Are there any Tournaments in store for Season 38?

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

jeopardyfan939
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Are there any Tournaments in store for Season 38?

Post by jeopardyfan939 »

Last season, as you know, we only had one tournament (the ToC held during May sweeps). This was in big part because in the early episodes of S37, only people from Southern California were eligible to be on the show. And then there was the massive rotation of guest hosts after Alex passed away; Buzzy, of course, was picked to guest host the ToC.

Now it's November; and in pre-COVID times, there would always be some sort of tournament held in the month of November (may it be a Teen Tournament, College Championship, or Tournament of Champions). The most recent such event was the 2019 ToC. And Season 36 was also the most recent season to hold multiple tournaments. This season I have not heard any word of when there will be another tournament. But I have heard the National College Championship will air in prime time on ABC early next year; I also read it will have a rather different format from the College Championship on the daily syndicated series.

Here is my question. Will at least the Teen Tournament and Teachers Tournament resume being held starting this season? Or will the tournaments now be prime time spinoffs, except the Tournament of Championships?
MarkBarrett

Re: Are there any Tournaments in store for Season 38?

Post by MarkBarrett »

November 29 will begin a tournament. Rumor mill is College Professors though not confirmed. More in 2022? TBD.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

For the PM I received and from USA Today:

When will Mayim Bialik return?
Jennings will host the next three weeks of episodes, to be followed by a tournament. Although "Jeopardy!" officials won't say which one, the show last summer aired promos urging college professors to take an online test. (The show has aired teachers tournaments for years, but never one just for college educators.)
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

There was going to be a College Team Tournament, but it was cancelled due to Alex Trebek's passing.
Douglas Squasoni
gameshowfandanny

Post by gameshowfandanny »

LucarioSnooperVixey wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 2:59 pm There was going to be a College Team Tournament, but it was cancelled due to Alex Trebek's passing.
Actually, that's going to be in ABC primetime, titled "Jeopardy! National College Championship". It likely premieres on January 4th because ABC has an open slot for that day at 8:00 PM, though it hasn't been officially confirmed whether it's still in teams. Mayim also said in an interview that it's being taped in November.
EDIT: Jeopardy! National College Championship won't premiere on January 4 at 8:00 PM Eastern because that's when Judge Steve Harvey premieres.
Last edited by gameshowfandanny on Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

gameshowfandanny

The minisite Mark linked to says that the Professors Tournament is airing from December 6-17. The matchups for the quarterfinals are:
December 6: Hester Blum vs. Gautam Hans vs. Gary Hollis
December 7: Marti Canipe vs. John Harkless vs. Katie Reed
December 8: Sam Buttrey vs. Lisa Dresner vs. Ashleigh Lawrence-Sanders
December 9: Ramon Guerra vs. Ed Hashima vs. Julia Williams
December 10: JP Allen vs. Alisa Hove vs. Deborah Steinberger
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Glad I put a placeholder in my wild card thread. Though I fear more new tournaments are on the horizon.

viewtopic.php?p=122014
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:23 pm November 29 will begin a tournament. Rumor mill is College Professors though not confirmed. More in 2022? TBD.
O Dear Gawd no. And you thought Celebrity J! was insufferable. :roll:
JoshuaSianturi
Contributor

Post by JoshuaSianturi »

Will the winner of the Professor's Tournament automatically qualify in the Tournament of Champions?
yclept

Post by yclept »

JoshuaSianturi wrote: Thu Nov 11, 2021 2:12 am Will the winner of the Professor's Tournament automatically qualify in the Tournament of Champions?
One would think so since the Teacher’s Tournament winner gets a bid.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Local listings say the Professors Tournament will air in syndication, not as a primetime special. Is this new information? It is to me. I thought Ken would be hosting for the rest of 2021.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
gameshowfandanny

tddeveryday wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 3:53 am Local listings say the Professors Tournament will air in syndication, not as a primetime special. Is this new information? It is to me. I thought Ken would be hosting for the rest of 2021.
The Professors Tournament was always supposed to air in syndication. Jeopardy! National College Championship is airing on ABC primetime, but ABC has yet to announce a premiere date.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

On Facebook I received this message:

Stu Shostak said his friend who has an "in" at Sony says the College tournament taped this past Monday and Tuesday and there is still no audience, even though Michael Davies wanted there to be one, Sony won't allow it. Though Sony and Norman Lear are soon to tape a recreation of Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes where there will be an audience.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

DBear wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:36 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 12:23 pm November 29 will begin a tournament. Rumor mill is College Professors though not confirmed. More in 2022? TBD.
The professors are at least real contestants. While I am not a fan of the concept, the tournament won’t really be any different from regular games.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:41 am
DBear wrote: Wed Nov 10, 2021 7:36 pm
The professors are at least real contestants. While I am not a fan of the concept, the tournament won’t really be any different from regular games.
Why not a fan of the concept? While I don't see why they wouldn't lump these players in with the Teacher's Tournament and maybe call it an Educator's Tournament, I see no issue with doing something a little different.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
finishemzoe
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by finishemzoe »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 10:21 am On Facebook I received this message:

Stu Shostak said his friend who has an "in" at Sony says the College tournament taped this past Monday and Tuesday and there is still no audience, even though Michael Davies wanted there to be one, Sony won't allow it. Though Sony and Norman Lear are soon to tape a recreation of Facts of Life and Diff'rent Strokes where there will be an audience.
Did they mention anything about the format for the NCC?
sup, i'm bliss.

trans rights.

JEOPARDY! LEADERBOARD HERE: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/ ... mYjSS0weM/

SUBSTACK: https://livinginjeopardy.substack.com/
threearruda

Post by threearruda »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:12 pm
While I don't see why they wouldn't lump these players in with the Teacher's Tournament and maybe call it an Educator's Tournament, I see no issue with doing something a little different.
While I agree with you on the surface, trying to think like a producer helped me rationalize what I believe to be the why (and sorry if I'm restating something obvious to everyone else). ABC took the college championship for their own use, so syndication can't be redundant, but you have to modify a tournament that you've held for 30+ years. With the Professors Tournament, all that's changed is who is competing, not the what (the rival schools). It's the college Championship, but grown up.

And this might be a stretch, but I'd also add that catering to professors allows extra spots on the show for folks who are different than the 25-40 year olds who likely make up much of the contestant base these days.

Now on the other hand, this tournament is a Mike Richards joint so maybe I'm giving him too much credit... but I look forward to seeing how everything shakes out.
J! S39 - 1/27-2/1. '24 ToC ???

5x TD champ - 7x TD host
Sherm

Post by Sherm »

I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with me turning 55 in a couple of months.

OK, it has everything to do with me turning 55 in a couple of months. Hey, if they invite me to be on the show, who really gives a crap about a bunch of old farts getting to play, and this coming from one of the old farts. At least, I guess I'm officially one in a couple of months.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Sherm wrote: Mon Nov 29, 2021 1:06 pm I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with me turning 55 in a couple of months.
Same here. I want the seniors tournament brought back, and it has nothing to do with you turning 55 in a couple of months.