Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Re: Thursday, May 5, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by triviawayne »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:51 pm
DBear wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 2:09 pm
MarkBarrett wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:42 pm It's easy if you know it. Mattea knew the FJ! clue and I was done writing before Ken finished reading the clue. Movies have a long tradition of biting J! players and today it cost Sarah. It was obvious Sarah was lost on the clue and that Mattea would win, early during the music.

Sarah can make the excuse that she has never seen the film. I'll poll solving the clue and not having seen the film and there will be a fair sampling of voters checking the box.
You know that Cinema & everything movie-related is a weakness for me. Never saw the movie, but the Xanadu reference made this an instaget. :mrgreen:
Ditto.
Citizen Kane is consistently rated as the best movie ever. So, you need to know little bit about it if you are getting on J!
If it wasn't taking me to Google for results, the archive would let me see how often it has come up in the past five years. I don't disagree with you, but I do feel pop culture has a shelf life, and this one is like a McDonald's container of fries on the pop culture shelf.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

Because of "a black and white newsreel" (are there color ones?), and not really knowing much about the movie in question, I tried to picture a newer (color) movie that would've had a newsreel in it. If not for that, maybe, just maybe, I would've been closer in the correct year for the movie and remembered the connection as I know I've heard of it.

Doubt it though...
MDCSWildcats86
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by MDCSWildcats86 »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm

Is Forbes Ave. Pavlov for Pittsburgh? No idea, unless it was in news when taping occurred.

Yes, it is. Until the late 1960s, the Pittsburgh Pirates played at Forbes Field
Bob78164
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Bob78164 »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pmFinally Sarah shows up with some indication of gameplay strategy and she almost had a lock.
Looking at her struggle during FJ! made the final reveal undramatic.

Mattea can stop adding 'if this is it...' stuff to FJ! We get it by now.

Is Forbes Ave. Pavlov for Pittsburgh? No idea, unless it was in news when taping occurred.

I'll have to check the archive later, but did they say 1953 for old man and sea? Isn't it 1952?
The Pittsburgh Pirates used to play in Forbes Field. --Bob
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:04 pm Because of "a black and white newsreel" (are there color ones?), and not really knowing much about the movie in question, I tried to picture a newer (color) movie that would've had a newsreel in it.
If that's the condition, I can think of Paddington and Up. Any others?

MOVIES THAT START WITH NEWSREELS would probably make a good regular-category list.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Robert K S wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:48 pm
triviawayne wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:04 pm Because of "a black and white newsreel" (are there color ones?), and not really knowing much about the movie in question, I tried to picture a newer (color) movie that would've had a newsreel in it.
If that's the condition, I can think of Paddington and Up. Any others?
MOVIES THAT START WITH NEWSREELS would probably make a good regular-category list.
This comes to mind.
Spoiler
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:27 pm

Last games there were June 28, 1970, a doubleheader sweep of the Cubs.

I have seen the movie twice and FJ was an instaget.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

mahatma wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:32 pm
TenPoundHammer wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 3:27 pm This is one of the most YEKIOYD FJ!s I've ever seen in my life.
I think the aforementioned poll question (about solving FJ! without having seen the movie) will give the lie to this claim.
I wouldn't think so. The claim is not You've Either Seen the Movie Or You Haven't. Those who haven't and who got the clue probably knew the trivia chestnut that Xanadu is the name of Kane's Hearst Castle. The only other way in is to know that Citizen Kane starts with a newsreel. That would be the poll option to give the lie to the claim: "I wasn't sure which movie was being referred to so I just guessed one that starts with a newsreel."
Leander

Post by Leander »

I fall into the camp of having seen the movie as a teenager, which was so long ago that I’ve forgotten almost everything about it, including that it started with a newsreel. However, I knew from any number of sources besides the actual movie that Xanadu was the name of Kane’s estate.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Bob78164 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:43 pm
doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pmFinally Sarah shows up with some indication of gameplay strategy and she almost had a lock.

