Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Ironhorse
Second Banana

Re: Friday, May 6, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Ironhorse »

Danielle wrote on Reddit that she bet the minimum on FJ because she thought a Second Chance Tournament invite would be more likely if she finished in second than third.
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:21 am Danielle wrote on Reddit that she bet the minimum on FJ because she thought a Second Chance Tournament invite would be more likely if she finished in second than third.
:roll: :roll: :roll:
BobF
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by BobF »

Ironhorse wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 8:21 am Danielle wrote on Reddit that she bet the minimum on FJ because she thought a Second Chance Tournament invite would be more likely if she finished in second than third.
I haven’t heard much about a 2nd chance tournament, I guess I should search hear. But considering how many super champs there have been, I’d love to see a tournament with the 15 runners up to Amy Matt Mattea or Johnathan with the highest Coryats.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

BobF wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:59 am
I haven’t heard much about a 2nd chance tournament, I guess I should search hear. But considering how many super champs there have been, I’d love to see a tournament with the 15 runners up to Amy Matt Mattea or Johnathan with the highest Coryats.
I'm thinking that it's going to involve those who lost on tiebreaker who in the old days would've kept their money. :idea:
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

Anachronism wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 pm Just from watching, and not doing the same calculations, my sense is that Amy's games were more similar to Jason's. Something major has changed with the casting recently, and while Mattea is a formidable player who can compete with almost anyone, I would be very surprised if she could take more than one game in ten off of Amy or Jason.
It could also be something different in the overall difficulty level of the clues. I don't track my Coryat, but I feel like the clues have been more difficult lately, and I've definitely done poorly on FJs over the last few weeks.
davey

Post by davey »

This Is Kirk! wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 10:39 am
Anachronism wrote: Sat May 07, 2022 1:50 pm Just from watching, and not doing the same calculations, my sense is that Amy's games were more similar to Jason's. Something major has changed with the casting recently, and while Mattea is a formidable player who can compete with almost anyone, I would be very surprised if she could take more than one game in ten off of Amy or Jason.
It could also be something different in the overall difficulty level of the clues. I don't track my Coryat, but I feel like the clues have been more difficult lately, and I've definitely done poorly on FJs over the last few weeks.
I did much more poorly during Amy's games, including many missed FJs, so it's very subjective.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

Over the last 20 games, my Coryat is close enough to consider normal for this season; my horrible FJ this season continues with 40% in the past 20 vs 45.9% on the season; but then the non-champions podiums have 48.6% FJ, so maybe not so bad?

YMMV
Total game show career losings = $171,522
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

And the prodigy is mated!

I'm late to this discussion because I took an Ambien before watching on Friday night and was very much in a fog for most of double jeopardy. I revived long enough to know that Mattea lost.

But I had to wait until re-watching it to feel comfortable posting on the thread. The new champ's win was made possible by her getting Annunciation at the very last second.

Final was instaget for me because geography is my wheelhouse and airports are something I have a lot of knowledge about. Not only did I get Hartsfield-Jackson International Airport immediately, I can't think of anything else in the United States named for two mayors. I made proper use of the Coca-Cola TOM.

Let's see if we can come up with airports named for mayors.

LaGuardia
Cleveland-Hopkins
Denver-Stapleton (defunct)
Jean Lesage (he was mayor of Quebec City before he was premier) no, he wasn't
Tom Bradley has an LAX terminal
Hubert Humphrey has an MSP terminal
Fargo Hector International wasn't named for a mayor, but Fargo itself was

That isn't very many

According to Watson, Toronto is a USA city with an airport
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
This Is Kirk!
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by This Is Kirk! »

davey wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 11:35 am
I did much more poorly during Amy's games, including many missed FJs, so it's very subjective.
It is. Without data to back it up I'm only guessing.

On a completely different note, for a long time I thought Atlanta's airport was named "Harts Field." I didn't realize the person's name was actually "Hartsfield."
Last edited by This Is Kirk! on Mon May 09, 2022 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MasterCone
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by MasterCone »

BobF wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:59 am I haven’t heard much about a 2nd chance tournament, I guess I should search hear. But considering how many super champs there have been, I’d love to see a tournament with the 15 runners up to Amy Matt Mattea or Johnathan with the highest Coryats.
I totally agree with this criteria. I'm totally not biased at all. :mrgreen:
jeff6286

Post by jeff6286 »

triviawayne wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:39 am
goongas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:46 pm Michael Davies said in one of his posts that he wants the TOC to be an annual event airing in November. That implies to me that it would be during the normal syndicated run, but I have would not be opposed and would encourage it to be a primetime tournament. That, or they should bring back some former champions for a summer primetime tournament event.
Why does November imply that to you?

