Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Re: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
BROADWAY MUSICALS

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
Each in a show that ran more than 2 years, Ethel Merman & Sarah Jessica Parker played 2 different characters with this first name

Amy Schneider: 42400-20000=22400 (30x = $1,057,800)
Steve Chanderbhan: 9500-500=9000
Brigid Hogan: 2600-2000=600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Annie (Amy – Rose) (Steve – Melissa) (Brigid – Mary)

Daily Doubles
Amy: 7000+3000
Amy: 16400+6000
Steve: 4600+2500

Coryats
Amy: 35000
Steve: 8200
Brigid: 2600

Combined: 45,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Amy: 14800
Steve: 200
Brigid: 1000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken opened with a list of other 29s to go along with Amy's wins. I've always like the cribbage one even though I've never been so lucky.

Ken also had fun with the JOHN F. KENNEDY category in reading a couple of the clues sounding more like Mayor Quimby.

The airing cut out a couple of times making a few clues a mystery. I'll archive around it and fill in the blanks later.

The FJ! clue has me shaking my head at myself. The first thing I thought of was the right one for Merman, sort of, as I had the musical. Unfortunately, I was only hearing her in my head singing one of the songs and it was just today that I learned she had the lead. Movies are the not the same as Broadway and I failed the chance to solve the clue.

Off that track I never got to thinking about SJP's role. Somewhere over the decades I must have heard, read or seen that nugget while today it was not handy.

Instead I was left trying to find something plausible to guess. I dismissed Molly (Brown) and the musical Gypsy. Needing something quick to write I wrote Mame. :oops:

Once again, learning nothing from yesterday, I made a clue more difficult than it needed to be and looking past having a lot of the necessary information already at hand. For me it can be tough on BROADWAY MUSICALS to keep movie images from clouding my thinking.

At least the penalty is small from home while for Amy's it's a lot more real on the stage. Ouch.
ACW

Post by ACW »

That's an awkward FJ clue. Did EACH play TWO separate characters, or did they each play a different character.

Maybe reword it like "Ethel Merman & Sarah Jessica Parker played a different character with this first name, each in a show that ran more than 2 years"
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

For me, the Final was as simple as, "What Broadway role is Sarah Jessica Parker famed for?" I didn't even think of what the Merman character could have been until after the 30 seconds was up. I did briefly start considering whether the correct response could have been "Dolly". Merman's last Broadway role was as Dolly Levi. According to this article, she played the role for only three months.

If I can critique ACW's suggestion, the singular wording "a different character" still suggests that it's one and the same character being portrayed by both performers. You need to have "characters", plural.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm For me, the Final was as simple as, "What Broadway role is Sarah Jessica Parker famed for?" I didn't even think of what the Merman character could have been until after the 30 seconds was up. I did briefly start considering whether the correct response could have been "Dolly". Merman's last Broadway role was as Dolly Levi. According to this article, she played the role for only three months.

If I can critique ACW's suggestion, the singular wording "a different character" still suggests that it's one and the same character being portrayed by both performers. You need to have "characters", plural.

For me, it was "give a first name that is common to two pretty well-known female Broadway characters." With my extremely limited musical theatre knowledge, I could only think of one that fit the bill.
ACW

Post by ACW »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm For me, the Final was as simple as, "What Broadway role is Sarah Jessica Parker famed for?" I didn't even think of what the Merman character could have been until after the 30 seconds was up. I did briefly start considering whether the correct response could have been "Dolly". Merman's last Broadway role was as Dolly Levi. According to this article, she played the role for only three months.

That's fair...honestly, there's no great way to do it.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

In previous posts I've mentioned that I very rarely look ahead at the line-up for the week's worth of players while others look at all five days as soon as it is released.

It's only now that I've seen the names of the players for Wednesday in preparing my scoresheet for tomorrow. :o
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:25 pm In previous posts I've mentioned that I very rarely look ahead at the line-up for the week's worth of players while others look at all five days as soon as it is released.

It's only now that I've seen the names of the players for Wednesday in preparing my scoresheet for tomorrow. :o
Not sure I follow........
Ancient Mariner

Post by Ancient Mariner »

After starting her run with a formidable streak of correct FJ responses, as Ken noted at one point, Amy seems to have hit a temporary bad patch. This has brought her average per game winnings down to $35,260 - certainly not bad (still #3 among champions with more than ten wins), but at this rate she won't catch Matt Amodio until her 44th win. I'm hoping she makes it!
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

mas3cf wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:31 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 3:25 pm In previous posts I've mentioned that I very rarely look ahead at the line-up for the week's worth of players while others look at all five days as soon as it is released.

Not sure I follow........
You're not the only one...

An Emma beat James and an Emma is playing tomorrow. That's it. It's a lower mentality type post that I should avoid here.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 4:37 pm An Emma beat James and an Emma is playing tomorrow. That's it. It's a lower mentality type post that I should avoid here.
I was thinking of Amy/Emma/Ally along the lines of Uma/Oprah.

Those three names all sound similar, kind of sounds like a host's nightmare in a fast paced environment. Might be some retakes involved of the host screwing up a name.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

Categories to run away from, with good reason. :roll:
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm For me, the Final was as simple as, "What Broadway role is Sarah Jessica Parker famed for?" I didn't even think of what the Merman character could have been until after the 30 seconds was up. I did briefly start considering whether the correct response could have been "Dolly". Merman's last Broadway role was as Dolly Levi.
Dolly was what I had. I didn't even know Sarah Jessica Parker was on Broadway.
Leander

Post by Leander »

econgator wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 7:31 pm
Robert K S wrote: Tue Jan 11, 2022 2:20 pm For me, the Final was as simple as, "What Broadway role is Sarah Jessica Parker famed for?" I didn't even think of what the Merman character could have been until after the 30 seconds was up. I did briefly start considering whether the correct response could have been "Dolly". Merman's last Broadway role was as Dolly Levi.
Dolly was what I had. I didn't even know Sarah Jessica Parker was on Broadway.
I didn’t know or remember that SJP had been on Broadway either, but I figured it must have been as a child actor, which led me to Annie as a first guess and I knew Merman had been in Annie Get Your Gun.
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

I matched Amy in FJ. I figured Merman had done Gypsy Rose Lee. No clue on SJP. Wasn’t there a musical Titanic? Well, there was, but it wasn’t based on the movie and she wasn’t in it.

I’m guessing Melissa is Steve’s wife.

I agree FJ could have been worded better.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what even could I have put down as a WAG?

You know, other than "Amy is ^$&*@ing awesome".
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

36 right.

Lach Trash: PT-109, Beverly Hills

FJ: :( (Carrie)