Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Re: Monday, November 22, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by ldfghjkl »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 pm I found it odd that the correct responses for the detective category went: James Patterson, Detective Bosch, Devil in a Blue Dress, Sue Grafton, Philip Marlowe. The 'tougher' responses seem a million times more famous than the 'easier' ones. I've never even heard of James Patterson or Detective Bosch.
James Patterson is one of the biggest-selling - and most prolific - authors of all time, with 114 NYTimes best sellers. I've never read any of his books, but it's hard to avoid knowing who he is. He appears in TV commercials for himself, and recently got much publicity for writing thrillers with Bill Clinton. Alex Cross has been played by Morgan Freeman in the movies. $200 is sensible placement.
I guess it's just a blind spot. I know who Stephen King and John Grisham and Dan Brown and Anne Rice are, so it's not like I only know highbrow literature. But James Patterson might as well be a name from a phone book.
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

davey wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 5:24 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 4:56 pm I found it odd that the correct responses for the detective category went: James Patterson, Detective Bosch, Devil in a Blue Dress, Sue Grafton, Philip Marlowe. The 'tougher' responses seem a million times more famous than the 'easier' ones. I've never even heard of James Patterson or Detective Bosch.
James Patterson is one of the biggest-selling - and most prolific - authors of all time, with 114 NYTimes best sellers. I've never read any of his books, but it's hard to avoid knowing who he is. He appears in TV commercials for himself, and recently got much publicity for writing thrillers with Bill Clinton. Alex Cross has been played by Morgan Freeman in the movies. $200 is sensible placement.
I'm not as certain about Bosch - I didn't get that one - but it helps that the detective has appeared in a long-running series on Amazon Prime. Evidently the "artful" was meant to trigger thoughts of Hieronymous Bosch...
I made a point of watching Bosch on Amazon Prime after seeing him come up a few times on Jeopardy! Great series!
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pmMy point was that Sony's interest in promoting the Beatles is evident; in promoting Disney+, not so much
Obviously, they're interested in getting paid to have sponsored categories, even if the money is coming from an ostensible competitor. (Of course, Sony doesn't have a Disney+ equivalent -- not even close, after they sold off Crackle.)
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

trainman wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:06 am
Robert K S wrote: Tue Nov 23, 2021 8:17 pmMy point was that Sony's interest in promoting the Beatles is evident; in promoting Disney+, not so much
Obviously, they're interested in getting paid to have sponsored categories, even if the money is coming from an ostensible competitor. (Of course, Sony doesn't have a Disney+ equivalent -- not even close, after they sold off Crackle.)
Do you think (or know) that categories are sponsored on Jeopardy!?
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Robert K S wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 7:46 am
Every time the host accompanies a category by saying "...premieres this Friday on..." I think that's a sponsored category. Now that didn't happen in the present case (Disney+ wasn't mentioned), nor was there an end credit saying they "paid a fee for their promotion," so those are points against. I don't know what the rules are, and I don't know if such announcements appear in the "premieres" cases. Now could be the time for our friends who collect credit rolls to do some research...
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

davey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 am
Every time the host accompanies a category by saying "...premieres this Friday on..." I think that's a sponsored category. Now that didn't happen in the present case (Disney+ wasn't mentioned), nor was there an end credit saying they "paid a fee for their promotion," so those are points against. I don't know what the rules are, and I don't know if such announcements appear in the "premieres" cases. Now could be the time for our friends who collect credit rolls to do some research...
If they don't acknowledge a fee, my guess is it was done as a trade or a cross-promotion.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:48 am
davey wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:43 am
If they don't acknowledge a fee, my guess is it was done as a trade or a cross-promotion.
Could be. I have to believe that the recent "American Music Awards" category, with its egregious clips, was in some sense "sponsored."