Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY PRESIDENTS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
He won an election in which he & his Democratic opponent were from Ohio & both were wealthy newspaper publishers

Amy Schneider: 35400+10000=45400 (4x = $155,600)
Heidi Stumb: minus 800
Mack Hayden: 11600+11599=23199

Correct response:
Spoiler
(Warren) Harding

Daily Doubles
Amy: 5400+2400
Mack: 7200+3600
Amy: 20000+5000

Coryats
Amy: 30200
Heidi: minus 800
Mack: 9600

Combined: 39,000

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 11600
Heidi: 400
Mack: 5200
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Tough match for Heidi only able to get in a few times. Amy got that fourth win to pass her brother-in-law at the time a few years ago who won 3 games.

There is no way the powers will let the cutoff period for the TOC go so long to eliminate Amy even if she loses tomorrow. I'm gonna mark her games in the archive without waiting for a 5th win or official TOC participant.

The FJ! clue is a 30-second miss for me as I wrote McKinley in thinking the clue was going for some kind of trick thing that McKinley was reelected in the 19th century, but was also a 20th century president. It was a fail on my part to use that plus Ohio to justify my response.

Just as time was up I realized I should have switched to match contestants, though had no chance to do it in time. :oops:

Mack was not going to win even if he did 7200+7200 on DD2 instead of +3600. Amy is too good at the game to let a trailer take the game today in keeping her wagering clue percentage perfect with 10/10.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Here's my thought process on FJ!
Spoiler
If I knew the occupations of all the presidents, this would be an instaget and I'd be done. I only know most of them, and no one comes to mind who was a newspaper publisher. I can ignore the later 20th century presidents, from FDR forward, because their occupations and the general outlines of their biographies are well known to me and none of them was a newspaper publisher. The early 20th century presidents, in reverse order, are Hoover, Coolidge, Harding, Wilson, Taft, Roosevelt, and McKinley (barely).
The book Yo, Millard Fillmore! is a good one for mnemonic command of the presidents and their order. Taking them in that order:
Hoover was famously an engineer;
Coolidge, not sure of his occupation, but he was too quiet-spoken to have been a publisher, which is generally the ambition of the boisterous only;
Harding, not sure of his occupation, but I think he was a Republican and I think he was from Ohio;
Wilson was famously a college professor and administrator, and I think was from the Eastern U.S., and not a Republican;
Taft, a career politician/lawyer/judge, so it's probably not him (although he is a Republican from Ohio);
TR was lots of things, an historian and soldier among them, but I've never heard of him being a newspaper man, and anyway, he was famously from New York City, not Ohio, and anyway, he was not elected to the high office in the first instance;
McKinley, I know was a Republican from Ohio, but he wasn't elected in the 20th century, so it would be a mean trick to make him the correct response.
By process of elimination, that leaves Harding and McKinley, with the coin weighted toward Harding.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

For some reason my brain always completely locks up on the presidents between the two Roosevelts and I can't for the life of me find a way to make them stick.

I've had some severe brain lock lately and can't seem to get anything moving.

Will I go all of November without getting FJ! right?
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:00 pm Here's my thought process on FJ!
Spoiler
If I knew the occupations of all the presidents, this would be an instaget and I'd be done. I only know most of them, and no one comes to mind who was a newspaper publisher. I can ignore the later 20th century presidents, from FDR forward, because their occupations and the general outlines of their biographies are well known to me and none of them was a newspaper publisher. The early 20th century presidents, in reverse order, are Hoover, Coolidge, Harding, Wilson, Taft, Roosevelt, and McKinley (barely).
The book Yo, Millard Fillmore! is a good one for mnemonic command of the presidents and their order. Taking them in that order:
Hoover was famously an engineer;
Coolidge, not sure of his occupation, but he was too quiet-spoken to have been a publisher, which is generally the ambition of the boisterous only;
Harding, not sure of his occupation, but I think he was a Republican and I think he was from Ohio;
Wilson was famously a college professor and administrator, and I think was from the Eastern U.S., and not a Republican;
Taft, a career politician/lawyer/judge, so it's probably not him (although he is a Republican from Ohio);
TR was lots of things, an historian and soldier among them, but I've never heard of him being a newspaper man, and anyway, he was famously from New York City, not Ohio, and anyway, he was not elected to the high office in the first instance;
McKinley, I know was a Republican from Ohio, but he wasn't elected in the 20th century, so it would be a mean trick to make him the correct response.
By process of elimination, that leaves Harding and McKinley, with the coin weighted toward Harding.
Here's mine:

20th century presidents from Ohio:
Spoiler
McKinley, Taft, Harding.

McKinley was barely a 20th century president, and only won elections in the 19th century. Taft was a lawyer, so I guess that leaves Harding...
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

The clue for Venus $2000 is incorrect. It says "revolves" when it should have said "rotates." The rotation is retrograde.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 1:53 pm The FJ! clue is a 30-second miss for me as I wrote McKinley in thinking the clue was going for some kind of trick thing that McKinley was reelected in the 19th century, but was also a 20th century president. It was a fail on my part to use that plus Ohio to justify my response.

Just as time was up I realized I should have switched to match contestants, though had no chance to do it in time. :oops:
I think you and I were using the same brain today. That's how my thinking went in a nutshell. Thought of Garfield with no time to make the switch.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:15 pm Will I go all of November without getting FJ! right?
I'm rootin' for ya, kid!
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

cosmos wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 6:14 pm The clue for Venus $2000 is incorrect. It says "revolves" when it should have said "rotates." The rotation is retrograde.
Good catch! That sailed right by me.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

opusthepenguin wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:20 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 2:15 pm Will I go all of November without getting FJ! right?
I'm rootin' for ya, kid!
You're rooting for him to not get any in November? Man, you're harsh ...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 pm
I'm rootin' for ya, kid!
Guess the country, state or president never goes well. If he can't get an animal origin clue then perhaps a country music artist clue can be the savior.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

MarkBarrett wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:49 pm Guess the country, state or president anything never goes well
Fixed
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

No split-screen "We'll be back with Final Jeopardy!, right after this" tonight. Nothing from Johnny at all. Instead, an ad for Ghostbusters: Afterlife.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I knew Heidi was done when she ran away from Venus. ;)
Matt lost the wind in his sails when he couldn't get the Aegean BMS. :|
:D :D :D :mrgreen: on big clues.
FJ for me was "name a rich Ohioan who was President.". Harding fit the bill.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 7:32 pm
I'm rootin' for ya, kid!
Of course to the first and not at all to the second! There's no redeeming the month at this point. But if he leans into it, this can become something special.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

56 R (Couldn't get Rick Rubin, nor TV Comedy Sketches $800, $1600, and $2000.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

A CHEMICAL TRAGEDY.

Our Willie passed away today,
His face we’ll see no more;
What Willie thought was H2O
Proved H2SO4.

(Someone did the leg work on this one: November 1894, Hamilton Review (Hamilton College, Clinton, NY), pg. 54, col. 1: )
https://www.barrypopik.com/index.php/ne ... _was_h2so4
LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Mon Nov 22, 2021 10:09 pm 56 R (Couldn't get ... TV Comedy Sketches ... $2000.)
That Chappelle sketch is a classic

My brain decided to be a pain tonight... *reads final* "Oh, the guy after Wilson...McKinley! NO! AFTER Wilson! Harding. Right."
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)