Monday, January 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

MarkBarrett
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Monday, January 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by MarkBarrett »

Golf wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:58 pm
Leander wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:45 pm
Lefty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:59 pm

After some thought, I came up with Seaside Heights (evidently a "township" or a borough" of less than 3000) for affluent NJ suburb. Don't remember ever hearing of Short Hills. Wikipedia says it's the richest town in America, so maybe that's why. I did think of Leonia, NJ as another name to fill up a SUBURB-IA category.
I grew up a couple of towns away from Short Hills and found this an incredibly obscure question. No one would have any reason to have heard of Short Hills unless you lived in Northern NJ or knew someone from there. Not sure how it qualifies over any number of wealthy suburbs to be the richest, except it’s small and doesn’t have any poor people to pull down the averages.
NHO here as well.

Note to archivists on this clue. I believe the word in the clue should be wealthy instead of wealth. And it appears the suburb is called Short Hills instead of Short Hill. Let's blame it on all the media clues.
Fixed and fixed. Thank you Golf.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Couldn't get the Bruce Springsteen nor the Paul McCartney lyric.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

After some thought, I came up with Seaside Heights (evidently a "township" or a borough" of less than 3000) for affluent NJ suburb. Don't remember ever hearing of Short Hills. Wikipedia says it's the richest town in America, so maybe that's why. I did think of Leonia, NJ as another name to fill up a SUBURB-IA category.
I grew up a couple of towns away from Short Hills and found this an incredibly obscure question. No one would have any reason to have heard of Short Hills unless you lived in Northern NJ or knew someone from there. Not sure how it qualifies over any number of wealthy suburbs to be the richest, except it’s small and doesn’t have any poor people to pull down the averages.
The writing seemed off. Like what was with those first clues in the Chess Stratagems category?
davey

Post by davey »

I agree, surprising that brother-France-sad death in 1890 weren't enough for the players to get this FJ.
I got Short Hills after a pause. I live in NY and I'm vestigially aware of seeing/hearing ads for The Mall at Short Hills...NJ's Premier Shopping Destination!... :roll:
davey

Post by davey »

alietr wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 9:36 pm

The writing seemed off. Like what was with those first clues in the Chess Stratagems category?
Weren't they the same as all the clues in the category? Phrases that had terms used in chess stratagems...The first one, "insanity defense," was the only I got comfortably...(I knew the second was DOS, but I forgot "Denial," blanked on Mario Lopez, said "pasta fork" and I'm not sure I would have shifted fast enough...)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

The bottom two in Suburbs were “Capital of country where Trotsky died” and “Soviet leader in 1958”.

Those were supposed to be the hardest?
ldfghjkl
Valued Contributor

Post by ldfghjkl »

Lefty wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 7:59 pm After some thought, I came up with Seaside Heights (evidently a "township" or a borough" of less than 3000) for affluent NJ suburb. Don't remember ever hearing of Short Hills. Wikipedia says it's the richest town in America, so maybe that's why. I did think of Leonia, NJ as another name to fill up a SUBURB-IA category.
As someone who's never been to New Jersey and had no idea how anyone was supposed to get this, thanks for the confirmation.
lstone19
Valued Contributor

Post by lstone19 »

Leander wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 8:45 pm I grew up a couple of towns away from Short Hills and found this an incredibly obscure question. No one would have any reason to have heard of Short Hills unless you lived in Northern NJ or knew someone from there. Not sure how it qualifies over any number of wealthy suburbs to be the richest, except it’s small and doesn’t have any poor people to pull down the averages.
I also grew up a few towns away from Short Hills and one problem with this clue is Short Hills doesn't legally exist - it's just a name for a part of what is Millburn. Wikipedia incorrectly refers to it as an "unincorporated community" because it is a part of Millburn Township but in New Jersey, unlike in most states, township is a form of incorporated municipal government (I grew up in another NJ township). Short Hills has the same existence as the named neighborhoods of large cities such as NY, Chicago, and L.A.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Matching above posters in wondering how FJ was a TS. :shock:
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

