Will you watch the Mike Richards episodes?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Will you watch the week of September 13?

Poll ended at Mon Sep 13, 2021 1:51 pm

Of course. It’s Jeopardy!
88%
Will try to see if I can stand him
11%
Not a chance
1%
Only if they edit in a different host
No votes

Total votes: 95

bigblue999
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Will you watch the Mike Richards episodes?

Post by bigblue999 »

brucejoel199 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:56 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:26 pm
earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm Who Wants to be a Millionaire? ... paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" ... But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money
No guarantee you will win money on Jeopardy! either
Are contestants not at least guaranteed the $1K 3rd-place consolation prize, provided they don’t violate their NDA?
Well Jeff Kirby was disqualified when he competed the second time and did not get his $1,000 check.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm Who Wants to be a Millionaire? ... paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" ... But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money
Are contestants not at least guaranteed the $1K 3rd-place consolation prize, provided they don’t violate their NDA?
IIRC it's stated that you're not even guaranteed to play, and that was before the current debacle.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

bigblue999 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:59 pm
Well Jeff Kirby was disqualified when he competed the second time and did not get his $1,000 check.
Yes, but he did get a Polaroid Photomax Digital Camera Creative Kit the first time around.
earendel
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by earendel »

triviawayne wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:54 pm
earendel wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 12:30 pm
Xu Donym wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 11:42 am
Bamaman wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:51 am
mikebdoss wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 2:29 am I was implying that the show can (and should) pay for the rooms and travel expenses themselves for all inconvenienced contestants. Honestly, the show should pay for every contestant's hotel and travel.
Apologies for misunderstanding. I was just thinking of a way they could put people up without Sony having to pay for it. A hotel would be simple as everyone is at the same place. Airfare would be trickier.
We've all heard that the Sony/Jeopardy! bigwigs want to widen the contestant pool. Well, they would greatly widen the contestant pool if Sony were to announce widely not just "We're making J! auditions widely available" but also "If you're called, we'll pay for your coach airfare and put you in a three-star hotel room, and provide free transport to and from each taping."

The added cost of taking care of contestant travel would almost certainly be less each year than the difference between Alex Trebek's annual salary and whatever his replacement(s) may now be making.
The original Who Wants to be a Millionaire? did that - they paid travel expenses, hotel costs, and provided some "walking around money" for their contestants. But that was because there was no guarantee that anyone would win money - indeed it was likely that of the ten hopefuls only two or three would make it to the hot seat.
Didn't WWTBAM call people to be on the show and have them taping the same week? Plus WWTBAM was a network prime time show with a bigger budget.
Originally yes, but when I was on, there was about a two-week delay between getting the call and flying to NYC.
"Elen sila lumenn omentielvo...A star shines on the hour of our meeting."
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Surprising given some of the media speculation:

And the NYT article: https://www.nytimes.com/2021/08/25/busi ... ducer.html
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

brucejoel199 wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 1:56 pm Are contestants not at least guaranteed the $1K 3rd-place consolation prize, provided they don’t violate their NDA?
As squarekara noted above, no. Notably, the folks called to play last Friday got sent home with no play, and thus, no prize money, when taping was canceled last-minute due to the resignation of Mike Richards as host. Maybe the show accommodated some of the Friday contestants if they were able to stick around for Monday. Maybe Monday was already booked with different contestants. I don't know. But there is never guaranteed play, thus, there is never guaranteed consolation prize money.

The paperwork you receive expressly states that even if you show up to the studio, there is no guarantee that you will be called up to appear on the show.

Getting sent home with nothing to show for it but an airfare bill on my credit card statement almost happened to me. If eventual ToC winner Vijay Balse hadn't been beaten in his fifth game by Cyd Musni, whom I subsequently defeated, but instead had gone on to keep winning and winning, I would not have gotten to play, because Vijay identified me to the contestant coordinators as someone he knew (although I didn't know him because he used an anonymous handle). As a result, I was held over one tape day without being called to play (they called one of the local alternates instead), and I was invited to come back the next day. If Vijay hadn't been beaten on that second tape day, the next tape day would have been who-knows-when later (one week, two?) and I would've had to have paid for a second airfare, if I got another call at all.

