Friday, January 7, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Jurimetrician
Contributor

Re: Friday, January 7, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Jurimetrician »

Outcome: congrats to Amy on the million-dollar mark.

FJ: Somehow I whiffed on the "1948" part of the clue and put Nansen.
twelvefootboy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by twelvefootboy »

Leander wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 5:18 pm
ACW wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:38 pm
Golf wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 1:53 pmAnybody and everybody can blank on any clue, but I really shouldn't comment on those two incorrect FJ responses.
As good as anything I would've come up with. I'm not sure I've even HEARD of Heyerdahl.
I was wondering if Heyerdahl might be one of those people better known to an, um, older generation.
I resemble that remark!

I failed with Churchill for all the reasons Robert mentioned.

As far as the boomer insight, I only vaguely knew about the Voyage of the Kon-tiki and that he Thor Heyerdahl was well known to my elders. But learning what he did for his celebrity/publicity stunt struck me as junk science at first sight even as a teenager. (So does every single solo flight, speed record, altitude record, etc..). Learning that his research was basically to push a (possible) racist agenda just made me want to avoid wasting neurons on him. At least he didn't ruin hundreds (or thousands?) of lives winning a Nobel prize for developing the frontal lobotomy (Egaz Moniz, 1949). And, the scientific method of peer review did it's job since his crackpot ideas were never accepted or embraced by his peers.

Not enjoying watching one person play Jeopardy! every night. Didn't like it after a dozen games with anybody. But, hey, them's the rules. Who's got next?

I loved Amy's revelation about My-zulled for misled. My read/speak dichotomy came from knowing about a "fa-saud" as a false front for a person, and a "fack -kade" (spelled facade) for the front of a building. I didn't square this up for a decade. I also mentally sounded "inevitable" as "in -ee-veetable" before finally hearing it and connecting the dots.

Congrats to the super-champ.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bbird
Valued Contributor

Post by bbird »

Spum wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 7:35 pm So can someone please explain why double bassoon was incorrect?
A double bassoon is a contrabassoon, and it typically isn't made to come apart in pieces like a bassoon (other than some "compact" versions). The clue also mentions a neck sling, which is necessary for a bassoon, but a contrabassoon has an endpin to rest on the floor.

Meanwhile, I whiffed on the Australian state -- I saw "royal" and said Victoria immediately, while ignoring the rest of the clue. This isn't the first time J! has used "royal" as a hint for Queensland. Also not the first time I said [Queen] Victoria instead.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

bbird wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 10:09 pm Meanwhile, I whiffed on the Australian state -- I saw "royal" and said Victoria immediately, while ignoring the rest of the clue. This isn't the first time J! has used "royal" as a hint for Queensland. Also not the first time I said [Queen] Victoria instead.
I don't see the point of the "of course" in that clue.

I wonder if the earlier appearance of "Thor" led anyone away from Heyerdahl, though I guess it might just as well have given one a few more minutes to recall his last name.
I'm smart and I want respect.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Damn you Tarentino! I'm very familiar with the (1966) Nancy Sinatra apparently cover of 'Bang Bang' but legit had no idea it was a cover or that Cher sang it at all. (Turn back time made retro sense...after ignoring Aqua) (Also, Nancy S's first top 10 looks to be "These Boots..." one year earlier)

Damn you Howard Jarvis!

Mourning Doves!! I know what you are! ( https://www.jboard.tv/viewtopic.php?p=332764#p332764 )

Instafinal, tho I spent some time deciding whether to go with 'dahl' or 'dal'. Decided the latter was safer phonetically.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

I was lucky enough to have read a version of Kon-Tiki in grade school during the mid-'70s. :mrgreen:
Made quite the impression. 8-)
cosmos

Post by cosmos »

There should have been an umlaut on Louise Glück. Ken pronounced it correctly but it didn't make sense to me until I found out about the missing umlaut in the clue.
yclept

Post by yclept »

I was wondering going into FJ if Amy was going to do her usual type of wager (which would have been in the $20-25K range) OR secure the million on a miss, She went with the latter. Hard to blame her because it is such a special achievement.

The challengers really had no chance today, even with Amy not finding DD2 or DD3. They were rendered meaningless because neither challenger was able to get into any kind of groove. I love watching insane champions but I also feel sorry for players like these two - because they weren’t really able to show us anything. Amy was that locked in.

So can she match James’ streak? Can she pass Matt, who many would have thought would hang on to his rankings for at least a little while?
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

