Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by doihavetoreally »

Finally Sarah shows up with some indication of gameplay strategy and she almost had a lock.
Looking at her struggle during FJ! made the final reveal undramatic.

Mattea can stop adding 'if this is it...' stuff to FJ! We get it by now.

Is Forbes Ave. Pavlov for Pittsburgh? No idea, unless it was in news when taping occurred.

I'll have to check the archive later, but did they say 1953 for old man and sea? Isn't it 1952?
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
theFJguy

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
20th CENTURY CINEMA

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
A black & white newsreel in this film begins: "In Xanadu did Kubla Khan a stately pleasure dome decree"

Mattea Roach: 13000+12999=25999 (23x = $560,983)
T.J. Lovejoy: minus 3600
Sarah Snider: 22600-5000=17600

Correct response:
Spoiler
Citizen Kane ( Mattea – If this is it, thanks for the fun!) (Sarah – What is?)

Daily Doubles
Sarah: 2200+2000
Mattea: 8600-2000
Sarah: 17600+5000

Coryats
Mattea: 15000
T.J.: minus 3600
Sarah: 17400

Combined: 28,800

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Mattea: 5000
T.J.: 400
Sarah: 8000
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Ken did not do any Rev. Lovejoy jokes today with T.J. Lovejoy playing. :(

Yesterday Mattea guessed Forbes when it was the other magazine. Today Forbes bit Mattea on DD2 for a basic city Pavlov. Only betting the pretty 2K saved Mattea's streak.

Sarah led 17600 to 11400 to minus 2000 at DD3. Adding 5000 increased the lead, but did not give her a runaway at the point. Mattea, on this day, says gracias.

It's easy if you know it. Mattea knew the FJ! clue and I was done writing before Ken finished reading the clue. Movies have a long tradition of biting J! players and today it cost Sarah. It was obvious Sarah was lost on the clue and that Mattea would win, early during the music.

Sarah can make the excuse that she has never seen the film. I'll poll solving the clue and not having seen the film and there will be a fair sampling of voters checking the box.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 pm Sarah led 17600 to 11400 to minus 2000 at DD3. Adding 5000 increased the lead, but did not give her a runaway at the point. Mattea, on this day, says gracias.
Yet another contestant playing not to lose against a 22-time champion instead of playing to win. Of course the DD3 wager should not surprise anybody after leaving $200 on the table on DD1.

I think this is the third time a contestant has let Mattea up off the mat when she should have been toast.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm Finally Sarah shows up with some indication of gameplay strategy and she almost had a lock.

Is Forbes Ave. Pavlov for Pittsburgh? No idea, unless it was in news when taping occurred.

I'll have to check the archive later, but did they say 1953 for old man and sea? Isn't it 1952?
Forbes field is where the Pirates played before Three Rivers.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
countyguy
Vacuously Undefeated on J!

Post by countyguy »

I think I can guess what the FJ! clue tomorrow will be.

For Mattea’s first two games, the Jeopardy website displayed the wrong NYT clue of the day. For Mattea’s first game, it displayed this FJ! I’m guessing the clue they showed on the day of Mattea’s second game will be tomorrow’s FJ!
Spoiler
And although it’s probably a coincidence, when considering the GMA appearance (which people made a big deal about on Reddit) and other things that have been interpreted as spoilers that she loses soon, could there have been another mixup where they swapped Mattea’s first two FJ! clues with her last two?
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Not having seen the movie either, and not having any other response, my answer of "Caligula" might have been censored...
Total game show career losings = $171,522
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 pm It's easy if you know it. Mattea knew the FJ! clue and I was done writing before Ken finished reading the clue. Movies have a long tradition of biting J! players and today it cost Sarah. It was obvious Sarah was lost on the clue and that Mattea would win, early during the music.

Sarah can make the excuse that she has never seen the film. I'll poll solving the clue and not having seen the film and there will be a fair sampling of voters checking the box.
You know that Cinema & everything movie-related is a weakness for me. Never saw the movie, but the Xanadu reference made this an instaget. :mrgreen:
doihavetoreally

DBear wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 pm It's easy if you know it. Mattea knew the FJ! clue and I was done writing before Ken finished reading the clue. Movies have a long tradition of biting J! players and today it cost Sarah. It was obvious Sarah was lost on the clue and that Mattea would win, early during the music.

You know that Cinema & everything movie-related is a weakness for me. Never saw the movie, but the Xanadu reference made this an instaget. :mrgreen:
Ditto.
Citizen Kane is consistently rated as the best movie ever. So, you need to know little bit about it if you are getting on J!
doihavetoreally

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:58 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm Finally Sarah shows up with some indication of gameplay strategy and she almost had a lock.

Forbes field is where the Pirates played before Three Rivers.
Oh ok. Thanks.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

AndyTheQuizzer
Lots and Lots of Interviews

Post by AndyTheQuizzer »

countyguy wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:00 pm I think I can guess what the FJ! clue tomorrow will be.

For Mattea’s first two games, the Jeopardy website displayed the wrong NYT clue of the day. For Mattea’s first game, it displayed this FJ! I’m guessing the clue they showed on the day of Mattea’s second game will be tomorrow’s FJ!
Spoiler
And although it’s probably a coincidence, when considering the GMA appearance (which people made a big deal about on Reddit) and other things that have been interpreted as spoilers that she loses soon, could there have been another mixup where they swapped Mattea’s first two FJ! clues with her last two?
If this is the case, it would be 100% coincidental. To me, the most likely instance is that the website operator typoed a date, typing 4/5 and 4/6 instead of 5/5 and 5/6.
Andy Saunders
J! Archive Founding Archivist
Publisher - The Jeopardy! Fan
Caboom

Post by Caboom »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm I'll have to check the archive later, but did they say 1953 for old man and sea? Isn't it 1952?
The category was "Describing the Pulitzer Fiction winner". The Old Man and the Sea won in 1953.
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

This is one of the most YEKIOYD FJ!s I've ever seen in my life. And I didn't.
doihavetoreally

Caboom wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:26 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm I'll have to check the archive later, but did they say 1953 for old man and sea? Isn't it 1952?
The category was "Describing the Pulitzer Fiction winner". The Old Man and the Sea won in 1953.
Ok that makes sense.
mahatma

Post by mahatma »

TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:27 pm This is one of the most YEKIOYD FJ!s I've ever seen in my life.
I think the aforementioned poll question (about solving FJ! without having seen the movie) will give the lie to this claim.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

over on Youtube, the conspiracy theorists are really coming out for this one... :roll: