LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Re: LL Season 90

Post by StevenH »

Golden Girls was the only one that I felt confident on yesterday, but I got lucky with Siam and focus.

On the Siam question I started by approaching it from the organizations angle, but all I could think of was NIST. I then thought to approach it from the former countries angle. Ceylon? Nyasaland? Siam? That last one sounded it like it could be an organization, and I thought to myself that it is probably more likely that I have never heard of this organization than never heard the name of the former country. It felt good to get that one, since I have failed to get gettable questions in the past by not approaching them from all angles.

Focus was my first instinct, but I briefly second guessed myself with epicenter. After rereading the question I decided that "epicenter" did not sound correct for the optics angle, and stuck with my first instinct.

I guessed "hunt" for fish. So close!

I won 4(3)-1(1) and am now the highest ranked person in my rundle who is in the relegation zone, and am tied in points with the person ahead of me but am 3 points behind them in MPD.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 am I found it interesting that 19% went with Cheers for 3 lead actresses, I could see why, but the negbait of Designing Women was my expectation.
I wouldn’t consider Carla to be a lead character.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Took a 6(5)-6(4) tie yesterday. We both assigned Q6 (focus) zero. I got it right, my opponent got it wrong. I also thought of Cheers first, but realized quickly that The Golden Girls made more sense.

I'm somewhat surprised that 10% would think Thorsten would refer to driving as an "outdoor recreational activity." :)
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 10:07 am Took a 6(5)-6(4) tie yesterday. We both assigned Q6 (focus) zero. I got it right, my opponent got it wrong. I also thought of Cheers first, but realized quickly that The Golden Girls made more sense.

I'm somewhat surprised that 10% would think Thorsten would refer to driving as an "outdoor recreational activity." :)
I mean...ATVs, track days, -driving- is recreational. Commuting, on the other hand, is a lower circle of hell punishment...

Realized today my CAA is double digits higher than my TCA. So that couldn't have been helping matters... Maybe LL needs a handicap... :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 6:56 am My two girls being obsessed with Shut Up and Fish paid off.
I still can't believe they weren't going out and playing cornhole.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Type “shut up and” into google and you get dance, dance with me, drive. I’m sure I’ve heard “shut up and drive” as a song lyric. That was enough to swat away the hesitation about outdoor rec activity

Mad at myself for putting “soleil” on the French history question, again, going against my better instinct. I guess I was busy trying to come up with answers to the other questions

Weird day, won 5(3)-3(1). Got SIAM, golden girls, exacta
classicroadster
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by classicroadster »

morbeedo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:18 pm Type “shut up and” into google and you get dance, dance with me, drive. I’m sure I’ve heard “shut up and drive” as a song lyric. That was enough to swat away the hesitation about outdoor rec activity
I believe thats a P!nk lyric...
I got beered on yesterday to set a new record in CAA and TPA with still 2 days to go. Somehow, if I win today I am out of the relegation zone in B Magnolia. Crazy to think about when pretty much every day I have 5+ answers right against me and I've not had a beer and only a few days with 5 right this season. I am on pace to equal or just beat my TCA record.
Volante

Post by Volante »

classicroadster wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 1:50 pm
morbeedo wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 12:18 pm Type “shut up and” into google and you get dance, dance with me, drive. I’m sure I’ve heard “shut up and drive” as a song lyric. That was enough to swat away the hesitation about outdoor rec activity
I believe thats a P!nk lyric...
I got beered on yesterday to set a new record in CAA and TPA with still 2 days to go. ...
Well, 3 days. Today hasn't been added into the totals yet.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Rihanna had a hit a few years back called Shut Up And Drive.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Ironhorse wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 2:12 pm Rihanna had a hit a few years back called Shut Up And Drive.
Ahhh, right
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 am but the negbait of Designing Women was my expectation.
*waves*

Kicked myself after seeing the answer, though.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:11 pm
Lefty wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:47 am
bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 am I was part of the 19% that said "spine" instead of "spinal cord"
I don't know what % said "baby", but I was part of it. Got the others, though, so good day. Cappuccino will get my vote for favorite of the day, if somebody asks.
So was I. Calling where the baby comes out a great hole sounds like a teenage boy kind of thing but I had nothing else.

I suspect one question yesterday was particularly painful to SaakJ.

I finally get into C and I have a TCA that would barely keep me in D. Will be glad when this season is over.
He got it right.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

bluejaylink wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 2:21 am I was part of the 19% that said "spine" instead of "spinal cord"
I really wanted to say "spinal cord", but the clue referenced nerves and I hesitated to take the chance of it being redundant. So I joined the 19%.
triviawayne wrote: Thu Sep 09, 2021 7:36 am I found it interesting that 19% went with Cheers for 3 lead actresses, I could see why, but the negbait of Designing Women was my expectation.
I had "Designing Women" but changed to GG in time. Cheers? Diane, Carla, and Kirstie(?)

