Wednesday, January 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

RetiredDoc
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Wednesday, January 12, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by RetiredDoc »

Another correct response to FJ by thinking of Stephen Douglas, and stopped there. Since the first name wasn’t required, it worked
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Someone was having fun with the wordplay category. For the French parks you could go with either the French spelling "parcs" or the English spelling "parks", both one letter off from "Paris". And then you could pair Galilee with either the first name or last name of Galileo Galilei.
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

Did anyone else do what I did and pause on the FJ! response of Douglass with 1.5 of the letter s and wonder if they were going to accept it? Spelling doesn't count in Final so even though the clue told you it ends in a double "S", they still have to take Douglas for Douglass.

But does that extra half letter which is not actually a letter in itself have any impact? I suppose you'd get in more trouble if you made half of an "m"* or half of a "w" but since half an "s" doesn't really amount to anything she got away with it.

*But then again if I say "who is Jon Hamn", it rhymes with damn so it still seems correct!
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

re: Iron Man $200 -- I was at that game. I remember the lineups came up on the scoreboard, and all of a sudden there was this murmuring that started spreading throughout the stadium. I was looking around going "What? What?" and then I glanced at the scoreboard and realized Cal wasn't playing. I was heartbroken since I had never seen an O's game without him (and that was with 16 years of regular attendance). It was quite the momentous game.
davey

Post by davey »

I feel I must have read this anecdote at some point, but I didn't think of any famous 19th C. final double ss's in the :30... :oops: (Are there any others?) I find most interesting that they accepted a single s response when the clue specified a spelling element. I'm not sure I would. But kudos to Emma for being right.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 am Did anyone else do what I did and pause on the FJ! response of Douglass with 1.5 of the letter s and wonder if they were going to accept it? Spelling doesn't count in Final so even though the clue told you it ends in a double "S", they still have to take Douglas for Douglass.
I did. I also predict there are lots of comments on the Jeopardy! Facebook page saying they shouldn't have taken it. I don't have the willpower to go there and look, though. :)
heppm01

Post by heppm01 »

MarkBarrett wrote: Wed Jan 12, 2022 1:44 pm...it could have helped if I had known the Scott work had nothing to do with the King Arthur area. :oops:
Same here. I spent 20 seconds sifting through Arthurian lore before abandoning it in favor of random "...ss" names. That didn't work either.
georgetrev
Contributor

Post by georgetrev »

The first-ever box score in J! history has been posted.

davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:52 am
jeff6286 wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 5:22 am Did anyone else do what I did and pause on the FJ! response of Douglass with 1.5 of the letter s and wonder if they were going to accept it? Spelling doesn't count in Final so even though the clue told you it ends in a double "S", they still have to take Douglas for Douglass.
I did. I also predict there are lots of comments on the Jeopardy! Facebook page saying they shouldn't have taken it. I don't have the willpower to go there and look, though. :)
I don't want to go to FB either, but I think it is arguable that the clue seems to set up a condition that supersedes the normal spelling rule.
yclept

Post by yclept »

This was a game where you could see Amy losing. If Ally hits that DD, she takes the lead.
Can we say for sure that the rest of the round would have played out like it did if she got it right? Can the frustration of missing that DD get Ally off her game, at least temporarily? The key to her winning this game was a situation where she could bet very small in FJ and force Amy to get it right. So it may not have taken much for that to happen,
Alas, we will never know.
Amy, despite a recent FJ slump, is just dominating the main game. Last night was the rare situation during her run where you could actually think about how she could have lost without needing to grasp at too many straws.
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

georgetrev wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:37 am The first-ever box score in J! history has been posted.

Do you suppose there might have been something in that blank space in the Game Totals row before the Sony lawyers took a look? :D
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:59 am
I don't want to go to FB either, but I think it is arguable that the clue seems to set up a condition that supersedes the normal spelling rule.
I think it helped that she had enough of the second "S" to make it clear she realized his named was spelled "Douglass."
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:42 pm
davey wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 11:59 am
I think it helped that she had enough of the second "S" to make it clear she realized his named was spelled "Douglass."
Yes, that would make it harder to take it away from her...There's also the example of a clue that specifies a "3-named person." That happened in the game before this one. Amy gave one name and was given the points. That happens pretty often, I think, and it doesn't bother me. So maybe I'm just being mean to think Emma's points should have been taken away... :twisted:
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

alietr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 am re: Iron Man $200 -- I was at that game. I remember the lineups came up on the scoreboard, and all of a sudden there was this murmuring that started spreading throughout the stadium. I was looking around going "What? What?" and then I glanced at the scoreboard and realized Cal wasn't playing. I was heartbroken since I had never seen an O's game without him (and that was with 16 years of regular attendance). It was quite the momentous game.
When I was young, my mother got me a book at the library that was about baseball. It was written for adults, but I remember it being a rather easy read.

I don’t recall much about it other than it was a collection of stories. But the part I do remember is the author telling the story of being at the game as a child where Lou Gehrig’s streak ended and hearing the lineup announced without him in it. Pretty neat you were at the Ripken game and now I have read first hand accounts of both.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Bamaman wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:54 pm
alietr wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:46 am re: Iron Man $200 -- I was at that game. I remember the lineups came up on the scoreboard, and all of a sudden there was this murmuring that started spreading throughout the stadium. I was looking around going "What? What?" and then I glanced at the scoreboard and realized Cal wasn't playing. I was heartbroken since I had never seen an O's game without him (and that was with 16 years of regular attendance). It was quite the momentous game.
When I was young, my mother got me a book at the library that was about baseball. It was written for adults, but I remember it being a rather easy read.

I don’t recall much about it other than it was a collection of stories. But the part I do remember is the author telling the story of being at the game as a child where Lou Gehrig’s streak ended and hearing the lineup announced without him in it. Pretty neat you were at the Ripken game and now I have read first hand accounts of both.
I failed to add that the crowd then gave him an extended standing ovation. It was quite a feat. The funny thing was that the people who were at the previous day's game had no idea they had seen a momentous occasion as well.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »