Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, October 1, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 7:50 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 1:41 pm The FJ! clue had me match Matt. Since I am at home playing for fun I know I was finished writing before him since I went with the shortest of the shortcuts.
I knew there was no chance you'd miss this one!
Yes, 1906 means more here than in other places. I have to capitalize on home court advantage in the FJ! round. A miss would have been even more haunting than the one that still bugs me, It.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 3:11 pm With Emma Boettcher's inclusion opening up the door to exceptions, as well as an early lack of qualifiers, what are the odds that we see Josh Saak in the next Tournament of Champions?
Big difference. No one knew how good Matt will be when he beat Josh. People remember Nancy than whoever Ken beat in first game.
IMO, discusión of potential 3 game winners is way way premature.

Back to game - Is hoseman a common reference? I don't think I saw it before. Year helped.
NHO Boyne. Impressive.

I never thought James' record will be broken so soon. Matt put summer to good use.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
ElendilPickle
ToC Enabler

Post by ElendilPickle »

I glanced at the clue, thought, "Oh, Chicago! That's so easy!"

About halfway through the think music, I looked again and saw the date. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities and I've been there many times. Thankfully, I would have had time to fix my response.

MarkBarrett, what was your shortest of shortcuts?
Golf

Post by Golf »

doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:28 pm Back to game - Is hoseman a common reference? I don't think I saw it before. Year helped.
NHO Boyne. Impressive.
I saw hoseman first and answered Ron Jeremy. Then read the rest of the clue and made the correction.

Probably 20 years ago playing NTN trivia there was a question about a 1690 battle. Didn’t know it then but has stuck with me since. Some stuff sticks forever, other stuff never sticks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

ElendilPickle wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:41 pm I glanced at the clue, thought, "Oh, Chicago! That's so easy!"

About halfway through the think music, I looked again and saw the date. San Francisco is one of my favorite cities and I've been there many times. Thankfully, I would have had time to fix my response.

MarkBarrett, what was your shortest of shortcuts?
Only S.F. went on my page though I guess I could have not bothered with the periods to shorten it even more? Am I setting myself up for some kind of Santa Fe rebuttal? :)
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Instaget San Francisco, then second-guessed myself with Chicago because of the Irish name, then looked back at the date and went back to SF.

Mayim clearly doesn't put in the level of preparation Alex did. He would never have butchered the pronunciation of either Galway or Drogheda, let alone both. Butchering Drogheda is a bit more understandable, except that ten seconds on Google would have given her what she needed.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Golf wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:42 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 8:28 pm Back to game - Is hoseman a common reference? I don't think I saw it before. Year helped.
NHO Boyne. Impressive.
I saw hoseman first and answered Ron Jeremy. Then read the rest of the clue and made the correction.
I see what you did Golf.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

60 R
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Xu Donym
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by Xu Donym »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm IMayim clearly doesn't put in the level of preparation Alex did.
If I understand correctly, today's program was taped on only her second day of taping post-Richards, which occurred sometime during the week of August 23, less than a full week after Richards' one-and-done day/week of taping on August 19. She clearly didn't put in the same level of preparation that Alex did, but I don't think it's fair yet to generalize and say that she doesn't. Give her a few days of taping to settle into a workable routine, when she's able to schedule and plan and study and prepare with some degree of normalcy, and maybe then we can make useful statements about what she does and doesn't do. Right now, I'd say that for someone stepping in quickly during a time of such chaos, she did fine.
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Mayim has made quite a few adjustments from her first go-around and it's evident that she is incorporating feedback and looking to improve. I imagine she isn't playing the same role that Alex did, where Alex was given a copy of the clues ahead of time for review/feedback, as right now she's just trying to get her hosting rhythm down. Overall, I've been impressed by the job she's done this season.
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

MarkBarrett wrote:
econgator wrote: I knew there was no chance you'd miss this one!
Yes, 1906 means more here than in other places. I have to capitalize on home court advantage in the FJ! round.
I've never been west of the Mississippi river and slam dunked it.

Can't believe this was not a triple get. With competition like this, Matt can breeze to 75 wins.
davey

Post by davey »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm Instaget San Francisco, then second-guessed myself with Chicago because of the Irish name, then looked back at the date and went back to SF.

