make sure there was no possibility of a 13000-13000-2800 for the FJ! round. Lydia did manage to eke out the second-place money, but that would have been wild if she had stolen the game.

John solved the FJ! clue to make sure the guy would prevail once again in a M-F-F match.

The FJ! clue had me expecting domestic and pick a different French one after one that was correct not too long ago.

The FJ! clue had me guess correctly as both the newspaper name cities matched with the Roman name that came to me quickly. The repeat was there for Robin when too bad for her she was the odd person out on responses.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I should have focused harder on brainstorming newspaper names. The Minneapolis Star-Tribune was right there. (Although even if I'd come up with the word, I still might not have guessed it.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Sorry, Myron, that this one didn't come to you in time. For me, it was instaget.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Regarding this clue: This Nirvana song shares its name with an element used in medications for bipolar disorder

I got this clue right because, even before MP3 players, I had a copy of the song on my TI graphing calculator. Somebody had written a program for the calculator that allowed it to play a reasonable facsimile of music when you plugged headphones into the data transfer port. The song took up almost the whole memory of the calculator and the lyrics were barely decipherable.
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

This game is a draw for the Intermediate Form of Shore's Conjecture. The second-place player bet "big." --Bob
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Instaget. Had it before she said the word "Diego".
Leander

Post by Leander »

Pre-empted on WABC in NY tonight due to a mayoral primary debate.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I was thinking about Gertrude Stein right before the show because I was watching one of Matt Jackson's episodes on Netflix, that was one of the answers, and my mind went on a tangent.

Of course, I missed that DD.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

runs: Bible, Euro History
DDs: :D :( :D
trash: Alexander, Czechoslovakia DD, Ember, Benazir Bhutto (4200)
FJ: What is Tribune? :mrgreen: John had better get that, being from Chicagoland.
Shoulda picked up the Shakespeare trash but got distracted by Henry James & clammed. :|
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 4:09 pm Regarding this clue: This Nirvana song shares its name with an element used in medications for bipolar disorder

I got this clue right because, even before MP3 players, I had a copy of the song on my TI graphing calculator. Somebody had written a program for the calculator that allowed it to play a reasonable facsimile of music when you plugged headphones into the data transfer port. The song took up almost the whole memory of the calculator and the lyrics were barely decipherable.
O.M.G.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

DBear wrote:FJ: What is Tribune? :mrgreen: John had better get that, being from Chicagoland.
Maybe this is why Mayim didn't mention the Chicago Tribune at the end. Didn't want to help the audience get any ideas that John had an unfair advantage?
I delivered the South Bend Tribune in my youth but I didn't get this until after time was up.

I felt THE BIBLE $600 was more a Ripley's Believe It Or Not clue than an essential Bible knowledge clue. Basically a toss up between adultery and murder, and I'm not sure how many translations have (commit) murder instead of Shalt Not Kill.

John's wager wouldn't have even covered a shortagey wager by Robin if she wanted to risk betting 7399. Anything between 5399 and 9400 from him had more disadvantages than advantages.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

44R. 4/4 on big clues. Was able to get Czechoslovakia because Austria-Hungary came up last week and I just picked the other one.

Didn't have any songs on my calculator but I did beat Block Dude. No problem getting Lithium from the Nirvana angle or the medication angle. I read somewhere that different isotopes of Lithium have a clinically significant impact on patients. That always stuck with me because it has profound implications for determinism.

I didn't figure out the secret of the I'D LIKE TO BUY category until after it was finished. That would have helped me a lot. I missed with spade instead of trowel.

I liked the DESCRIBING THE FILM TRILOGY category that was fun. Didn't get Back to the Future.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are towel (terry cloth), magnolia, Ashcan School (Robert Henri/The Eight), glissando, and Dominicans.

I have this page bookmarked and almost every game there is a clue from the list that I miss: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_musical_symbols. I'll read it thoroughly this weekend.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 pm Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are towel (terry cloth)...
That one might not be pinned strongly enough. I associate 'terry cloth' more with robes at least (and is what I negged with). Google shopping also hits clothing and straight fabric (e.g., JoAnn's) more than bath towels when searching terrycloth.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

Frustrating miss. I kept flipping through all the newspaper-y words in my brain but every one I landed on just didn't seem to fit.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I went with "Sentinel" and didn't give it any more thought. I didn't consider San Diego as an example or I would have probably come up with Tribune. Then I would have worried about whether to go with Sentinel as it sounds more benevolent. I'm in a real slump with only 1 FJ right since Buzzy started.

Mayim is doing good, but I am not envisioning her as a career game show host. She is chewing up the scenery a little more than any of the previous hosts I think. She still seems out of her element so far. I'm sure she will seem more natural to me after the break-in period.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Volante wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:54 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:47 pm Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are towel (terry cloth)...
That one might not be pinned strongly enough. I associate 'terry cloth' more with robes at least (and is what I negged with). Google shopping also hits clothing and straight fabric (e.g., JoAnn's) more than bath towels when searching terrycloth.
Unless Ikea sells Flodalen robes, the clue was plenty pinned. ("Pinning" refers to limiting a clue to one correct response, not to hints.)