This is just plain embarrassing. They need to put someone up to beat her. It was obvious within the first few clues of Jeopardy round that those Challengers didn't have it. Why was Sean teetering constantly?
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 9:56 pm I loved Amy's revelation about My-zulled for misled. My read/speak dichotomy came from knowing about a "fa-saud" as a false front for a person, and a "fack -kade" (spelled facade) for the front of a building. I didn't square this up for a decade. I also mentally sounded "inevitable" as "in -ee-veetable" before finally hearing it and connecting the dots.
I remember starting to read "2001" and thinking 'warthog' was pronounced 'war-thog'. A few pages later, I figured it out, though.
Volante wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:04 pm Damn you Tarentino! I'm very familiar with the (1966) Nancy Sinatra apparently cover of 'Bang Bang' but legit had no idea it was a cover or that Cher sang it at all. (Turn back time made retro sense...after ignoring Aqua) (Also, Nancy S's first top 10 looks to be "These Boots..." one year earlier)
I fell for the same trap.
floridagator wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:09 am This is just plain embarrassing. They need to put someone up to beat her. It was obvious within the first few clues of Jeopardy round that those Challengers didn't have it. Why was Sean teetering constantly?
Time to bring out Austin Powers! Or Schliemann!
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Volante wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 11:04 pm Damn you Howard Jarvis!
Growing up in SoCal, my public education experience included field trips to museums, tide pools, mountain day-hikes, grunion runs, fossil hunting, etc. Howard Jarvis slammed the door on those excursions, and he was our childhood villain. Whenever we asked what happened to all our treasured enrichment programs, the answer was always "Proposition 13."
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I knew all about the Kon-Tiki and Thor Heyerdahl, but finally watched the original 1950 documentary a couple years ago since I was going to Norway and was considering visiting the Kon-Tiki museum in Oslo (didn't get a chance to, unfortunately). Anyway, it's well worth watching and I recommend it.
AFRET CMS
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by AFRET CMS »

Robert K S wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 3:38 pm
ACW wrote: Fri Jan 07, 2022 2:38 pm I'm not sure I've even HEARD of Heyerdahl.
Ken can catch you up.

I see Churchill and Hemingway as perfectly defensible wrong answers. "1948" says to me "the end of WWII plus the amount of time that it takes to write a book". Both writers were actively publishing during the period (although Hemingway published no nonfiction in the 1940s) and both were figures involved in WWII. Churchill published the first volume of his history of the war in '48. Norwegian independence may point to Norway's occupation by German forces during the war. "A vast blue sea" can be seen as an allusion to the English Channel and D-Day. Churchill was involved in D-Day's Operation Overlord from a planning perspective and Hemingway was in its seventh wave on Omaha Beach.
I agree. Both were writers. Both wrote in the time period.

I know from bitter experience that ANY response is usually better than no response. Leif Erikson might be tougher to defend, but it still would have been a better response than a blank.
I'm not the defending Jeopardy! champion. But I have played one on TV.
davey

Post by davey »

cosmos wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 12:15 am There should have been an umlaut on Louise Glück. Ken pronounced it correctly but it didn't make sense to me until I found out about the missing umlaut in the clue.
But the way she pronounces it, Glick, doesn't conform with the standard way the umlaut is uttered. Apparently it's her family tradition.
I was surprised that Amy couldn't get that one. It's not like you had to reach into history for it.

Kon-Tiki was maybe the first "best-seller" I ever became aware of. I think I read it in a Reader's Digest Condensed Version at my grandmother's house. I found it dull (or maybe I was too young for it), but the name is hard to forget...
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

davey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:17 pm Kon-Tiki was maybe the first "best-seller" I ever became aware of. I think I read it in a Reader's Digest Condensed Version at my grandmother's house. I found it dull (or maybe I was too young for it), but the name is hard to forget...
According to the 2008 FJ from which I learned of it, William Styron agreed.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

seaborgium wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:27 pm
davey wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 2:17 pm Kon-Tiki was maybe the first "best-seller" I ever became aware of. I think I read it in a Reader's Digest Condensed Version at my grandmother's house. I found it dull (or maybe I was too young for it), but the name is hard to forget...
According to the 2008 FJ from which I learned of it, William Styron agreed.
And to this I say Styron was probably a bookish nerd who never did anything remotely adventurous in his life.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

The first time I'd ever heard of Thor Heyerdahl and the Kon-Tiki was from the All Star games. And I only hear about those two through Jeopardy!, never anywhere else.

My FJ! get-rate has been slip-sliding off a cliff lately. In the past two weeks, I've done only the bare minimum to avoid a 0/5.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

floridagator wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 5:09 am This is just plain embarrassing. They need to put someone up to beat her. It was obvious within the first few clues of Jeopardy round that those Challengers didn't have it. Why was Sean teetering constantly?
It's tough when you see someone who doesn't seem to be taking the game seriously. My wife pointed out that children will often titter just like that when they are being admonished and know they're in the wrong. Maybe an attempt to look smaller or encourage the inquisitor to take pity. Hard to know. Friday was one of the worst of a long run with many bad shows. I blame the switch to Zoomcasting.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Anachronism wrote: Sat Jan 08, 2022 4:40 pm
It's tough when you see someone who doesn't seem to be taking the game seriously. My wife pointed out that children will often titter just like that when they are being admonished and know they're in the wrong. Maybe an attempt to look smaller or encourage the inquisitor to take pity. Hard to know. Friday was one of the worst of a long run with many bad shows. I blame the switch to Zoomcasting.
Sean wasn't tittering. He was teetering. Rocking from side to side.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

I wonder if it's some kind of natural instinct to teeter in a combat-like situation. I recall having to actively stop myself from teetering. I never expected the teetering to be so much of a problem.