I was surprised that "focus" scored so low until I reread the part about earthquakes and understood the 'epicenter' responses. I got the orbital and optical references immediately, which kept me from falling into that trap.
Bamaman wrote: Wed Sep 08, 2021 6:11 pm I finally get into C and I have a TCA that would barely keep me in D. Will be glad when this season is over.
Same here. Although I'm only 20 points down from historical average, it feels like 100 points. The questions have come easier the second half, not as many stand and stares.

Somehow I've won two in a row (7-13-2) and moved to the 16th (and final) retention slot, with the second worst TCA (57). I'm tied with 17th place at 16 points, and 2 points clear of the bottom 3, with a 3 point MPD advantage on 17th place for the tiebreaker. We play each other on MD25 and it will probably be for the last slot. It will be an epic cage match between 16th and 17th :lol: . The "winner" gets to be abused in LL91 :o .
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Woulda, coulda, shoulda had logorithims. Darnit.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 am Woulda, coulda, shoulda had logorithims. Darnit.
One of the courses I teach is College Algebra...and maybe it was because I was answering questions shortly after waking up but I thought and thought about that but could not come up with logarithms; I said Index. Sadly, we spend an entire unit in our course working on logarithmic and exponential functions...so that was a BIG facepalm moment.

I knew flapper right off. The flappers on both toilets in my home have needed to be replaced. I installed a new one on the toilet in the master bedroom but didn't do it right and had to get a plumber in to fix my mistake. (I am NOT a mechanical person). A couple of months ago, after 26 years of faithful service, the flapper in my other toilet finally broke. I haven't attempted to fix it. What I do is flush the toilet, then after the water drains in the tank and I hear the swoosh sound that the water has drained from the bowl, I manually put the little rubber stopper thingy where it should be and wait for the water to fill back up in the storage tank. Most times, the water level doesn't rise high enough to raise the ball enough to stop the water from running, so I raise the ball with my hand and insert a tube of Cremo shaving cream between the metal arm to which the ball is attached and the plastic stanchion, which raises the ball level enough to cause the water to stop running.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Because I couldn't name the Mark Hamill movie, but I could name the other three...I went with "Ford" :x
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Volante

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:33 am Because I couldn't name the Mark Hamill movie, but I could name the other three...I went with "Ford" :x
Ditto. Though it still wouldn't have helped me in the end any...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 am
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 2:13 am Woulda, coulda, shoulda had logorithims. Darnit.
I knew flapper right off. The flappers on both toilets in my home have needed to be replaced. I installed a new one on the toilet in the master bedroom but didn't do it right and had to get a plumber in to fix my mistake. (I am NOT a mechanical person). A couple of months ago, after 26 years of faithful service, the flapper in my other toilet finally broke. I haven't attempted to fix it. What I do is flush the toilet, then after the water drains in the tank and I hear the swoosh sound that the water has drained from the bowl, I manually put the little rubber stopper thingy where it should be and wait for the water to fill back up in the storage tank. Most times, the water level doesn't rise high enough to raise the ball enough to stop the water from running, so I raise the ball with my hand and insert a tube of Cremo shaving cream between the metal arm to which the ball is attached and the plastic stanchion, which raises the ball level enough to cause the water to stop running.
The Romans would be proud of you :lol: . I think this clue is one of my all time favorites. It's a tidbit out of everyday life, that finally gets the respect it deserves.

I'm slightly disappointed that Thorsten didn't offer "Mrs. Moody" as the main acceptable answer. The protocol at Wimbledon was married name only I believe, until they finally got woke. I pulled this from the cobwebs from hearing announcers explain this with her name. I tried to marry her to Bill Tilden until the poetic "Helen Wills Moody" name came to mind.

I'm defying gravity with a 61 TCA to pull off a 3-win streak and am now in 15th (of 16 to retain) in Taiga C. I guess it's as much fun to play survival as it is to get promoted ;) . Just how long can I hide in C?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

SBurrus wrote: Fri Sep 10, 2021 7:24 am
One of the courses I teach is College Algebra...and maybe it was because I was answering questions shortly after waking up but I thought and thought about that but could not come up with logarithms; I said Index. Sadly, we spend an entire unit in our course working on logarithmic and exponential functions...so that was a BIG facepalm moment.

wouldn't it be a whole lot easier to turn off the water valve each time when you're done?

ETA: if it's the bathroom with a bathtub, you could just fill a bucket each time and pour the contents directly into the toilet bowl until it flows through.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

“Amateur plumber” is one of the more terrifying combinations of words I can think of.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.