Friday, October 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Re: Friday, October 8, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MattKnowles »

42R. 3/4 on big clues. Got platypus no problem. I'm skeptical it's a real animal to this day. Missed Washington and said Montana. My first thought was Washington but then I looked at the name helenite and thought it was related to Helena. Oops.

Missed malt and said hops, The River Wild instead of Bird Box, MGM instead of United Artists, and New Mexico instead of Arizona. A bit embarrassed about that last one.

Some clues that I missed that I want to get next time are reanimator, near beer, The Phantom of the Opera, Sally Field, and M. Butterfly.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I love the platypus and all, but it's not even my favorite monotreme. :)
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Hm... Host in the Quiz Bowl video said "Truman Capoat". Yipe...

But then, I thought of platypus tonight and threw it out in favor of kangaroo. Double hmm...
Lefty
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by Lefty »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 am Hm... Host in the Quiz Bowl video said "Truman Capoat". Yipe...
That was how Ted Baxter pronounced it, so he's in good company.

Some years ago, Ben & Jerry's announced a contest to come up with a literary-themed ice cream flavor. I suggested Truman Compote. I never heard what won.
I'm smart and I want respect.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:41 pm Is it just my perception, or did the writers put more DDs higher on the DJ board for James Holzhauer than they are for Matt Amodio?

Probably just me, but I felt like in JH's run, they were trying to get other players to hit the DDs, and in Matt's run, they want him to hit those bonus boxes.
Maybe it's also just me, but it seems like the "time's up" sound is very, very slow in coming. The contestants seem to get a lot of time to answer.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Lefty wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 4:39 am
Rackme32 wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:26 am Hm... Host in the Quiz Bowl video said "Truman Capoat". Yipe...
That was how Ted Baxter pronounced it, so he's in good company.
High-larious. Murray or someone else tried to correct him with "Ee, Ted, ee." Ted then realized his mistake and responded "Oh, yes. Truman E. Capoat."
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 pm I love the platypus and all, but it's not even my favorite monotreme. :)
I love the fact that you have a favorite monotreme. :)

The first time my husband experienced "it's a small world" at Disneyland with me, he saw these guys and exclaimed with utter delight, "Monotremes bearing their eggs!!"
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 1:46 pm My ears liked hearing "horror" as said today unlike when Ripa or Buzzy say it the other way.
And I found myself thinking "Gee, they sure are pronouncing horror oddly". Not that we need yet another thread on regional pronunciation differences...
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:02 pm Missed Washington and said Montana. My first thought was Washington but then I looked at the name helenite and thought it was related to Helena. Oops.
Same here.

For FJ my three-sided die (platypus/platypus/kangaroo) came up right. Sometimes I outsmart myself thinking the response is too easy and look elsewhere but this time I stuck to my guns.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

alietr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:59 am
triviawayne wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:41 pm Is it just my perception, or did the writers put more DDs higher on the DJ board for James Holzhauer than they are for Matt Amodio?

Probably just me, but I felt like in JH's run, they were trying to get other players to hit the DDs, and in Matt's run, they want him to hit those bonus boxes.
Maybe it's also just me, but it seems like the "time's up" sound is very, very slow in coming. The contestants seem to get a lot of time to answer.
And yet I can't remember when a game last ended without all clues being revealed. Has something changed in the timing?
Peter the accountant

Post by Peter the accountant »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:11 am And yet I can't remember when a game last ended without all clues being revealed. Has something changed in the timing?
Probably not. Misses and clues where no one buzzes in chew up a lot of time. When you’ve got someone like Matt dominating the game, it moves along quicker. So it’s much easier to get to all of the clues.

I’m also pretty sure that in a game without a player like Matt (or James or Ken or similar) there’s a fair amount of editing with brief bits of dead air being removed. That keeps the game moving along for the TV audience. With that player like Matt, the game in real time is moving so fast, they can’t edit out all of that dead air or they won’t fill their run time. This also shows up in longer credit rolls at the end of the show. J! has shown a willingness to cut a lot of the credits to get more of the game on air. They haven’t needed to do that very often during Matt’s run.
--Peter
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

squarekara wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 9:17 am
This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:03 pm I love the platypus and all, but it's not even my favorite monotreme. :)
I love the fact that you have a favorite monotreme. :)