Mayim clearly doesn't put in the level of preparation Alex did. He would never have butchered the pronunciation of either Galway or Drogheda, let alone both. Butchering Drogheda is a bit more understandable, except that ten seconds on Google would have given her what she needed.
Maybe she did spend 10 seconds on Google, since it's quite easy to find a video or 2 that match her pronunciation of Drogheda, like this one....

A few more seconds lead to others that don't.
I'm guessing this one is good (at about :40)...

I said yesterday I'm not great with dates. Like the start of WW2 or Lincoln's assassination, the FJ date is an exception. Very surprised that only Matt got it...
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Reasons to read all the posts in the thread first:
Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:44 pm
Creed Bratton wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 5:35 pm Once I stopped reading “horseman,” and read “hoseman” instead, it was insta-getty.
Thanks for pointing that out. I did not notice it said "hoseman". Puzzled it out off the date.

Here's the Wikipedia article on the newspaper.
I was going to ask - Isn't it weird that they called the guy a "horseman"? Even in 1906, that seems to be a strange identifier. My grandfather actually rented/leased mules to the county road district, but I'm sure he wasn't a "muleman". Nonetheless, I played the clue as "horseman", and still got the answer by just deducing it had to be a first responder of some sort, and after bouncing away from San Juan Hill and Chicago for being too early, I landed on SF. The year doesn't Pavlov to me, but I knew it was in the neighborhood.

My second ever box of glory this week! Matt seems content to keep his wagers conservative, but decisive. It has been too easy for him to control the board (because he can wipe out most high value clues), and be deadly at finding the DD's. I'd still rather he top out early, then tap out and let the also-ran's answer a few low value clues at the end to show off to their friends. (Nobody needs to agree with me about this - I get it).

I wonder why Mayim gave the biology lesson on eggs and pupae, etc..? (I obviously already forgot it, lol..)

I still long for the Mike Richard's era where the category name was on the FJ clue caption.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
davey

Post by davey »

Google Ngram shows that the use of hoseman peaked around 1910 and has fallen away to nothing in the last 80 years or so...

https://books.google.com/ngrams/graph?c ... rl=t1%3B%2
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

Can anyone supply a rationale for either Pittsburgh or Boston? For the former, I thought of the Johnstown flood…. But Boston???
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 pm Can anyone supply a rationale for either Pittsburgh or Boston? For the former, I thought of the Johnstown flood…. But Boston???
Only thing I could think for Boston was the Molasses Flood (1919).
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

38R. 4/4 on big clues. Butchered the pronunciation of Chisholm so I learned something. Considered Chicago but went with San Francisco.

Missed moth and said cricket. Missed 78 and said 45. Missed impeachment and said recall.

Lots of clues that I missed that I want to get next time: The Girl in the Spider's Web, Waterford, Boyne, Go-Go's, Big Bertha, Hansom, Centennial, Le Morte d'Arthur, and stone soup.

I thought the Ireland category was tough.

Congrats to Matt Amodio for getting to 2nd place for all-time games won. Also he beat me on number of clues correct and I didn't even have competitors.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Woof wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 11:16 pm Can anyone supply a rationale for either Pittsburgh or Boston? For the former, I thought of the Johnstown flood…. But Boston???
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fire_department
The city of Boston, Massachusetts established America's first publicly funded, paid fire department in 1679
Maybe he made a connection from hoseman-->fire department-->Boston
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Fri Oct 01, 2021 9:15 pm Instaget San Francisco, then second-guessed myself with Chicago because of the Irish name, then looked back at the date and went back to SF.
I was pretty confident the Great Chicago Fire was sometime in the 1800s. Guess what? It was in 1871! Where have we seen that year recently? :lol:
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

1906 + hoseman was all that was needed. :mrgreen:
Had the faintest of hopes for the challengers when Matt neutralized his strategy by hitting the DD on the first clue. But no, Matt cleaned up the bottom row & rolled on to the easy win. :|
Last edited by DBear on Sat Oct 02, 2021 3:48 pm, edited 1 time in total.