Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Danmel
Valued Contributor

Re: Tuesday, January 11, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Danmel »

All I could think of for Sarah Jessica Parker was "How to Succed in Business " which I saw her in with Matthew Broderick before they were married, probably in the late eighties but I couldn't remember her character's name. Didn't think Annie get your Gun" for Ethel Merman. All I had was this scene from Airplane!

This clue ended a pretty good streak for me.
davey
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by davey »

I had an unfair advantage on this FJ, since more than 40 years ago, when I took my sister to see Annie, a memorable little girl named Sarah Jessica Parker was playing the part. It should be mentioned that she did not originate the role - that was Andrea McArdle - but it started the upward trajectory of her career. The sitcom Square Pegs came a couple of years later...
Parker has been on Broadway 3 other times, including starring in a 90s revival of Once Upon a Mattress. She's scheduled to be back there soon with her husband in a revival of Neil Simon's Plaza Suite.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Somehow I've associated Merman with 'No Business...' from long long ago (so, not from Airplane). No idea where from either.
But luckily it was enough to trip face first into a correct.
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

Melissa? :shock:

Melissa? :roll:

Ethel Merman played a character named Melissa?

Melissa wasn't even a name when Ethel Merman was active on Broadway. Or if it was, it was the name of a little girl born at least fifty years after Ethel.

I had that clue solved before the think music started. I came up with these names of characters that Merman played in Broadway musicals: Annie, Sally, Rose. Then I thought of one of those that Sarah Jessica Parker also played. Done.

Melissa? πŸ™„

Jeopardy is broken. It isn't supposed to be one super champ after another.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

floridagator wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm Melissa? :shock:

Melissa wasn't even a name when Ethel Merman was active on Broadway. Or if it was, it was the name of a little girl born at least fifty years after Ethel.

I had that clue solved before the think music started. I came up with these names of characters that Merman played in Broadway musicals: Annie, Sally, Rose. Then I thought of one of those that Sarah Jessica Parker also played. Done.

Melissa? πŸ™„

Steve bet 500 on the FJ! clue and had second place locked up with no chance to win. He can write whatever he wants. Wife, mom, daughter, friend, fiance, niece, dog, cat... it does not matter.

He likely got a shout out in though without being able to verbally acknowledge it since the action is somewhere from discouraged to prohibited.

Was Steve really trying to solve the clue and actually came up with Melissa as some kind of legitimate guess? Unlikely.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

floridagator wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm Melissa wasn't even a name when Ethel Merman was active on Broadway. Or if it was, it was the name of a little girl born at least fifty years after Ethel.
FG, I am shocked, shocked that you wouldn't know Melissa from "The Cinnamon Bear" (1937) or from Gilbert and Sullivan's "Princess Ida" (1884)!
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

floridagator wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm Melissa? :shock:

Melissa? πŸ™„

The game has changed since Alex left. I wonder if the ratings go up when there are super champs playing.

The thing I wonder about is how Schneider could know difficult answers and not know easy ones such as Bruno Hauptman a few days ago.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

57 R (Missed TV One-Word Titles $600 & $800 and Movies by Antagonist $1600.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

Got Final Jeopardy because I knew SJP had played Annie, and then vaguely associated Ethel Merman with Annie, Get Your Gun. Nice to get 2 FJ's in a row, after a bad couple of weeks (we'll see how the rest of the week goes).
I can't help feeling sorry for Amy's opponents.
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I would have liked to have seen more of Brigid from Door County. Her interview had me thinking, there must be something more.
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

At one point I was 0 for 17 in Theater since I joined Learned League. I did, however WAG 'Annie" as my guess tonight as the only female name I could produce that might be famous enough to have a star actress. I expect to be defended with only zeroes from now on :lol:.

I am 13R/17W against 23R/7W for Amy in the 30 game run in FJ. But in the last 15 games, I am 8R / 7W vs. her 9R / 6W. Five of my last eight gets were missed by Amy and tere were only two common gets. I'd have been the perfect wingman except for the fat teenager and drunk musicians.
If anyone is interested in tallying their makes against her misses, the list is spoilered.

Alert: FJ answers from Amy Schneider games:
Spoiler
Game 5: Ottawa (tfb miss)
Game 16: Steeplechase
Game 18: Mt. Everest
Game 23: Lennon/McCarthy (tfb miss)
Game 25: Circus
Game 29: Van Gogh
Game 30: Annie
I don't subscribe to conspiracy theories. We've seen a rash of superchamps. I'd be surprised if it helps ratings to have superchamps anymore. It's the PowerBall Lottery effect - people don't get excited about a measly 400 million dollar pot.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

"There's No Business Like Show Business" was the only song I could recall Ethel Merman singing, but I couldn't say what show it came from. Sarah Jessica Parker having played Orphan Annie isn't news to me, but it wasn't something I remembered during the Think music. I needed the clue to specify title characters, so I could focus on titles rather than spin my wheels on the actresses.
Rackme32
Three-time Failer Of The Online Jeopardy! Test

Post by Rackme32 »

PeteMoss wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:31 pm The thing I wonder about is how Schneider could know difficult answers and not know easy ones such as Bruno Hauptman a few days ago.
The one that surprised me tonight was a three-player Stand-n-Stare on P.T.109.
da Doctah

Post by da Doctah »

Amazingly (considering how poorly I did in general tonight), I knew six of the clues identified as "triple stumpers". I'm very surprised that nobody even wanted to guess the "dark" name of the first postage stamp.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Rackme32 wrote: ↑Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:55 am
PeteMoss wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:31 pm The thing I wonder about is how Schneider could know difficult answers and not know easy ones such as Bruno Hauptman a few days ago.
Seriously.

As for Melissa, a guess is better than leaving it blank, no matter how bad that guess is.

And as for superchamps, my theory is that we know in the past they have not given interviews to people scoring in the high 40s or 50 on the test in order to avoid exactly what we're seeing now. Maybe they have re-thought that approach to selecting contestants.
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

No signs of slowing down. She is getting two players' worth of clues right.

Got the FJ after realizing Gypsy was a "rose" herring.
Season 27 player and lifelong fan
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

floridagator wrote: ↑Tue Jan 11, 2022 11:06 pm

Plenty of talk around about "why all the superchamps this season", but after all these years of unlimited winnings, and with the show now being able to find more contestants, I'm thinking this is more like an aberration due to circumstances instead of a new normal.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Woof
Swimming in the Jeopardy! Pool

Post by Woof »

alietr wrote: ↑Wed Jan 12, 2022 6:14 am
Seriously.

As for Melissa, a guess is better than leaving it blank, no matter how bad that guess is.

And as for superchamps, my theory is that we know in the past they have not given interviews to people scoring in the high 40s or 50 on the test in order to avoid exactly what we're seeing now. Maybe they have re-thought that approach to selecting contestants.
Since AP and Schliemann have yet to get the call, I'm not so sure about that...
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

People's exhibit __ for Amy having some kind of weakness on presidential fun facts and common nuggets associated with the guys. It's easy to correct it compared to Matt getting up to speed to match Jonathan on the fun stuff.
davey

Post by davey »

Here's my rewrite of the FJ clue. I think the numbers served to obfuscate more than clarify.
Each in a different hit show, Ethel Merman & Sarah Jessica Parker played title characters with this first name