Thursday, July 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion [SPOILERS]

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

bpmod
Rank

Re: Thursday, July 12, 2012 Game Recap & Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by bpmod »

Fishercat wrote:Laura's my current favorite person. She was awesome. I want to hang out with her. That is all.
I hear you.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

If I had 50 cents for every math question I got right, I'd have $6.30 by now.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

xxaaaxx wrote:Speaking of clues, am I losing it, or did one of those Thai clues mention mouse droppings?
Yes, the description of what the Thai chili peppers looked like.

I'm going to be doing the walk of shame on the poll this week ... got no farther than Russian.
marpocky
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by marpocky »

Anybody else think Tracy Morgan shouldn't have been accepted for Tracy Jordan? Only one of them is an actor on TGS and had the relevant novelty hit.

Languages, especially official ones, are a wheelhouse for me, so I had FJ before Alex even finished the clue. Great game to watch, and Laura was a lot of fun.
legendneverdies

Post by legendneverdies »

The Tell-tale heart was a little prophetic given Alex's small myocardial infraction about 19 days ago.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Abel Wingnut wrote:Was anyone else peeved that 'parallels' was the answer to 'Side by side' in the first round? Parallel lines, by definition, are are never side by side. That's the whole point!
Pretty sure that *is* the definition of parallel.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ya know, it was funny how at the end, he seemed to be pulling for her despite the dissing. She did a pretty good of accelerating the pace after the TDD, but it was a little late by then. Plus I have to say it -- while the TDD was gutsy, leave yourself $100 to play FJ when there are that few clues left. What the heck.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

legendneverdies wrote:The Tell-tale heart was a little prophetic given Alex's small myocardial infraction about 19 days ago.
"infarction"
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
legendneverdies wrote:The Tell-tale heart was a little prophetic given Alex's small myocardial infraction about 19 days ago.
"infarction"
No. I'm pretty sure he broke some rule.

Brian
...but the senator, while insisting he was not intoxicated, could not explain his nudity.

bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

econgator wrote:
Abel Wingnut wrote:Was anyone else peeved that 'parallels' was the answer to 'Side by side' in the first round? Parallel lines, by definition, are are never side by side. That's the whole point!
Abel Wingnut? Where'd that post come from (or go to, as the case may be)?

Brian

Abel Wingnut
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by Abel Wingnut »

econgator wrote:
Parallel lines never touch. They can never be side by side, adjacent, abutting, etc.

I guess your definition of side-by-side and mine aren't the same. What would side-by-side lines look like?
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

marpocky wrote:Anybody else think Tracy Morgan shouldn't have been accepted for Tracy Jordan? Only one of them is an actor on TGS and had the relevant novelty hit.
I do.

Also, on "palomino," when Alex said, "yeah we'll accept that," what did they want?
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

Woppy T wrote:Also, on "palomino," when Alex said, "yeah we'll accept that," what did they want?
That's the question I was going to ask.

Brian

Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

legendneverdies wrote:
miggydub wrote:Great game!

But sorry, Alex, Guns n Roses is NOT a good guess for 38 Special!
I think they mentioned SOuthern in the clue and the category was 30s Rock. Other than that....
So G n f'n R ;) fits no part of the clue/category. (Unless you count southern California as "southern").
goforthetie
(username no longer operative)

Post by goforthetie »

econgator wrote:
Not really. Two parallel lines could be miles apart - you wouldn't call them side by side. And there aren't many things that you would call parallel if they were placed side by side. Chopsticks, maybe, but not, say, plates. So it's not a particularly good definition.

I said pairwise, for the record, which isn't perfect either but has about as much going for it.
ErinMo
Just Starting Out on JBoard

Post by ErinMo »

Unfortunately, I talked over the interview and missed what made Alex crack up, can anyone fill me in on what was said?
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I'm guessing it's going to be on YouTube soon enough. The woman was talking about the demise of her pet goat from eating a bag of Sakrete. Someone in the audience started to laugh, she started to berate them, and then Alex started talking about the size of the bag, at which point he lost it.
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

ErinMo wrote:Unfortunately, I talked over the interview and missed what made Alex crack up, can anyone fill me in on what was said?
That'll learn you to never talk over the interview. This one was probably the funniest (or very close to it) segment I have ever seen.

Laura was describing her pygmy goat (named Billy) and how it liked to eat anything and everything. Ultimately, that enjoyment caused Billy's undoing as he ate a sack of Quikrete. Alex asked if the sack was 60 or 80 pounds and Laura replied with "Alex, that is very insensitive" (or something to that effect).

Brian

ETA: I see Andy beat me to it. I guess that's one of the drawbacks of being verbose. (And I guess it was sackrete, not quikrete.)

zakharov

Post by zakharov »

The money line was "Alex, you're being insensitive!"
4-time pool swimmer - last audition June 2019
Follow me on Twitter @JakeMHS
davey

Post by davey »

bpmod wrote:
Woppy T wrote:Also, on "palomino," when Alex said, "yeah we'll accept that," what did they want?
That's the question I was going to ask.

Brian
It sounded like Laura said Palomina to me...She was pretty great - it's not every day we get a contestant with crack comic timing. She should have come up with Tina Fay faster!
alietr wrote:
I'm going to be doing the walk of shame on the poll this week ... got no farther than Russian.
You and me, pal...From last night and tonight, it's clear I no longer have math skills...and I can't get together a simple list featuring one of the most spoken languages on Earth...!
bpmod
Rank

Post by bpmod »

davey wrote:It sounded like Laura said Palomina to me...She was pretty great - it's not every day we get a contestant with crack comic timing. She should have come up with Tina Fay faster!
Oh. I thought I heard Palomino, but I could have been mistaken.

But on the other hand, I'm pretty sure I heard 'Tina Fey'.

Brian