I'll have to check the archive later, but did they say 1953 for old man and sea? Isn't it 1952?
The Pittsburgh Pirates used to play in Forbes Field. --Bob
MDCSWildcats86 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 4:27 pm

Thanks!
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

I don't mean to pile on, but "I've never seen Citizen Kane" is not a good enough excuse. Neither have I, but I still got Final.

And yeah, that DD3 wager... if you're not confident, it's not so bad to bet $5. But Sarah was clearly playing fantastically. She has to try and go for the win right there. The middle ground between $5 and a bet that ends the game on a get is never the correct choice.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

doihavetoreally wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 1:24 pm Finally Sarah shows up with some indication of gameplay strategy and she almost had a lock.

I thought Santiago/the Cuban was the key part.
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Rarely watch movies but I guess the third time's the charm for Mattea.
triviawayne

Post by triviawayne »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm I don't mean to pile on, but "I've never seen Citizen Kane" is not a good enough excuse. Neither have I, but I still got Final.

I've never been to Russia, but I know Moscow is the capital...yeah, that's what playing trivia is about. Yet here we are talking about a 80 year old movie, and Xanadu is not a tie that comes up often. The things to most know about the movie include are Hearst, Rosebud, Welles, 1941 release.

I can't tell you the last time I saw Xanadu linked to the movie.
Last edited by triviawayne on Thu May 05, 2022 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
SBurrus

Post by SBurrus »

FJ was an Instaget for me -- I guess age and experience has its advantage. I was kind of shocked, though, that Sarah had never seen Citizen Kane.

Exciting and dramatic win for Mattea, who trailed the entire game until the FJ reveal.
mas3cf

Post by mas3cf »

triviawayne wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:32 pm
BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm I don't mean to pile on, but "I've never seen Citizen Kane" is not a good enough excuse. Neither have I, but I still got Final.

I've never been to Russia, but I know Moscow is the capital...yeah, that's what playing trivia is about. Yet here we are talking about a 70 year old movie, and Xanadu is not a tie that comes up often. The things to most know about the movie include are Hearst, Rosebud, Welles, 1941 release.

I can't tell you the last time I saw Xanadu linked to the movie.
How am I supposed to know who the first president was? Never met the guy.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 8:18 pm And yeah, that DD3 wager... if you're not confident, it's not so bad to bet $5. But Sarah was clearly playing fantastically. She has to try and go for the win right there. The middle ground between $5 and a bet that ends the game on a get is never the correct choice.
Sarah had 17,400 while Mattea had 11,400. There will be 7200 in clues left. Two are in Astronomy, a weak category for Mattea. Take the shot! :geek:
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

I've seen Citizen Kane countless times and it's always mesmerizing. The way that Welles went about that film is just plain different. Instaget FJ.

I don't fault Sarah in the slightest for the $5,000 DD3 bet. It's a substantial wager that got her into 2/3rds, and she didn't want to risk her lead.
davey

Post by davey »

The first time I saw Citizen Kane as a child I turned on the TV a couple of minutes in to the late movie, not knowing what was on. I guess I had seen examples of the genre because I assumed I was watching a real 40s newsreel...It was a few minutes before I realized this was the movie made by that scary old man I'd seen on The Dick Cavett Show. The verisimilitude captured me, and the still startling filmmaking that begins when the newsreel runs out kept me watching. It still does for at least a few minutes every time I see it's on TCM...Does it need to be said that it's one of the most influential films in history?
BrigadierSolo13
Double Double Machine

Post by BrigadierSolo13 »

harrumph wrote: Thu May 05, 2022 9:11 pm I don't fault Sarah in the slightest for the $5,000 DD3 bet. It's a substantial wager that got her into 2/3rds, and she didn't want to risk her lead.
With her wager, an incorrect response leaves her with a $1200 dollar lead with $7200 worth of clues left on the board against a 22-game winner.

No, not good enough.