Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
AMERICAN HISTORY

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
The April 26, 1906 edition of The Call, a newspaper in this city, reported on the heroic death of hoseman James O’Neil

Matt Amodio: 35400+20000=55400 (33x = $1,267,801)
Thomas Dai: 2200-2199=1
Samantha Wells: 5200-500=4700

Correct response:
Spoiler
San Francisco (Thomas – Pittsburgh) (Samantha – Boston)

Daily Doubles
Matt: 0+1000
Matt: 23600+6000
Matt: 30800-5000

Coryats
Matt: 35200
Thomas: 2200
Samantha: 5200

Combined: 42,600

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Matt: 10400
Thomas: 2600
Samantha: 2000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Matt played 13/15 DDs this week including 13 in a row and the miss on today's DD3 was his only one incorrect. It's tough to beat someone owning the wagering clues. Matt was also 5/5 on FJ! clues while his challengers went 3/10.

Mayim gave me the impression that she had host LT on the Ricky Martin clue.

The FJ! clue had me match Matt. Since I am at home playing for fun I know I was finished writing before him since I went with the shortest of the shortcuts.

Matt is on a great run and the amazing part is if he does 33 in a row again, he's still almost 2 weeks worth of games shy of Ken's 74 win.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

Welcome to America's hottest new quiz show, "Do You Know Your Pavlov Years?"

(Is anyone else seeing a grey stripe at the bottom of Mark's post, or is it just me?)

15/15 on the season. Gotta be close to a personal best streak too, although I don't know what that would be for me.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by CasualJeopardyFan19 »

And so, #ChasingKen begins now! Matt's got a long way to go to 74, but it is often said that records are made to be broken!
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

With Emma Boettcher's inclusion opening up the door to exceptions, as well as an early lack of qualifiers, what are the odds that we see Josh Saak in the next Tournament of Champions?
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:56 pm Week 3 is complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7156
Three weeks in and we've caught precisely one glimpse of the Clue Crew, in Tuesday's category at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Remember back when a Clue Crew clue could show up in any given category?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:27 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 2:56 pm Week 3 is complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7156
Three weeks in and we've caught precisely one glimpse of the Clue Crew, in Tuesday's category at the Smithsonian's National Museum of African American History and Culture.

Remember back when a Clue Crew clue could show up in any given category?
Shhh, don't give them any ideas. :)
Ironhorse: Keeping in mind that there are 4 3xers ahead of Josh the odds are not good. As they have proven, the J! powers can do what they like when they want to, making it harder to proclaim absolutes.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:34 pm
Ironhorse: Keeping in mind that there are 4 3xers ahead of Josh the odds are not good. As they have proven, the J! powers can do what they like when they want to, making it harder to proclaim absolutes.
The elephant in the room being that Kelly Donohue is one of those.
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:37 pm
I get that he was involved in some weird controversy and all, but how is he an elephant in the room? Is he off the eligibility list just cause of the backlash or something?
merica
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by merica »

Thought of Triangle Shirtwaist Fire and went with New York. Didn't think that was quite the right year, but the right event did not pop into mind within those 30 seconds.
Creed Bratton
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Creed Bratton »

Once I stopped reading “horseman,” and read “hoseman” instead, it was insta-getty.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Creed Bratton wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 pm Once I stopped reading “horseman,” and read “hoseman” instead, it was insta-getty.
Thanks for pointing that out. I did not notice it said "hoseman". Puzzled it out off the date.

Here's the Wikipedia article on the newspaper.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:28 pm
I get that he was involved in some weird controversy and all, but how is he an elephant in the room? Is he off the eligibility list just cause of the backlash or something?
I'm thinking more than the show may want to avoid drama (I'm of the mind that he probably didn't do what he was accused of doing).
CasualJeopardyFan19
Loyal Jeopardista

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 6:02 pm
CasualJeopardyFan19 wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:28 pm
I'm thinking more than the show may want to avoid drama (I'm of the mind that he probably didn't do what he was accused of doing).
Well darn, that'd really suck if that's the case. If they are going to exclude him from the lineup just cause of fear of backlash I feel bad for the guy :/ .
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

I don't mean to rehash an old subject, but regarding Kelly Donohue, the show is stuck between a rock and a hard place. There will be controversy from liberals if they include him in the ToC and more controversy from the right if they disqualify him (because he was a Trump supporter, apparently).

It's interesting that Matt's epic streak is making the situation worse because he's eliminating potential players who could jump ahead of Donohue. If they have enough players who have won 4 games or more, they can say they didn't invite Donohue because there are too many contestants ranked above him. But if not enough people jump ahead of Donohue before, let's say, 2023, I don't know what they're gonna do about him.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm The FJ! clue had me match Matt. Since I am at home playing for fun I know I was finished writing before him since I went with the shortest of the shortcuts.
I knew there was no chance you'd miss this one!
MinnesotaMyron wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:49 pm (Is anyone else seeing a grey stripe at the bottom of Mark's post, or is it just me?)
I don't see one.

If Matt breaks Ken's streak, by my count it would be on Nov 29. I wonder if that's one of Ken's hosting weeks?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

tddeveryday wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:44 pm I don't mean to rehash an old subject, but regarding Kelly Donohue, the show is stuck between a rock and a hard place. There will be controversy from liberals if they include him in the ToC and more controversy from the right if they disqualify him (because he was a Trump supporter, apparently).

It's interesting that Matt's epic streak is making the situation worse because he's eliminating potential players who could jump ahead of Donohue. If they have enough players who have won 4 games or more, they can say they didn't invite Donohue because there are too many contestants ranked above him. But if not enough people jump ahead of Donohue before, let's say, 2023, I don't know what they're gonna do about him.
Let's go crazy and give Matt 100 wins and not have him done until January. A couple of tournament winners and a TOCer better than 3x and 75K for each month the rest of this season will be enough to fill a TOC field for next season and November 2022 to keep it 4X and above.

Or Matt gets the KJ treatment to be paid off with $250K minimum to participate in a special greats tourney and bypasses a regular TOC. Either way J! does not have to worry about Kelly one way or the other.
Last edited by MarkBarrett on Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.