Stories From Bar Trivia Night

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

harrumph
Voyeur

Stories From Bar Trivia Night

Post by harrumph »

I've only recently been able to start attending these events as I had a night job for my working years.  I'm now part of a regular group that meets at a local bar for their Tuesday night trivia contest.  I enjoy it on many levels; the trivia is secondary to the social interactions that the contest creates, not just within my group but with other teams.  Over time the regular attendees all get to know each other.

On this particular night we had a guest host.  There were some minor slip ups during the evening, and when it came time for the final two rounds the host went straight to the final round.  We collectively informed the host of the mistake, but apparently he had not been given the missing round.  My team was tied with another team for first at that point, and the other teams trailed significantly behind.  The final round asks the teams to give ten answers, and for this one we were asked to name ten countries in South America.  The final round usually asks for something that involves some educated guessing, but for this one everyone knew that all the teams would score a perfect ten and that we would remain tied for the lead, thus necessitating a tiebreaker question.  So when the results were tallied the host announced that the two teams that had been tied for first were now tied for second, and that another team had won by one point.  We all knew that this was mathematically impossible, and a small uproar ensued.  It turned out that another team, knowing that they had no chance, had as a joke filled in the doubling box for that round.  The rules of the game are that you can only use the doubling box in one of the first six rounds, but not in the last two.  The team had picked the perfect moment for it; a guest host unfamiliar with the routine, two teams tied for first with the other teams trailing far behind.  They quickly acknowledged their tomfoolery, and I congratulated them on their comedic moment.  My team went on to win the tiebreaker.

Anyone else have a bar trivia night story worth sharing?
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Re: Stories From Bar Trivia Night

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Me and my grandparents have won our pub trivia night the past 5 weeks in a row.

(My grandparents actually aren't that good at trivia.)
Douglas Squasoni
MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MarkBarrett »

It's been enough years since the first time posting about it that it doesn't hurt to post again.

The picture round handout sheet included a picture of a sea vessel that no one on the team could identify. It was only after the correct answer was given that we finally noticed the gaping hole on the side. Of the USS Cole. :oops:
Blue Lion

Post by Blue Lion »

Our trivia team, the "Deep Eddys", plays at a local establishment every Monday night. Last Monday, we lost by 1 point to "Vandelay Industries", a group of visitors to Hilton Head, thanks to a ruling by the host on this question: "What two mammals lay eggs?" I answered "Echidna, Platypus". When the host read out the answers, he said the correct answer was "Anteater, Platypus". After the game, I was chatting with members of another team, and the host stopped by. I showed him a Scientific American article that mentioned the echidna as an egg-laying mammal. His response, "Why did you write the scientific name?", as though we'd given him a different animal. He then said, "You guys win too much as it is".
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

A bunch of us brought kids one night, and they sat at a separate table and played as their own team. For the "identify the celebrity" round, here is what they came up with. Clearly they didn't grasp the common theme.
Attachments
trivia.jpg
trivia.jpg (66.46 KiB) Viewed 3125 times
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 am A bunch of us brought kids one night, and they sat at a separate table and played as their own team. For the "identify the celebrity" round, here is what they came up with. Clearly they didn't grasp the common theme.
I hope your trivia night has a last-name-only rule.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Are any of these incorrect for the celebrity pictures with name in common?
Spoiler
Nat
Stephen
Larry
Rodney
Gayle
Carole
B.B.
Coretta
Billie Jean
Don

Other ones I thought of:
Joey
Regina
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Woppy T wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 9:55 am A bunch of us brought kids one night, and they sat at a separate table and played as their own team. For the "identify the celebrity" round, here is what they came up with. Clearly they didn't grasp the common theme.
I love how they mix things up by putting Janet Reno in the penultimate slot, just when you're sure you understand the pattern. :D
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:05 pm
I love how they mix things up by putting Janet Reno in the penultimate slot, just when you're sure you understand the pattern. :D
You've got me beat. I lost the thread at Seal.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

mahatma wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:37 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 2:05 pm
You've got me beat. I lost the thread at Seal.
Spoiler
Seal's last name is King. I thought everybody knew that.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

You guys are braver than I am. I'm not ready to return to a crowded bar for trivia night yet.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

I've got a team playing tonight with a brilliant name:

Crypto [dot] com presents Hop Hill Trivia Night
Total game show career losings = $171,522
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I have a friend named Rufus who lives in Hawaii and was on Wheel when they taped on location there a few years ago. He went viral for solving "Championship match" with only the T revealed, even though he didn't win his game. I befriended him on Facebook, and then he befriended my mom through their mutual love of fantasy football.

When I won my trip to Hawaii on Wheel, I took an Uber to meet Rufus at a local bar so we could play trivia.

Let's just say there's a reason we went on Wheel and not J!, because we both failed miserably. I believe we both went two whole rounds without even a single guess.

My best get, however, was being the only one to identify the band Queens of the Stone Age.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

Picture rounds are the reason I stopped doing live trivia.

Didn't recognize a single one of those.
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Fri Nov 19, 2021 5:16 pm You guys are braver than I am. I'm not ready to return to a crowded bar for trivia night yet.
What I’ve been doing, along with many others, since the pandemic hit is the Online Quiz League USA. Jboard has been decently represented there, with a team consisting of Reddpen, bomtr, Teapot37, myself and one of my in-person pub quiz teammates, 1987 TOC semifinalist Eric Berman.

It resembles English pub trivia more than US versions, and the questions are quite challenging. Still, we’ve managed to hold our own in a field replete with J! ToCers are other top quizzers, staying afloat in one of the B divisions and thankful that we’re not in A division :mrgreen:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Rackme32 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:27 am Picture rounds are the reason I stopped doing live trivia.

I recognized 3 of them: Stephen, Larry, and Billie Jean King. Other than that, B.B. King is (7)and I think that's Carole King at (6). Bernard King and Regina King might be there...
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 10:49 am
Rackme32 wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 12:27 am Picture rounds are the reason I stopped doing live trivia.

I recognized 3 of them: Stephen, Larry, and Billie Jean King. Other than that, B.B. King is (7)and I think that's Carole King at (6). Bernard King and Regina King might be there...
I got Stephen, Larry, and Carole outright. Because of the common bond I would have also picked up B.B., Coretta Scott, and Billie Jean (whom I actually did briefly mistake for Janet Reno!). I normally recognize Nat, but the picture was zoomed in and I just couldn't figure out who I was looking at. I've realized that I don't really recognize Don; I only recognize his hair. That leaves Rodney whom I know of but can't identify by picture, and Gayle who only sounds vaguely familiar.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:22 pm That leaves Rodney whom I know of but can't identify by picture, and Gayle who only sounds vaguely familiar.
Gayle King is possibly the world's most famous best friend.
I'm smart and I want respect.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm
opusthepenguin wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 1:22 pm That leaves Rodney whom I know of but can't identify by picture, and Gayle who only sounds vaguely familiar.
But she didn't get a car.
Woppy T

Post by Woppy T »

econgator wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:52 pm
Lefty wrote: Sat Nov 20, 2021 6:50 pm
But she didn't get a car.
Oprah bought her a house instead!