Thursday, January 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

mxc_takeshi
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Thursday, January 13, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by mxc_takeshi »

27 right.

Lach Trash: the 1970s, What's Going On, the Buddha

FJ: :(

Good effort, Cory!
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:02 pm Give me Clark's response, or give me Cory's response.
Having now watched the show, I'm glad Ken picked up on the incorrect response pattern and supplied the appropriate remark.
davey

Post by davey »

I said a sword, thinking sword of justice. I should have known to place Hugo in his milieu to get to the right kind of blade... :x
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

So what was the tipoff for this anyway? I've looked over and over everything and I don't see anything connecting Hugo to guillotines, nor any way to connect him.
Linear Gnome
One Miner Gal

Post by Linear Gnome »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:25 pm
Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 2:02 pm Give me Clark's response, or give me Cory's response.
Having now watched the show, I'm glad Ken picked up on the incorrect response pattern and supplied the appropriate remark.
Yes, Ken provides a significant amount of value added on a regular basis. I am hoping that, some day, he will receive a promotion from "hosting".

For the last several weeks, I've been doing pretty dismally on FJ!, but I'm 4 for 4 so far this week...the oddest thing about that is that Amy is 1 for 4 on the same clues. For me, today's was in the category of "it's either <correct response> or I have no idea, let's go with <correct response>". It was the only plausible object I could think of.

Brief response to TPH: I tried to name something French that dispenses extreme justice.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

triviawayne wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:37 am Thank you for having a place for box score, I came in here to ask if that could be added so I wouldn't have to remember to go to the J site while looking at the daily thread.

All the work done here really adds to watching the game, thank you again.
Gonna be damn hard to dethrone someone who tries ringing in on 1.5x as many clues as the challengers...
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm So what was the tipoff for this anyway? I've looked over and over everything and I don't see anything connecting Hugo to guillotines, nor any way to connect him.
Victor Hugo is French. Was enough for me to make the connection.
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

58 R (Negged Chadwick Boseman and couldn't get the Marvin Gaye Album.)
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:27 pm
Brief response to TPH: I tried to name something French that dispenses extreme justice.
Zinedine Zidane?
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 9:25 pm
Major props to Ken J for the quick wit, even if he was spotted a few seconds of knowledge of the answers before the TV reveal. I was too busy wondering whether they were on the right track with non-objects to piece together the joke opportunity.
Linear Gnome wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:27 pm For the last several weeks, I've been doing pretty dismally on FJ!, but I'm 4 for 4 so far this week...the oddest thing about that is that Amy is 1 for 4 on the same clues. For me, today's was in the category of "it's either <correct response> or I have no idea, let's go with <correct response>". It was the only plausible object I could think of.

I've already bragged/commented about my track record on Amy's misses. I think it might be a situation of osmosis-acquired trivia knowledge vs. drilled-in trivia knowledge from lists and mining. No doubt Amy is strong in both, but ignorance may be my friend since I only new two of six correct cold, and the other four were landed WAGs.

In case you want to check your total anti-Amy performance (eight misses so far) FJ GAME SPOILERS since Amy game 15:
Spoiler
Game 5: Ottawa (tfb miss)
Game 16: Steeplechase
Game 18: Mt. Everest
Game 23: Lennon/McCarthy (tfb miss)
Game 25: Circus
Game 29: Van Gogh
Game 30: Annie
Game 31: Douglass
Tonight's game didn't add to my wingman resume, but I WAG'd Guillotine based on being French, and a physical object. The early reveals had me in doubt. I'm at 4/4 this week, so bring on the Opera category tomorrow :(.
The game was fun to watch early, then not so much when the mini-gun opened up out of the Huey doors (I fact checked this ;)).
pacdude wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 pm I'll be honest, I racked my brain trying to think of any actual objects. I knew it was a lock and I knew I didn't know the answer so I went for something that'd be funny to write on Jeopardy. No harm, no foul, and now I have a meme to use lol
Thanks for playing and thanks for sharing! You were fun to watch!
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

pacdude wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 1:45 pm I'll be honest, I racked my brain trying to think of any actual objects. I knew it was a lock and I knew I didn't know the answer so I went for something that'd be funny to write on Jeopardy. No harm, no foul, and now I have a meme to use lol
Nice job tonight, Cory.

I thought of guillotine a few seconds in and that seemed right. I wouldn't have been shocked if it was wrong.
PeteMoss
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by PeteMoss »

Robert K S wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 7:54 pm Sweepstakes alert: before tonight's Final, a voiceover by Sarah Whitcomb Foss announced an Alaska trip sweepstakes starting next week. Based on the fine print, it looks like it will run two weeks. Can't find anything about it on the official website just yet.
The contest is on WOF.
mikebdoss

Post by mikebdoss »

I don't remember which high school English teacher taught "Les Miserables" to me, but she made a very specific point to have us examine the meaning of the passage used in FJ tonight. We had to write an essay about it. I guess that's stuck with me 25 years later.
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

I was having trouble coming up with the FJ answer, but when I focused on “object”, guillotine popped into my mind and I went with that.
tddeveryday
DIY Problem Solver

Post by tddeveryday »

Good work, Cory. You're so far the only challenger this week who scored a $10,000+ Coryat.

