LL Season 90

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Re: LL Season 90

Post by RandyG »

Woof wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 11:57 am
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Sep 29, 2021 10:53 pm . . .
I was happy to get CCC and money it on the New Deal 1DS, but my 9 correct answers only got me to the 66th percentile.
Better than I. I had 10 right but only for 45th % with almost perfectly suboptimal moneying choices. Go, me!
Ouch! Only 61% of this very self-selected group knew that the federal minimum wage is $7.25. I guess that does explain a lot.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

RandyG wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm
I was happy to get CCC and money it on the New Deal 1DS, but my 9 correct answers only got me to the 66th percentile.
Better than I. I had 10 right but only for 45th % with almost perfectly suboptimal moneying choices. Go, me!
Ouch! Only 61% of this very self-selected group knew that the federal minimum wage is $7.25. I guess that does explain a lot.
Does it? Many (most?) states have a minimum wage over the federal one, so they probably just don't care what the federal one is any more.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and ... chart.aspx

According to this, 29 states and DC have a minimum wage above $7.25.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:53 pm https://www.ncsl.org/research/labor-and ... chart.aspx

According to this, 29 states and DC have a minimum wage above $7.25.
So, 'a majority', but not quite 'most' yet.
ouachiouat
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by ouachiouat »

Getting The White Stripes yesterday in Adaptations was perhaps the absolute luckiest pull I've ever had in LL. I couldn't name a single one of their songs if you asked me, just saw stripes in the picture with the mints and background and thought of them.

My opponent 0ed me, and we tied. Bah. Lucky guess for naught, literally.
RandyG
Founder of the Royal House of JBoardie of the Month

Post by RandyG »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:05 pm
RandyG wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 2:28 pm
Does it? Many (most?) states have a minimum wage over the federal one, so they probably just don't care what the federal one is any more.
Yes, I think it still does explain things, although you're correct about the states. (Didn't know how many states, only that there were many. It's $12.15 here in Arizona.) In my mind I was using the minimum wage as a proxy for a lot of things.

P.S. Thanks for the specifics, Geo.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Strange outcomes for me:
No hitters: 8 right 70th percentile
State legislatures: 6 right 85th percentile
New Deal: 8 right 20th percentile

Had I RTFQ on CCC and written out what it stood for, I finish in 46th percentile. If I money holy mackerel instead of Nebraska I finish in the 92nd percentile.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

econgator wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:05 pm Does it? Many (most?) states have a minimum wage over the federal one, so they probably just don't care what the federal one is any more.
Also, a lot of people are working from home and no longer regularly seeing the labor regulations poster in their office's break room. (If I recall correctly, the one in my office showed both the Federal and California minimum wages... but I haven't been there in over 18 months.)
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

trainman wrote: Sat Oct 02, 2021 9:57 pm
econgator wrote: Thu Sep 30, 2021 6:05 pm Does it? Many (most?) states have a minimum wage over the federal one, so they probably just don't care what the federal one is any more.
Also, a lot of people are working from home and no longer regularly seeing the labor regulations poster in their office's break room. (If I recall correctly, the one in my office showed both the Federal and California minimum wages... but I haven't been there in over 18 months.)
Doesn't matter if I've been there or not, I haven't given those posters a look in years as there's never been any reason to look at them.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

So I log into LL today because I wanted to participate in the Pencil and Paper Math One Day Special...only to find it had been held on Saturday; I guess I never noticed before that some 1DS are held on weekends.

It's a good thing I didn't participate. Although I teach college mathematics, I would have answered NONE of these correctly. Maybe, if I'd really spent time working on them, I could have gotten one or two but that was the hardest slate of Pencil and Paper Math questions yet. Strangely, though, that is my favorite of all the 1DS when they roll around.

This version has inspired me to research the Collatz Conjecture.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:29 pm So I log into LL today because I wanted to participate in the Pencil and Paper Math One Day Special...only to find it had been held on Saturday; I guess I never noticed before that some 1DS are held on weekends.

