Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

doihavetoreally
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Re: Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by doihavetoreally »

triviawayne wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 2:57 pm If the Kentucky Derby wasn't tomorrow, I wouldn't have focused so much on "racetrack".

I know full well Coke = Atlanta, but quickly wrote Churchill and Downs before spending about 25 seconds staring at it and then realizing I was way off the path.

If this clue was on another day, it probably would've been a quick, but not instant solve
Mattea's response now makes sense to me. Good point. As soon as I realized Mattea didn't get it, I didn't pay much attention to her response.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
StevenH
Not J! Contestant Material

Post by StevenH »

I had the home field advantage along with Danielle on this FJ. I know that the Atlanta airport was the busiest airport in the world at one time (maybe it still is?), but pulling the airport's full name still seems tough for a non-Atlanta native. Though airports have never been my own strong suit when they have come up in trivia.

Congrats to Mattea on the run!
ACW

Post by ACW »

Mavory & Jorbles???
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

I know it's a "stupid answers" type of thing, but for PROTESTANTISM $1600, would Wesleyanism actually be wrong in place of Methodism? The wording was John & Charles Wesley founded this "ism" in the 18th century. There is a specific denomination called the Wesleyan Church that was founded in the 19th century, and not by the Wesley brothers, but more broadly, Wesleyanism can refer to their brand of theology, and the wording doesn't seem to exclude a system of thought as opposed to a specific denomination. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesleyan_theology

(I did get to the intended answer as I used to attend a Methodist church, but my wife answered the other way.)
Bamaman
Also Receiving Votes

Post by Bamaman »

Danielle probably should have gone all in on DD3. Had she done so, she can win without getting FJ right. I did like her FJ wager.

FJ took me a bit. I knew it was Atlanta but started with sports, but Fulton County Stadium was a dead end. (As it was for the teams that played there).

That got me to the airport. Hartsfield came quickly but it took me a bit to remember the second name as he is a relatively recent addition. Did get there in time, however.
The Talking Mime

Post by The Talking Mime »

I clearly did not get enough sleep last night because I couldn't remember for the life of me where to place Coca-Cola. Not too upset though since this was a clear miss for me either way. Couldn't even muster a guess.

Congrats to Mattea for her outstanding run and setting the bar very very high for future Canadians on the show. The fall ToC is gonna be epic.
"There is much pleasure to be gained from useless knowledge."
-Bertrand Russell
brick

Post by brick »

That was a really exciting game. I was actually pulling for the new champ, because she was trying so hard, and she really kept at it. I hope she continues to do well.
Fleeboy

Post by Fleeboy »

I've flown into Hartsfield-Jackson several times and drove past it only two weeks ago. Still couldn't pull the name of the second mayor without an assist from Fleegirl.

Terrific game to watch, even after I was spoiled on the outcome by an e-alert from the news organization for which I was once in charge of sending e-alerts.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

StevenH wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:00 pm I had the home field advantage along with Danielle on this FJ. I know that the Atlanta airport was the busiest airport in the world at one time (maybe it still is?)
Just got the title back after losing it for a couple years.

I've flown into ATL dozens of times, so there was no way I was missing this.
cf1140
Not Jeopardy! Material

Post by cf1140 »

Twenty bucks says Matt, Amy, and Mattea all fail to reach the TOC final.

(monopoly bucks)
jev15
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by jev15 »

At home I had a debate between Hartsfield and Hartfield which might have been panic inducing on stage.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

brick wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 8:07 pm That was a really exciting game. I was actually pulling for the new champ, because she was trying so hard, and she really kept at it. I hope she continues to do well.
I'm thinking one and done.

Also, just looked at the box score. Wow - out of all the games, Mattea loses this game? Well, good for her that at least this happened after 20+ games.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $32,600
44 R/6 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: lightning in a bottle, attachment, Mount Pinatubo, Methodism, quincentennial, Bausch & Lomb, Claudius, Quo Vadis

A little home cooking never hurt nobody.