Famously, there was one would-have-been contestant who was disqualified from playing against Ken Jennings and was sent home after having gotten the call and after having arrived at the studio for taping. He never got another call subsequently.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

I got sent home without playing on syndicated WWTBAM when they ran out of time for the day's taping. They gave me $1,000 for my troubles right then and there. I did not get a callback, but when I re-applied two years later, I did point that out in the hopes I could get some sympathy. That was when I did get The Call.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:07 pm Famously, there was one would-have-been contestant who was disqualified from playing against Ken Jennings and was sent home after having gotten the call and after having arrived at the studio for taping. He never got another call subsequently.
Ken actually named two such people in Brainiac. Nick Meyer was the other one.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

seaborgium wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm
Robert K S wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 5:07 pm Famously, there was one would-have-been contestant who was disqualified from playing against Ken Jennings and was sent home after having gotten the call and after having arrived at the studio for taping. He never got another call subsequently.
Who was the first one, whose name I don't have handy? And what were their stories? The one I was thinking of had known Ken from quiz bowl, or something.
mujason

Post by mujason »

Ken knew Matt Bruce through quiz bowl.
-Jason
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 12:09 pm
seaborgium wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:58 pm
Who was the first one, whose name I don't have handy? And what were their stories? The one I was thinking of had known Ken from quiz bowl, or something.
I assumed you were deliberately not mentioning his name, and followed suit. But yes, mujason has it with Matt Bruce.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

So what was Nick Meyer's deal, then?
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Same deal, basically. I can't immediately find my (or more accurately, my dad's) copy of the book to say exactly, and the Google Books result for him and the book leads to a later mention of him that doesn't spell anything out.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Aug 26, 2021 8:30 pm So what was Nick Meyer's deal, then?
They knew each other from quiz bowl. Nick is the one who predicts that Ken's appearances will be a big enough deal to get him on Letterman.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

davey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:39 am But what do you mean by "other advertisers"? If J! gets free rooms for a "promotional announcement," how are other advertisers affected?
Existing advertisers may not appreciate that a hotel chain is getting the equivalent of a couple hundred thousand dollars in advertising for almost nothing (giving away rooms is effectively free for large hotels). Those other advertisers may want reduced rates as well.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mikebdoss wrote: Sat Aug 28, 2021 3:20 am
davey wrote: Wed Aug 25, 2021 6:39 am But what do you mean by "other advertisers"? If J! gets free rooms for a "promotional announcement," how are other advertisers affected?
Existing advertisers may not appreciate that a hotel chain is getting the equivalent of a couple hundred thousand dollars in advertising for almost nothing (giving away rooms is effectively free for large hotels). Those other advertisers may want reduced rates as well.
Couldn't that be fixed by charging what the market will bear for the advertising? If they can get a couple hundred thousand dollars for providing rooms for contestants, why not do it? If the best offer they get from a hotel chain is, we won't pay but we'll comp the rooms, that's still a win. How could other advertisers complain?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Anachronism wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:20 pm ...
Since I've cut the cord and have no interest in getting 500 channels I'll never watch, the options are either to spend about $1,000 for a rooftop antenna that our neighborhood (and really, us as well) would hate or something specific with streaming. For now, it's Locast, but the legality of the service is in question and the courts could shut it down soon.

We're at a point in television history where there is and will be enormous change, even from year to year. Since most kids simply don't watch television (youtube, tiktok, whatever the vapid alternative-du-jour may be), the whole model may soon change.
Kaput! There goes that early J! airing out of Houston.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 7:22 pm
Anachronism wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 3:20 pm ...
Since I've cut the cord and have no interest in getting 500 channels I'll never watch, the options are either to spend about $1,000 for a rooftop antenna that our neighborhood (and really, us as well) would hate or something specific with streaming. For now, it's Locast, but the legality of the service is in question and the courts could shut it down soon.

We're at a point in television history where there is and will be enormous change, even from year to year. Since most kids simply don't watch television (youtube, tiktok, whatever the vapid alternative-du-jour may be), the whole model may soon change.
Kaput! There goes that early J! airing out of Houston.
Yep. Locast is no more. And it's not worth paying $50/month just to watch Jeopardy and maybe a football game or two. So, no, I will not be watching the Mike Richards episodes.

Locast claimed three million subscribers. But only $4.7 million in revenue in 2020. Which means (and it's hard to calculate accurately since they added a lot of markets in the last year) it's likely less than 4% were donating the minimum each month.

Not sure what we'll do long-term. I had been planning on taking some code off of Github and crafting a DVR from a computer I'm not using at the moment, but I was waiting for the new season to begin.
brick

Post by brick »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Aug 24, 2021 10:46 am As the old saying goes, everything has been said, but not everybody has said it.
Never heard that one before. I like it quite a lot.
Mario500
Valued Contributor

Post by Mario500 »

(suggests an additional option to this poll ("Yes"))