It's a good thing I didn't participate. Although I teach college mathematics, I would have answered NONE of these correctly. Maybe, if I'd really spent time working on them, I could have gotten one or two but that was the hardest slate of Pencil and Paper Math questions yet. Strangely, though, that is my favorite of all the 1DS when they roll around.

Veritasium had a video on it two months ago:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

My Lord of the Rings 3: The Return of the Quiz 1DS is live until 9 AM PT/noon ET.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

SBurrus wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:29 pm So I log into LL today because I wanted to participate in the Pencil and Paper Math One Day Special...only to find it had been held on Saturday; I guess I never noticed before that some 1DS are held on weekends.

I had never seen the previous editions, but really enjoyed the questions. I still don't know how the problem #1 with the ramps was supposed to be done, and how it came up a simple fraction. I brute forced the 16 tokens problem easily enough, and ground out the Collatz conjecture pretty quickly once I got onto the fact they wanted the fifth iteration and not the fourth (which would be the fifth from the starting point). I had seen Hannah Fry on Numberphile discuss it and knew to avoid perfect powers of two. Once you figure out the fifth iteration should be three triplings and two halvings, you wind up at about 150.

I spent almost an hour doing 6 figure multiplication by hand on the card shuffler. I looked at position 1, and it moved 6 spots and reappeared on the 6th shuffle, so I made a list of all 15 positions and multiplied out their position shift except for duplicates. My eventual answer of 850 billion (something) was off by 849,999,999,940. It turns out the other positions come back to home in either 5, 4, or 3 moves, so it only took 60 shuffles.

I thought I had good shots at a couple others, but wound up only getting two right and still made 30th percentile. This one needs to be on a weekend, because there were some provocative ones.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I ended up 11th out of 1418 in the pencils one-day. I had no idea my pencil knowledge ran so deep!
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 am I ended up 11th out of 1418 in the pencils one-day. I had no idea my pencil knowledge ran so deep!
Nice! I made the mistake of moneying Ticonderoga, which dropped me from 98th to 93rd %ile. I thought it was cute that a Pencils 1DS was smithed by Whittle :mrgreen:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Woof wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:57 pm
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 1:29 am I ended up 11th out of 1418 in the pencils one-day. I had no idea my pencil knowledge ran so deep!
Nice! I made the mistake of moneying Ticonderoga, which dropped me from 98th to 93rd %ile. I thought it was cute that a Pencils 1DS was smithed by Whittle :mrgreen:
That is funny. Didn't notice that. :)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:15 pm
Congrats, amazing. That was a fun one, and quite unexpected. I only got five. I really liked the phrasing on the Ulysses Grant clue. I forgot to put my guess of "erased" in #11. Im sure a lot of us went with "plumbum" and missed "plumbago" .
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 3:15 pm
Congrats, amazing. That was a fun one, and quite unexpected. I only got five. I really liked the phrasing on the Ulysses Grant clue. I forgot to put my guess of "erased" in #11. Im sure a lot of us went with "plumbum" and missed "plumbago" .
Thanks! I love when you look at a random one-day on a whim and it turns out to be enjoyable.
twelvefootboy

Private rundle for LL91 announcement: Re: LL Season 90

Post by twelvefootboy »

I hope everyone is enjoying the off-season. The Museum ML is entertaining, but I don't know much about museums, it seems. The smiths throw us a bone every day, so good job, and well done. I'm not dreading it every day like I have some others.

I will start a recruitment thread for anybody who wants to horse around in a private rundle - ostensibly a Jboard group with some twelvefootfamily members to pull down the curve. I'll try to do some cheerleading, and stimulate fake competition, with handicaps for us bottom feeders :lol:. If someone has a great idea, or a bad one, drop me a PM and we'll try anything to make our own fun. Tanking on defense was kind of fun in LL88(?), and made me feel like a Kansas City Chief :roll: .

From here: the rundle name is : Jboardlite91 / password: alextrebek
Deadline is November 3. You need to have Premier membership level (the $50 level).
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

A rare top 20% finish for me in the Country Pop 1DS on Tuesday, finishing 41st out of 360 participants. I really enjoyed that one...allowing me to take a stroll down memory lane to a simpler time in life when I didn't have many responsibilities.