Wednesday, November 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Re: Wednesday, November 24, 2021 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by seaborgium »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 1:54 pm Ken seems to have some kind of superhero power other hosts don't have as Dan got another $1000 clue right and Ken called it out for 3 clues right and $3000 on the scoreboard. Does Ken tally contestant correct responses? Marks it on a sheet. In his head? Paid attention to the scores enough to see 1000+1000+1000? Whatever the method I was impressed to keep the game moving along while calling it out.
Alex did the same for Ellyn Feerick in my first game (see J! clues 10, 15, and 25), though he didn't actually get as specific as Ken. Not that it wasn't a nice move on Ken's part, but it doesn't seem that complicated to notice and call it out—you see him get $1,000 for his first clue, you move on; you notice his score double on his next get, and move on again; he adds another thou, and you decide it's special enough to say something.

I got FJ here, and I got Julia's FJ at the time (though I almost went wrong, as I detailed in my post on the seventh page of the thread Robert K S linked). I'm surprised TPH's post didn't involve a complaint about what a generic name "Royal Society" is.
jan
Contributor

Post by jan »

I can find no record of Will Shortz ever using that A-C-H-A-C-H puzzle on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle segment. Does anyone know when that was?
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Another Royal Academy here. Blast.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 pm
tddeveryday wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 2:24 pm Instaget FJ! for me today. I was surprised to see all 3 players hesitate before writing.

Another impressive moment from Ken: having enough mental clarity to rule Madeline incorrect for, "The Ambassador to France" instead of "the French Ambassador". I enjoyed the majority of the guest hosts, but even most of the ones I liked would not be perceptive enough to rule that response as incorrect. It's astounding to me that Sony's top decision-makers still don't realize that Ken is clearly the best candidate for this job.
That's, IMO, Ken's best attribute: he has the knowledge base to judge on the fly. Improv can be picked up faster than decades of study.
I think Ken is doing an outstanding job, he seems born to the role, but I also think anyone with good hearing and sense (that covers most of the guest hosts, right?) would have picked up on that distinction...
btw, Ken's exchange with Madeline hit just the right pre-Thanksgiving note - You don't like pie? I appreciated her etort - I'm cool with cake!
Speaking of lack of good sense, I got hung up on "electricity" on the FJ clue, and didn't pick up on the likelihood of an English origin from the date... :oops:
Last edited by davey on Thu Nov 25, 2021 12:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.
davey

Post by davey »

jan wrote: Thu Nov 25, 2021 7:59 am I can find no record of Will Shortz ever using that A-C-H-A-C-H puzzle on NPR's Weekend Edition Sunday puzzle segment. Does anyone know when that was?
My guess is it was from the game played with the radio contestant. It's too easy to be the weekly puzzle. I was surprised it went unanswered in this game.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Volante wrote: Wed Nov 24, 2021 10:45 pm And I missed it then too...but apparently I had a good excuse! ( viewtopic.php?p=122361#p122361 )
There is a special circle in hell for anyone who negligently or intentionally scripts such stupid factual inaccuracies into historical fiction.
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

I found a relevant Shortz puzzle from Games Magazine:

"The same three letters, in the same order, will fill each pair of blanks below to complete an eleven-letter word."

"1. STOM ..... ..... E"

I didn't find where he talked about it on NPR.

It's here with lots of other good stuff: http://joes-sticksandstones.blogspot.com/2014/05/
morbeedo
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by morbeedo »

Caldecott Medal was wayyyyyyy off base, but I always give the players credit writing for something
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I am sorry to see Madeline go so quickly. She is a serious Renaissance woman. She is a professional violinist. I think we might have also learned about her knowledge of four languages if she had lasted.

Unfortunately, she would cross me off her list if she found out that I dedicated an entire TD game to pi.
viewtopic.php?t=3794
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

Missed a few clues in TV.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
cthulhu

Post by cthulhu »

Immediately thought “Royal Society” on FJ, then spent 15 seconds second-guessing as it seemed too obvious. Ultimately decided that, obvious-ness aside, WECIB.