Blegh! I am 0/4 on FJ! this week. If I don't solve tomorrow's clue, this will be my first 0/5 of the season. (My guess was "gun." Wrong killing device.)

Whenever I watch Jeopardy!, I like to figure out what my score might be at each DD and for FJ. I multiply my Coryat by 0.54 and then make a wager based on the estimated money I have available. I took the "0.54" from Karl Coryat's old Coryat explanation, where he guesses that three players who are equally fast on the buzzer would each probably get about 54% of the clues they try to buzz in on.

The Buzz% stats could drastically change that old idea. Right now, we have five players' Buzz% to work with. For the sake of convenience, here are those five stats:

Amy: 65%* (based on only two games of data)
Cory: 59%
Ally: 45%
Clark: 28%
Emma: 21%

*Edit: I messed up slightly. 70% was Amy's Buzz percentage for Wednesday's game only. Combining Wednesday and Thursday, her percentage is 65%.

Those five stats average out to 44%, not 54% as Karl Coryat once guessed. Two obvious notes to make here: 1) These are not typical games because at this point, the returning champion has 30+ games of experience, which is extremely uncommon. 2) A lot more data would be helpful in making the estimates more accurate.

But if, like me, you've tried to figure out how you would fare against Amy Schneider in these recent games, a good way to figure that out might be to take the average Buzz% of Amy's challengers and multiply your Coryat by that number instead of 0.54. The average for those four challengers is 38%. Just something to think about.
Last edited by tddeveryday on Fri Jan 14, 2022 1:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My lucky numbers are 6, 66, and 666.
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Box score is in (for those who don't usually go back to the first page of the thread).
alietr
Site Admin

Post by alietr »

Sorry you weren't able to bring her down, Cory, but it certainly looked like you were going to come close. At least you matched Amy's buzzer ability, and that's no small feat. I have no idea who the CCs are nowadays, but you would have been a dream candidate when Maggie was around. You looked like you had (frustrating) fun up there.
CailinGaoilge
Location: Ontario, Canada; formerly resident in UK and Ireland

Post by CailinGaoilge »

Spum wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:35 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu Jan 13, 2022 10:23 pm So what was the tipoff for this anyway? I've looked over and over everything and I don't see anything connecting Hugo to guillotines, nor any way to connect him.
Victor Hugo is French. Was enough for me to make the connection.
Plus he was born 20+ years after the French Revolution - mass use of the guillotine was very much in recent memory. That's what gave it to me.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

tddeveryday wrote: Fri Jan 14, 2022 5:32 am Good work, Cory. You're so far the only challenger this week who scored a $10,000+ Coryat.

Blegh! I am 0/4 on FJ! this week. If I don't solve tomorrow's clue, this will be my first 0/5 of the season. (My guess was "gun." Wrong killing device.)

Whenever I watch Jeopardy!, I like to figure out what my score might be at each DD and for FJ. I multiply my Coryat by 0.54 and then make a wager based on the estimated money I have available. I took the "0.54" from Karl Coryat's old Coryat explanation, where he guesses that three players who are equally fast on the buzzer would each probably get about 54% of the clues they try to buzz in on.

The Buzz% stats could drastically change that old idea. Right now, we have five players' Buzz% to work with. For the sake of convenience, here are those five stats:

Amy: 70% (based on only two games of data)
Cory: 59%
Ally: 45%
Clark: 28%
Emma: 21%

Those five stats average out to 45%, not 54% as Karl Coryat once guessed. Two obvious notes to make here: 1) These are not typical games because at this point, the returning champion has 30+ games of experience, which is extremely uncommon. 2) A lot more data would be helpful in making the estimates more accurate.

But if, like me, you've tried to figure out how you would fare against Amy Schneider in these recent games, a good way to figure that out might be to take the average Buzz% of Amy's challengers and multiply your Coryat by that number instead of 0.54. The average for those four challengers is 38%. Just something to think about.
Against a superchamp like Amy, even if the players don't know anything about her going in, it becomes obvious what they're up against when they hear the win total and dollar amount. Cory can confirm what the thought process of a player might be going into that situation, but I know if it were me, I would become more aggressive on the buzzer than I might be against a more normal player; meaning I would take more chances when I think I might know the answer instead of maybe holding back so as not to have too many wrong answers in a game.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Picked Off
Jeopardy! Contestant

Post by Picked Off »

FJ clicked in after a few seconds. Any reason the category was what it was as opposed to Literature?

Congrats on a job well done, Cory.

I said "non-native" for "noxious."
Season 27 player and lifelong fan