If I was going to take November as an indicator, I would stick with prime time as that is during sweeps weeks.
They''ve nearly always put the TOC (and in fact most J! tournaments) in November, February, or May, sweeps months, so I don't think this is any indication one way or the other. Sweeps apply to both syndicated and network programming.

My guess is the TOC stays in syndication, remember primetime J! episodes are an hour long. I don't know that they necessarily have to be but that's what we've seen so far, all ABC primetime game shows are an hour long so unless they come up with another 30 minute show to pair with it I suspect it stays this way. 5 one-hour episodes is just a bad fit for a standard J! tournament because you're splitting the QF/SF round in one episode on day 3. Maybe this could mean that the TOC has a nonstandard format i.e. more than 15 players, but I really, really doubt it.

The fact that the show itself has just begun doing its own TOC tracker in recent years, and the fact that they currently have 15 players listed on it, makes me assume they have no intentions of having more than the usual 15 players in the TOC. The second chance tournament could be considered an additional level of the TOC, similar to the opening round of the NCAA tournament or a tennis qualifier, but I think most would say only the 15 players that actually begin the QF round will be the actual TOC field.
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I don't track my own coryat either. I don't have the same impression. But what I sense, and perhaps this works in favor of someone like Mattea, who seemingly ran anything and everything related to pop culture, is that as I get older, large gaps appear in places like television and general knowledge of celebrity happenings that used to be relative strengths.

We are a much more balkanized society than in the past and that shows up in pop culture as well. I can only speculate based on the combined coryat scores we're observing, and Mattea's games are par for the course while usually mega-champions produce a run of games with much higher combined coryats.

Difficulty of question sets, therefore, might be in the eye of the beholder. I think they've changed, maybe gotten a bit easier related to stuff in categories I might know, but more questions in categories that I feel too old to know. Maybe an influx of younger question-writers?

I think it's in the casting. They've gone younger, and I think the change in the last season has been a huge reduction in casting the generic ordinary white male. You might see 1-3 a week now, which I don't think represents the pool of people taking and passing the test. If I'm wrong, OK. But now that they encourage pictures in the test application and the relative isolation of the Zoom interview, it seems like they're casting rather than randomly taking the strongest players from the audition process. Whether this is a good thing or a bad thing I don't know. I keep passing the test these days, but never get called to audition. Maybe I'll put on a funny hat and change my J! profile picture. Or maybe it's just the wrong time for me. No one needs to see another middle-aged computer programmer. This has been number one on my bucket list for a long time now, but perhaps it's time to let that go along with number two - a week with my wife in St. Petersburg. I need a good three.
MattKnowles
selwonKttaM

Post by MattKnowles »

Anachronism wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:45 pm I keep passing the test these days, but never get called to audition. Maybe I'll put on a funny hat and change my J! profile picture.
Try piercing your nose. They like nose rings.
I had a dream that I was asleep and then I woke up and Jeopardy! was on.
squarekara
J! Reactionary

Post by squarekara »

Anachronism wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:45 pm I think it's in the casting. They've gone younger, and I think the change in the last season has been a huge reduction in casting the generic ordinary white male. You might see 1-3 a week now, which I don't think represents the pool of people taking and passing the test. If I'm wrong, OK. But now that they encourage pictures in the test application and the relative isolation of the Zoom interview, it seems like they're casting rather than randomly taking the strongest players from the audition process.
My husband said he was by far the oldest during his Zoom audition.
Could this be the answer?
Golf
Wet Paper Bag Charmer

Post by Golf »

Anachronism wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:45 pm I think it's in the casting. They've gone younger, and I think the change in the last season has been a huge reduction in casting the generic ordinary white male. You might see 1-3 a week now, which I don't think represents the pool of people taking and passing the test. If I'm wrong, OK. But now that they encourage pictures in the test application and the relative isolation of the Zoom interview, it seems like they're casting rather than randomly taking the strongest players from the audition process.
You're not wrong, and in my opinion, this is Michael Davies putting his stamp on things.

When he was producing WWTBAM, the first two seasons had contestants selected totally by answering phone questions correctly combined with random draw. They didn't know the first thing about you unless you were selected for the show. The gender ratio was 80% male and not at all diverse. And eventually there was serious blowback about this. The show started having tons of specialty weeks where they could hand pick contestants and eventually went to the audition format for regular contestants.

So at one time they had the most fair selection process for a quiz show ever and then transformed it to a casting couch and the trivia talent was not near the same. Now, does that sound slightly familiar to what we've seen this season?