The first time my husband experienced "it's a small world" at Disneyland with me, he saw these guys and exclaimed with utter delight, "Monotremes bearing their eggs!!"
I hope this image appears. (Still working on my posting skills)
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:02 pm 42R. 3/4 on big clues. Got platypus no problem. I'm skeptical it's a real animal to this day. Missed Washington and said Montana. My first thought was Washington but then I looked at the name helenite and thought it was related to Helena. :oops:
I feel better now. The one I want back is Ode to the West Wind. All I could think of were Skylark & Nightingale, neither of which fit.
At least I got platypus, :mrgreen: giving me a 5/5 week for FJ.
NHO Bird Box.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

DBear wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 1:41 pm
MattKnowles wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 11:02 pm 42R. 3/4 on big clues. Got platypus no problem. I'm skeptical it's a real animal to this day. Missed Washington and said Montana. My first thought was Washington but then I looked at the name helenite and thought it was related to Helena. :oops:
I feel better now. The one I want back is Ode to the West Wind. All I could think of were Skylark & Nightingale, neither of which fit.
At least I got platypus, :mrgreen: giving me a 5/5 week for FJ.
NHO Bird Box.
Bird Box by Matt was a get that had me wondering if he knew it in S37? The way he dug it out had me suspecting it was recently acquired knowledge.

Perhaps here?
#8387, aired 2021-04-27 RECENT BOOKS $1200: 2020's "Malorie" is a sequel to this novel that was the basis for a Netflix movie starring a blindfolded Sandra Bullock

Or it could have been part of his streaming studies?
yclept

Post by yclept »

MarkBarrett wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:54 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 2:47 pm Good set of challengers today.
Anyone else winced during Claire's interview? That is on 100% on Mayim. Just choose a different story. I was worried Claire won't be around for FJ.

I just can't tell if other contestants are even trying to ring in during DJ. On the other hand, i can tell when Matt is shutout.
Hard to know with Max. Claire clearly wanted in on DJ1.

J! contestants even in a blowout want to ring in, so of course Claire and Max were trying. Successful much? Not a lot.

Another week complete: https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7161
Claire seemed a tad bit frustrated. Something tells me the category she chose to start the round was a major wheelhouse for her and Matt beating her to the buzzer was demoralizing to her.

If I was on the show, I would seriously go into spoiler mode. “You may be destroying me, but I am going to try to suppress your score as much as possible”. Plus, there’s that thing about wanting to show the audience that you aren’t just a stump invited onto the show.That you know a lot of this material but just can’t keep up with the superchamp.
yclept

Post by yclept »

CailinGaoilge wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:11 am
alietr wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 6:59 am

And yet I can't remember when a game last ended without all clues being revealed. Has something changed in the timing?
Which is a fun thing to think about…given that Matt benefited from the time’s up chime in his very first game.
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

yclept wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 5:11 pm

If I was on the show, I would seriously go into spoiler mode. “You may be destroying me, but I am going to try to suppress your score as much as possible”.
and you would do this by

1. Holding you hand really high and outwardly showing that you are buzzing in all the time, but can't answer

2. blurting out the answer before Matt has a chance, even though he beat you on the buzzer

3. Leaving your podium and elbowing Matt to the face while saying, "Stop buzzing in when while I know the answer."

IMO, only number three would work in suppressing his score.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

That reminds me of how my opponent who beat me, Enrique, accidentally rang in a second time after missing a clue on multiple occasions during that game. The only time during my run that I was frustrated on the buzzer was when I was trying to rebound on something he got wrong, and he rang in twice more before I could get in. (His extraneous buzzes were edited out.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Seems like they could just turn off your buzzer after a wrong question.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

Doesn't it, though? I guess they just trust people to behave, and enough do that they don't worry about it. Plus, who knows, maybe if they implemented an extended lockout system to prevent repeat buzzes, it could lead to situations where erroneous lockouts occur.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Oct 09, 2021 10:10 pm Plus, who knows, maybe if they implemented an extended lockout system to prevent repeat buzzes, it could lead to situations where erroneous lockouts occur.
Very much this. In this system, there are two buttons: clear and continue. It's easy to push the wrong button

With the system they use, it is impossible to push the wrong button when there is only one button to push. If the wrong button were pushed, and the game continued, not only would someone have to notice the wrong button was pushed, but the editing and insertion of an alternate question would create a nightmare scenario to deal with.
Total game show career losings = $171,522