Tuesday, October 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Tuesday, October 5, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

47R. 3/4 on big clues. One more for "you are what you eat". I'm not a big fan of apples. I like strawberries. I figured it would be wrong because I thought "you are what you eat" was an ancient phrase, maybe from Roman times, but I couldn't think of anything else. Looks like it isn't that old, 1820s originally in French and 1930s in English.

Missed Daguerre and said Lumiere. Missed Kauai and said Maui. Missed Cupid and said Shakespeare. Missed Peru and said Chile.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are beatification, Wordsworth, Ann Arbor, specie, and Sierra Madre.

Vroom is a cool name.

I said Rose Parade instead of Tournament of Roses and I'm counting it.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

I just had a conversation this morning about the lack of evidence that eating eggs affects cholesterol levels. So did I have a chance in hell of correctly reading and processing the FJ clue? I thought I would be the lone ranger but it seems to have tripped up several boardies. It will still go above 80% methinks.

disclaimer: this might as well be a rhetorical question - I'm not try to wake the grammarkrakens.
Has anybody notice Mayim's use of the (I think incorrect) phrase "That is them" to affirm a correct plural answer? I was teached that you had to say "that is they", "I am he", (also "I ain't he", because, well, hillbilly) etc.. I tried to make a note of the clue/response, but can't find it in my memory or the archive. Today is the second usage I've heard.

It was nice to see other people get the DD's.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

And now a Nevermind question at the time there's controversy over its cover. Clearly wizards have involved themselves in clue writing...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Another "you are what you eat" here. I wasn't confident with that because I figured the "fruit" in the clue was important, but I just blanked on "an apple a day..."
At least, I'm in good company
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

Wow, and here I thought I was going to read this thread filled with shame that I couldn't come up with FJ and everyone would say this was an Insta-get.

Add me to the "you are what you eat" pile.

I also said the Rose Parade and I'm counting it.
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

The J! Overheard bit is up. We often see the players and host chatting after the game, but in this video we get to hear them.
https://www.jeopardy.com/jbuzz/overhear ... -do-apples

Matt, if you like round numbers, one of these days you’ll need to wager something ending in 199 to properly round off your cumulative total.
--Peter
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

triviawayne wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 3:45 pm I had nothing until about 25 seconds in when I focused on "fruit". Managed to write "an apple a day...".
I'm guessing that would be accepted. What does everyone else think?
mujason

Post by mujason »

Is it just me or does Angie look like New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern?
-Jason
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

MattKnowles wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 10:52 pm Vroom is a cool name.
I went to school with a Vroom. He pronounced it like the engine sound but I'm guessing in Dutch it sounds more like a fictional Ethan.

I thought FJ was quite insubstantial fare. I popularized "have a nice day" when I said it to the bus driver a few hours ago.

I went with the most popular miss. I doubt an abbreviated phrase would be accepted. For one thing, they'd have to start scrutinizing ellipses and that would open the door to trouble.
I'm smart and I want respect.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

mujason wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 12:32 am Is it just me or does Angie look like New Zealand Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern?
She does, yes.
lefty wrote:I doubt an abbreviated phrase would be accepted. For one thing, they'd have to start scrutinizing ellipses and that would open the door to trouble.
I probably would have said it wouldn't be accepted before, but seems like the "Sgt. Pepper's" response being accepted sort of opened the door for it.

edit: maybe I'm remembering it wrong and I also see this has already been mentioned upthread. Seems like it was this game: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game ... +club+band
Wilbur was negged for not completing the title, but was it ever determined whether or not just "Sgt. Pepper's" would have been accepted?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:53 pm
DBear wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:47 pm
Ironhorse wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 7:23 pm I'm not a fan of FJs where you have to begin writing immediately. I would have thought the show would have learned from the backlash over the Sgt Pepper one a few years ago.
Agreed, TPTB, please stop it with speedwriting clues. Instagot it tho :mrgreen:

Roman god + fire = absolutely horrible negbait. :x
And your Final Jeopardy clue in EARLY ROCK MUSIC: This 1960 novelty song includes the lyrics "two, three, four, tell the people what she wore"
Spoiler
What is "The Itsy Bitsy Teenie Weenie Yellow Polka Dot Bikini?
Even further: "This tune written by Hoagy Carmichael has the longest published song title"
Spoiler
What is "I'm A Cranky Old Yank, In a Clanky Old Tank, On The Streets Of Yokohama with my Honolulu Mama, Doing Those Beat-O, Beat-O, Flat On My Seat-O, Hirohito Blues"?
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

I got nowhere on this FJ... I certainly should have, but nope... All I had was "Food Pyramid".

I do have a complaint, though... "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is NOT a phrase. It has a subject and verb, making it a sentence.

I still should have had it, though...
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clues in 90's Hit Album.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
yclept

Post by yclept »

Anthony had control a few times in DJ with DD3 just waiting to be found and he couldn’t get it. Since he didn’t double up on DD-1, I am not sure what he does on DD-3. But this game was close to being very interesting heading into FJ.

That said, Matt is just casually putting up $50,000+ scores at this point…
davey

Post by davey »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 am I got nowhere on this FJ... I certainly should have, but nope... All I had was "Food Pyramid".

I do have a complaint, though... "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is NOT a phrase. It has a subject and verb, making it a sentence.

I still should have had it, though...
This would be a good argument to use if you wrote An apple a day..., as a poster noted above and they ruled against. Yes, I think Popular Sayings would have been a better category name, but since the prevalent wrong response here is also a sentence I'm not sure it was much of a factor.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 am I do have a complaint, though... "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is NOT a phrase. It has a subject and verb, making it a sentence.
I disagree. It meets definition 2a of "phrase."

Definition of phrase

(Entry 1 of 2)
1 : a characteristic manner or style of expression : diction
2a : a brief expression especially : catchphrase
b : word
3 : a short musical thought typically two to four measures long closing with a cadence
4 : a word or group of words forming a syntactic constituent with a single grammatical function an adverbial phrase
5 : a series of dance movements comprising a section of a pattern
https://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/phrase
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:46 am
Rackme32 wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 2:20 am I do have a complaint, though... "An apple a day keeps the doctor away" is NOT a phrase. It has a subject and verb, making it a sentence.

Definition of phrase

(Entry 1 of 2)
3 : a short musical thought typically two to four measures long closing with a cadence
4 : a word or group of words forming a syntactic constituent with a single grammatical function an adverbial phrase
My understanding is that every sentence must be a clause, and every clause must be a phrase, but not necessarily the reverse. So, being enough to form a complete sentence does not disqualify it from being referred to as a phrase.

Of course, my understanding of elementary school subjects is clouded by the mists of time...
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Wed Oct 06, 2021 10:46 am

Definition of phrase

(Entry 1 of 2)
I don't think it's a big deal, 2a works for me and colloquially it's hard to believe anyone could be confused, but look farther down the page you linked-
: a group of two or more words that express a single idea but do not form a complete sentence
And it's not difficult to find grammatical sites that take a hard line... :ugeek:
https://pediaa.com/difference-between-p ... -sentence/

http://www.kentlaw.edu/academics/lrw/gr ... hrases.htm
(This page misspells "dependent" at the top, so maybe not definitive... :roll: )

https://www.cliffsnotes.com/study-guide ... -sentences
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I think there's a grammatical definition of a "phrase" and then there's a popular, non-grammatical definition. This FJ used the latter.
Foretopman

Post by Foretopman »

twelvefootboy wrote: Tue Oct 05, 2021 11:07 pm I was teached that you had to say "that is they", "I am he"
What were you teached about "that is he" vs "that is him"?