It was hard enough in past years to get on the show for men as they were competing against a larger player pool for x/2 slots. Now it's next to impossible unless you have a visible hook. This could be partially a factor of Zoom auditions or not. If they ever go back to in person auditions we'll have some clue. Honestly, if I were to do a Zoom audition right now, I'd do something to alter my physical appearance. Mohawk, temporary facial tattoos or piercings, dyed hair, etc. Because as is, this MAWG isn't getting picked regardless of test scores.
BobF

Post by BobF »

MasterCone wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:34 pm
BobF wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 9:59 am I haven’t heard much about a 2nd chance tournament, I guess I should search hear. But considering how many super champs there have been, I’d love to see a tournament with the 15 runners up to Amy Matt Mattea or Johnathan with the highest Coryats.
Who did you lose to? And congratulations for at least going a step further than I did.
Was once hugged by Maggie Speak!
harrumph
Voyeur

Post by harrumph »

At some point Jeopardy will be accused of racism for not having a proportional representation of various demographic categories among winners. It won't be enough to have proportional representation of contestants. The default position of CRT is that the cause of any deviation from proportional representation in any endeavor is racism, and other possible factors are discounted.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

BobF wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 2:18 pm
MasterCone wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:34 pm
Who did you lose to? And congratulations for at least going a step further than I did.
She was one of those who were beat by Amy. Unlike most, she kept it from being a runaway.
triviawayne
Hoping I don’t drown in this contestant pool

Post by triviawayne »

jeff6286 wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 12:36 pm
triviawayne wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 7:39 am
goongas wrote: Sun May 08, 2022 11:46 pm Michael Davies said in one of his posts that he wants the TOC to be an annual event airing in November. That implies to me that it would be during the normal syndicated run, but I have would not be opposed and would encourage it to be a primetime tournament. That, or they should bring back some former champions for a summer primetime tournament event.
Why does November imply that to you?

If I was going to take November as an indicator, I would stick with prime time as that is during sweeps weeks.
They''ve nearly always put the TOC (and in fact most J! tournaments) in November, February, or May, sweeps months, so I don't think this is any indication one way or the other. Sweeps apply to both syndicated and network programming.

My guess is the TOC stays in syndication, remember primetime J! episodes are an hour long. I don't know that they necessarily have to be but that's what we've seen so far, all ABC primetime game shows are an hour long so unless they come up with another 30 minute show to pair with it I suspect it stays this way. 5 one-hour episodes is just a bad fit for a standard J! tournament because you're splitting the QF/SF round in one episode on day 3. Maybe this could mean that the TOC has a nonstandard format i.e. more than 15 players, but I really, really doubt it.

The fact that the show itself has just begun doing its own TOC tracker in recent years, and the fact that they currently have 15 players listed on it, makes me assume they have no intentions of having more than the usual 15 players in the TOC. The second chance tournament could be considered an additional level of the TOC, similar to the opening round of the NCAA tournament or a tennis qualifier, but I think most would say only the 15 players that actually begin the QF round will be the actual TOC field.
Looks like all we have is pure speculation on anyone's part, but using the TOC tracker as shown might not be the best way to speculate as it is showing 15, and we already know they are having the 2nd chance tournament to put someone in the TOC, which would mean more than 15.

Prime time would have the 2nd Chance as the play in, then begin the TOC; or basically an expanded TOC field which would make sense with all the superchamps?

J will not be paired with anything to fill out an hour, they will keep what we've seen. For some reason over the past 20 years, networks really want one hour, self contained game shows. As if someone can't change the station at the top of the hour as easily as part way through.
Total game show career losings = $171,522
Anachronism

Post by Anachronism »

I heard that if you have a nose ring and you sneeze while outside during a thunderstorm, you can take out the entire power grid.
harrumph wrote: Mon May 09, 2022 3:04 pm At some point Jeopardy will be accused of racism for not having a proportional representation of various demographic categories among winners. It won't be enough to have proportional representation of contestants. The default position of CRT is that the cause of any deviation from proportional representation in any endeavor is racism, and other possible factors are discounted.
What's troubling is the constant focus on identity itself. We can say that trivia in Jeopardy form is a product designed to fit a view of entertainment often preferred by somewhat nerdy white people. But if that's the conclusion, then inclusivity is by definition impossible. Everything invented is then categorized by the identity of the inventor. I thought I'd love Sports Jeopardy, but it was awful.

That's what I mean when I say I worry about the increased balkanization of society. I think of myself as a unique individual who happens to like trivia - not a sum of a recognized intersection of cultural traits, each trait and each combination with a defined score. It never occurred to me that my only true competitors in life had to look just like me. I feel we're moving further and further away from a society where people are free to dream. Everything's about creating stereotypes and trying to enforce them in the name of equity. And equity and equality are fairly close to antonyms when it comes to the human experience.

Maybe the true number one on my bucket list, as I think of bucketty things from the past, is that when I retire, I would like to become a novelist. But that's probably gone, too. If I write what I know, then I can't be inclusive enough. But if I write what I don't know, then I'm guilty of appropriation. James Michener, if he were alive today, would share a metaphorical jail cell with Ayn Rand.

Mostly, though, get off of my lawn, I think. Sorry to complain so much.