I wasn''t spoiled by the NYT website or any news agencies, but when I checked JBoard at 7:30 pm on a Friday night and there were already 25 posts in this thread, I knew something was up. The combination of shock and joy that came over Danielle when she realized she had won was a sight to behold.

If you ever have a layover at Hartsfield-Jackson, an Uber ride over to Big Daddy's Soul Food is well worth your time and money.
Bamaman wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 6:06 pm Danielle probably should have gone all in on DD3. Had she done so, she can win without getting FJ right. I did like her FJ wager.
Agreed on both points.

Now that the show has had superchamps Matt and Mattea...just sayin'. ;)
Sprinkles are for winners.
mxc_takeshi

Post by mxc_takeshi »

25 right.

Lach Trash: lightning in a bottle, Mount Pinatubo, non-conference, Claudius

FJ: :mrgreen:

Great run, Mattea!
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

Make it one more for Churchill and Downs. At least I matched a 23 game superchamp. If I'd focused on the Coca-Cola TOM I would have rebooted my thinking to Atlanta, but asfik the airport name is Hartsfeld (or Hartsfield?) so that can't be it. I realized replacing a racetrack with a racetrack was not likely to be the hook, I came up with bupkis.

Twelvefootgirl and I think Mattea probably needed off tomorrow anyway to go watch her horse run. She's done everything else 8-) . She is definitely my favorite player ever since I started paying attention. Austin Rogers may be second favorite. My third favorite? What is Matt Amodio?
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

twelvefootboy wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 10:58 pm ...but asfik the airport name is Hartsfeld (or Hartsfield?) so that can't be it.
Turns out it was Berenstain this whole time
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

BigDaddyMatty wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 9:27 pm I wasn''t spoiled by the NYT website or any news agencies, but when I checked JBoard at 7:30 pm on a Friday night and there were already 25 posts in this thread, I knew something was up. T
I saw 13 posts, I think, as of 2:something Eastern time, so I also suspected. On the other and, had I waited till now to watch, the outcome might have come as a big surprise. I did manage to avoid seeing anything conclusive by keeping my eyes half-closed (and I had been wrong once before during Mattea's run).

I thought including "Coca-Cola magnate" in the FJ clue was too leading, as you ought to know who Asa Candler was. We're talking about our national beverage here (you should also know that it is "HartSfield". Like Mattea, I learned something today). Definitely up Danielle's runway, though she began enunciating that DD in the very nickest of time.

I would say rather that Nolan Ryan has two last names. Tommy John has two first names. And I wish they'd chosen to ask about Jack Benny and Fred Allen for their "feud" clue.

Note to the writing staff: All anniversaries are "year" anniversaries. It's embedded in the word. Please join the side of literacy.
I'm smart and I want respect.
teapot37

Post by teapot37 »

For the record, Churchill Downs opened and was named about 10 years before Coca-Cola was invented.
Not many people can say they've lost four times on Jeopardy!.
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

teapot37 wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 11:39 pm For the record, Churchill Downs opened and was named about 10 years before Coca-Cola was invented.
And about a hundred years after the mint julep was invented.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

Ironhorse wrote: Fri May 06, 2022 4:40 pm I know it's a "stupid answers" type of thing, but for PROTESTANTISM $1600, would Wesleyanism actually be wrong in place of Methodism? The wording was John & Charles Wesley founded this "ism" in the 18th century. There is a specific denomination called the Wesleyan Church that was founded in the 19th century, and not by the Wesley brothers, but more broadly, Wesleyanism can refer to their brand of theology, and the wording doesn't seem to exclude a system of thought as opposed to a specific denomination. See https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wesleyan_theology

(I did get to the intended answer as I used to attend a Methodist church, but my wife answered the other way.)
It seems difficult to rule it out, though I think they might try very hard to come up with a reason.