*editing*
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

I started with Marcel Proust for FJ, but changed it to Van Gogh due to the year and the reference to Theo.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Golf wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 pm On DD David wagered $4000 of a possible $5400. Had he answered correctly, going into FJ he would have had $12600 to Amy's $25800, short of having a chance. Had he wagered properly, all $5400, he would have had $14000 and actually still been in the game.
I do so love these bulletins from The Fantasy Dispatch (soon to be a major motion picture by Wes Anderson)

Since he got it wrong, per you, your proper wager would be $5, so he ends the game with 8595.
But let's assume he gets it right AND makes your (incorrect) proper wager and ends at 10800.
This means when AMY gets the DD 8 clues later the scores (assuming the game plays out as is) are:

$16,200 / $4,200 / $12,800
NOT
$16,200 / $4,200 / $3,400

So, by your math, Amy should bet $16,200, doubles up to $32,400, resulting in final scores of:

$38,000 / $7,400 / $14,000

Where's your "still in the game" now?
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

This makes 4 FJ's that I got that Amy missed. I question if I have gotten more than four of the other 20 some FJ's that she got.

Didn't see the episode. I only got this because of the recycle from the 2018 game. I knew nothing about a sibling prior to that week's game and clue discussion.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
bomtr
Just a Man Like Any Other

Post by bomtr »

Sartre died in 1980. Napoleon died in 1821. Quite a chronological span in FJ.

Samuel R. Delaney was one of my favorites during my speculative fiction reading days, though I have not read him since he moved exclusively to fantasy.

That chess stratagems category should be burned and buried.
trainman
Moderator Extraordinaire

Post by trainman »

My father is originally from Short Hills, but I agree, that really should have been a bottom-row clue.
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I originally thought van Gogh for FJ, but changed because I thought he died in a field after being shot and didn't think he had a death bed.

Went with Hugo for French and Sadness = Les Miserables. Oh well.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

Dreyfus wasn't a bad guess, and I considered it, but thought it was too early. Surprised to see a TS in final on this one.

The stakes of doubling up on DD1 in the second round are huge when you're playing Amy. You can see how quickly she puts it out of reach. That's hard in a game like this where both DJ DDs were difficult (to me, at least) and the first one uncovered was harder than the second.

The machine keeps going.
Last edited by Picked Off on Tue Jan 11, 2022 9:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
John Boy

Post by John Boy »

After blanking on Heyerdahl last week, I gave my brain the vacation it needed. I was rewarded with an almost-insta-get on Van Gogh. OK, it wasn't an absolute "I KNOW THAT!" but it all fit together and I was pretty solid on my choice.

I'm pretty sure I'll never be a J! millionaire (or play center field for the Yankees for that matter---I've learned to temper my life ambitions).
So to answer a FJ correctly when three actual contestants (including an actual J! millionaire) all whiff on it, well, that's my claim to fame for this month.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

This game was an absolute clunker overall in my opinion. The writing was really strange and at times incomprehensible.

Then of course it was an instaget FJ for me, because well, every FJ Amy has missed has been, because the world likes to toy with me. Ahh luck of the draw.
Golf

Post by Golf »

Golf wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 2:12 pm On DD David wagered $4000 of a possible $5400. Had he answered correctly, going into FJ he would have had $12600 to Amy's $25800, short of having a chance. Had he wagered properly, all $5400, he would have had $14000 and actually still been in the game.
Volante wrote: Mon Jan 10, 2022 11:04 pm I do so love these bulletins from The Fantasy Dispatch (soon to be a major motion picture by Wes Anderson)
Probably just as much as I love reading about random Coryat scores from the comfort of a couch. I'd rather discuss strategy and how to win, but am obviously in the minority here. Also why so few contestants don't know how to play.
Since he got it wrong, per you, your proper wager would be $5
so, by your math, Amy should bet $16,200
These comments are just (OK, I'll be nice) inaccurate. Assuming most here also realize such.