Thursday, October 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, October 7, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by davey »

teapot37 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:47 am The term in phonetics for the infixation of a vowel in the middle of a word when saying it is "anaptyxis". The example Google gives in the definition is "filim" for film.
Who says filim? I'm not sure I've ever heard that. Except maybe by people making fun of cinephiles, since it sounds pretentious...?
Epenthesis is the word for any letter (or sound) inserted in a word. Like cumberbund or chimbley...or athalete.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:51 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:26 pm
Bamaman wrote: Thu Oct 07, 2021 8:06 pm https://www.j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=4202

The extra a didn’t matter in the above game. Remembering this one got me to spell it correctly tonight.

I would have loved to see the social media firestorm if Tyler had hit the DDs, gotten on a roll and went into FJ with the lead and then lost because of the judges’ ruling.
Checking the recording I see that Alex said (approximately): We'll accept that, even though you misspelled it.
I hate to ask you to check once more, but it would be nice to have the exact quote for Archive purposes :D
Archive's got it right, so I assume you guys communicated. Here's video for anyone still interested:

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:02 am Who says filim? I'm not sure I've ever heard that.
I think it's an Irish thing.
davey

Post by davey »

seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:29 pm
davey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 11:02 am Who says filim? I'm not sure I've ever heard that.
If it is, the sound would be caused by trilling and thus elongating the l, not really by adding an i sound, no?
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

teapot37 wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 7:47 am The term in phonetics for the infixation of a vowel in the middle of a word when saying it is "anaptyxis". The example Google gives in the definition is "filim" for film.
I always marvel when something that seems obscure is actually common enough that is has a name. As a teen, I had a car whose transmission synchros had about worn out, and thought I had invented a technique whereby I could shift without clashing. I was crushed when I found out that double-clutching was a thing lots of people knew about.

Never knew there was specific antonym to an internal elide. I know many people who eliminate the schwa sound when pronouncing "mathematics" or "accidentally," among others.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

AFRET CMS wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 2:58 pm
I always marvel when something that seems obscure is actually common enough that is has a name. As a teen, I had a car whose transmission synchros had about worn out, and thought I had invented a technique whereby I could shift without clashing. I was crushed when I found out that double-clutching was a thing lots of people knew about.

Never knew there was specific antonym to an internal elide. I know many people who eliminate the schwa sound when pronouncing "mathematics" or "accidentally," among others.
Those are good examples. I wonder if J! would neg FJ responses mathmatics or accidently? Or on the other hand, publically, a spelling that grates on me. (Probably not, since that spelling is actually in Merriam-Webster...) I'm not sure anybody actually says that with 4 syllables.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:31 pm
seaborgium wrote: Sun Oct 10, 2021 12:29 pm
If it is, the sound would be caused by trilling and thus elongating the l, not really by adding an i sound, no?
It's not so much that there's a trill but that the Irish accent doesn't have "dark" L's like a lot of the English-speaking world. The clear L ("clear" being the opposite of "dark" here) is an alveolar consonant (articulated with the tip of the tongue on the ridge above the front teeth), and we say it at the start of syllables before the vowel, whereas the dark L is velar (articulates between the back of the tongue and the soft palate), and we say it at the end of syllables after the vowel. The Irish accent pronounces all L's at the tip of the tongue, and I guess the L-M transition just needs a vowel in between when the L is clear. (On the other side, they can say "reel" as a true monosyllable, while we say "ree-yul" because we need a vowel to transition from the long E in the front of the mouth to the dark L farther back.)

I also remembered as I saw your reply that I watched a Bollywood movie on a plane ride home from Europe in 2015 (or 2019, I'm not sure) that had a song about the protagonist's obsession with movies that repeated the word "film" with two syllables. I guess the Hindi word is just "fillum."
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:59 pm
seaborgium wrote: Fri Oct 08, 2021 12:35 pm I'm glad there's at least some justification out there. But yeah, I can accept "biathlon" having four syllables the same way I can accept "shuffling" having three.
♫ Ev'ry day I'm biathalonin' ♪
Going out to dinner last night to celebrate my wife's birthday reminded me that she pronounces it "lobuhster". Chinese's monosyllablism abhores consonant clusters and that's just how she learned the English word. Judges?