Reretaken Down

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Re: Reretaken Down

Post by Robert K S »

After further research, it's really not clear in the canon whether she used "Amidala" as princess or not. She used "Amidala" while campaigning for Queen. If her family's anonymity was her goal, it wouldn't have made sense for her to be a public official under her birth surname.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 pm After further research, it's really not clear in the canon whether she used "Amidala" as princess or not. She used "Amidala" while campaigning for Queen. If her family's anonymity was her goal, it wouldn't have made sense for her to be a public official under her birth surname.
Anybody know how we can write a letter to George Lucas to clarify this?
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

Not watching the game (yet) and only checking the score, I saw it was 3-1, so looked at the box score to see how the runs were scored.

Goldy hit another HR at Dodger Stadium. That guy loves that ballpark.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am This thread quickly veered into being my favorite on JBoard.

Accepting whatever the source of "Princess of Theed" is as canon, if she only took the regnal name "Amidala" upon being elected Queen of Naboo, she was never "Princess Amidala". (She was born Padmé Naberrie.)
If she's elected, is it even a regnal name?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Why wouldn't it be?
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

econgator wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 10:29 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 11:11 am This thread quickly veered into being my favorite on JBoard.

Accepting whatever the source of "Princess of Theed" is as canon, if she only took the regnal name "Amidala" upon being elected Queen of Naboo, she was never "Princess Amidala". (She was born Padmé Naberrie.)
If she's elected, is it even a regnal name?
Popes are elected and they have regnal names.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:49 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:25 pm After further research, it's really not clear in the canon whether she used "Amidala" as princess or not. She used "Amidala" while campaigning for Queen. If her family's anonymity was her goal, it wouldn't have made sense for her to be a public official under her birth surname.
I think several board members know how to write a letter. Once you have pen, paper, envelope, stamp, and Lucas's address, they'd be happy to provide instructions. ;)
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

AFRET CMS wrote: Thu Jun 03, 2021 8:20 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 8:49 pm
I think several board members know how to write a letter. Once you have pen, paper, envelope, stamp, and Lucas's address, they'd be happy to provide instructions. ;)
What's a stamp?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Volante

Post by Volante »

Been getting commericals for the Avengers Campus...and I find the last frame just hilarious. (Should be keyed up if you play, then hit pause quick...the preview shot is close, but the frame I'm after actually comes a little after that, at the 25s mark)

Spoiler
Dr Strange, Captain Marvel, Black Widow? All cut off at the neck. Only supers you can't see the face of get fully in frame. Gets me every time
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 pm hilarious
It's the same with the toys, frequently--all the characters who have masks wear them (even Starlord, who rarely wears his mask in the movies) and the others sometimes don't look anything like their movie counterparts. They don't want to have to pay a royalty and/or didn't want to have to hire the big-$$$ talent for their little commercial and/or didn't want to give guests the misimpression that they'd be hanging out with Scarlett and Benedict.

That big expensive Avengers video game flopped (by all accounts it was the biggest flop in the history of video games) and I think 99% of the reason is that they didn't invest in getting the name talent aboard. Who wants to play a game with unattractive dollar-store versions of Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo?
Volante

Post by Volante »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jun 08, 2021 12:26 pm
Volante wrote: Mon Jun 07, 2021 10:35 pm hilarious
It's the same with the toys, frequently--all the characters who have masks wear them (even Starlord, who rarely wears his mask in the movies) and the others sometimes don't look anything like their movie counterparts. They don't want to have to pay a royalty and/or didn't want to have to hire the big-$$$ talent for their little commercial and/or didn't want to give guests the misimpression that they'd be hanging out with Scarlett and Benedict.

That big expensive Avengers video game flopped (by all accounts it was the biggest flop in the history of video games) and I think 99% of the reason is that they didn't invest in getting the name talent aboard. Who wants to play a game with unattractive dollar-store versions of Chris Evans and Chris Hemsworth and Mark Ruffalo?
Oh, no...it didn't flop because of likenesses. It flopped because it was awful. "Anthem, but worse" is how I've been seeing it described. A counterpoint, Spider-Man on PS4 was a veritable smash and in game Parker looked nothing like Holland. (This was later changed for the PS5 version...)
cheezguyty

Post by cheezguyty »

Here is a simple recipe for grilled peaches on the cooking website Food52. These are the only ingredients:
  • peaches
  • butter
  • brown sugar
  • honey
What else do these items have in common?

Hint:
Spoiler
This particular fact became true for half of the items within the last three months.
Answer:
Spoiler
Each of those ingredients is also the title of a Billboard #1 song:
  • "Peaches" by Justin Bieber (2021)
  • "Butter" by BTS (2021)
  • "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones (1971)
  • "Honey" by Mariah Carey (1997) or Bobby Goldsboro (1968)
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

cheezguyty wrote: Wed Jun 09, 2021 1:55 am Here is a simple recipe for grilled peaches on the cooking website Food52. These are the only ingredients:
  • peaches
  • butter
  • brown sugar
  • honey
What else do these items have in common?

Hint:
Spoiler
This particular fact became true for half of the items within the last three months.
Answer:
Spoiler
Each of those ingredients is also the title of a Billboard #1 song:
  • "Peaches" by Justin Bieber (2021)
  • "Butter" by BTS (2021)
  • "Brown Sugar" by the Rolling Stones (1971)
  • "Honey" by Mariah Carey (1997) or Bobby Goldsboro (1968)
That is really good. I may just have to steal that.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Do we have a 2032 Current Events thread yet? Brisbane (Australia, not California) may be next month named the host for the Summer Olympics eleven years from now.
Volante

Post by Volante »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:55 pm Do we have a 2032 Current Events thread yet? Brisbane (Australia, not California) may be next month named the host for the Summer Olympics eleven years from now.
Assuming there's still an Olympics. And/or an Australia. And/or a 2032.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Volante wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:22 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:55 pm Do we have a 2032 Current Events thread yet? Brisbane (Australia, not California) may be next month named the host for the Summer Olympics eleven years from now.
Assuming there's still an Olympics. And/or an Australia. And/or a 2032.
... in order of unlikeliness.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

The 6/16 ep. of Press Your Luck: [so many of the board smilies are appropriate]

What happened:
Spoiler
Dude has a bunch of spins and $2000. He passes ten spins to lady who already has 3 whammies and she works the mandatory spins off one by one building up her cash and prizes. She then passes the spins she earned with money + spin back to the guy.

He gets a whammy and has $0. He then asks if he wins if she gets a whammy. The answer is yes. He passes the remaining spins to her. She gets the 4th whammy which automatically ends her game and clears the large amount she had accumulated.

Guy wins with $0 but gets to go to solo bonus rounds. He builds up cash and prizes and gets a whammy to wipe it all out. He still gets to play last round and builds up cash & prizes over $130K. He has one spin left he has to take. Whammy! $0 and the show plays Daniel Powter's "Bad Day". He leaves with nothing.

Karma, poetic justice, rotten luck, revenge, just desserts... It was fine to watch with a lead foot on the forward button accelerator.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

This coincidence only happens to me.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 12.17.19 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-22 at 12.17.19 AM.png (545.57 KiB) Viewed 1444 times
Douglas Squasoni