Tuesday, May 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

Archivists
Fan-created archive of games and players

Tuesday, May 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

J! Round
Archivists

Re: Tuesday, May 10, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by Archivists »

DJ! Round
Archivists

Post by Archivists »

Box score
theFJguy
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by theFJguy »

FINAL JEOPARDY! CATEGORY
LIVE MUSIC

FINAL JEOPARDY! CLUE
These 2 events held 2 1/2 months & 2,500 miles apart in 1999 were the last of one major music happening & the first of another

Danielle Maurer: 13400-4801=8599
Mallory Kass: 9100+5000=14100 (New Champ)
Cherry Ignacio: 2800-2100=700

Correct response:
Spoiler
Woodstock (or Woodstock '99 or Woodstock 1999) & Coachella (Danielle – Coachella & Burning Man) (Cherry – Woodstock and Lollapalooza)

Daily Doubles
Mallory: 3000+1500
Danielle: 1400+2000
Danielle: 3800+2000

Coryats
Danielle: 12200
Mallory: 8400
Cherry: 2800

Combined: 23,400

Scores at the end of the Jeopardy! Round
Danielle: 1800
Mallory: 8300
Cherry: 1200
Robert K S
Jeopardy! Champion

Post by Robert K S »

To me, one of these was easier than the other. I flipped a coin between the correct response and
Spoiler
Burning Man
Spoiler
Which actually started in 1986, it turns out.
and my coin landed well.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Like yesterday, I'm still sensing some edited spots, so the games may be a little rougher than what is airing.

Nice that Mallory got a plug in for her writing work:
Spoiler
Danielle trailed before, during and after each DD though managed to have the lead for the FJ! round. No way Mallory leaving off the first "A" was going to be negged to save Danielle.

Off the FJ! category I wrote Farm Aid, Boneroo (no way I would have spelled Bonnaroo correctly) and the two correct names.

The FJ! clue led me to the correct response due to year and geography with a decent level of confidence though not great. It was my best guess and was happy to be correct. During think time I wondered about more specificity but did not remember what it was called. Thank you Mallory for leaving no doubt about just the main name being good enough.

Using the stats from The Jeopardy! Fan I see that once again it's double digit for Ws and TS clues. Add in 3 unplayed clues and the low combined Coryat and it's too bad something is not quite working well enough with J! sometimes.
doihavetoreally

Post by doihavetoreally »

Just another non-superchamp game. Ouch. Trash galore.

I would not have taken even a long shot bet on - two negs and TSs on Othello (when spotted kiss) and Buddhism (in Japan, Shintoism was not a bad response though).

I thought Mallory will have a lock after her huge lead in J.

I don't like these kind of FJs. Even though I picked the right combination.
Good enough to lose on Jeopardy!
MinnesotaMyron
JBOARDIE OF THE MONTH!

Post by MinnesotaMyron »

I think this might be the first game I watched previous to reading the recaps here in at least 10 years. It was already posted to Bru-no-no-no* when I got to the gym at 12:30, so I watched today's show instead of yesterday's. Got FJ correct.

But now what am I going to watch when I go to the gym tomorrow?

*We don't talk about websites where the day's game is uploaded.

On an unrelated topic, if you have YouTube Premium, and you "download" something to watch later, and the uploader changes the file to something else and you're connected to the internet, it will update your download to the new file and you won't be able to watch what you originally downloaded.
MarkBarrett

Post by MarkBarrett »

Goes a lot faster without a Clue Crew category: https://j-archive.com/showgame.php?game_id=7349
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

got FJ but thought they were farther.
DBear
Denier of Pop Culture

Post by DBear »

almost fell in the Lallapolooza trap with Cherry, stepped back quickly enough & corrected to Coachella :mrgreen:
TenPoundHammer

Post by TenPoundHammer »

I had Woodstock '99 but couldn't think of anything to pair it with. I thought Coachella was a film festival.
Lefty

Post by Lefty »

Woodstock and Burning Man for me, though I considered Lollapalooza and Lilith Fair. I've heard of Coachella, but I thought they made handbags.

I've been misusing "five" all these years. How embarrassing.
I'm smart and I want respect.
brick

Post by brick »

Either I had great luck with triple stumpers or those shouldn't have been TS's. And how could they abandon John Goodman like that? Shameful.
brick

Post by brick »

DBear wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 3:27 pm almost fell in the Lallapolooza trap with Cherry, stepped back quickly enough & corrected to Coachella :mrgreen:
I gave Lilith the slip, got as far as Lallapolooza, and got comfortable next to Cherry in the cozy trap.
mungar
Valued Contributor

Post by mungar »

Yay, on the board for the week.

Woodstock was instaget, and knowing The Simpsons parodied Lollapalooza in the mid-90s helped rule that out. Got there with the 2,500 miles part, as I realized it basically asked to name a big California event (knowing Woodstock already).
davey

Post by davey »

I had no problem coming up with Coachella as the later festival, but I forgot if I ever knew that there were multiple Woodstocks. I should have written it down anyway since I had nothing better...I knew it wasn't Altamont!
I figured the FJ would be about someone who performed at Woodstock, so it was even foremost in my mind... :roll:
Leander

Post by Leander »

davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:29 pm I had no problem coming up with Coachella as the later festival, but I forgot if I ever knew that there were multiple Woodstocks. I should have written it down anyway since I had nothing better...I knew it wasn't Altamont!
I figured the FJ would be about someone who performed at Woodstock, so it was even foremost in my mind... :roll:
I was sort of in the same boat. Did think of Coachella, but expected that they were looking for a similar ongoing music event (Newport Folk Festival?) that ended in 99, not a one time anniversary event. Might have thrown in Woodstock with more time.
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

Had no clue that Woodstock was still going on in 99. Said Coachella and Burning man.
Volante
Harbinger of the Doomed Lemur

Post by Volante »

Leander wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:46 pm
davey wrote: Tue May 10, 2022 10:29 pm I had no problem coming up with Coachella as the later festival, but I forgot if I ever knew that there were multiple Woodstocks. I should have written it down anyway since I had nothing better...I knew it wasn't Altamont!
I was sort of in the same boat. Did think of Coachella, but expected that they were looking for a similar ongoing music event (Newport Folk Festival?) that ended in 99, not a one time anniversary event. Might have thrown in Woodstock with more time.
It looks like there were only two Woodstocks... '69 and '99...so technically aren't we due for another in 7 years?
I had Lilith Fair and Lollapalooza... If it wasn't for a 2010 revival, Lilith Fair would've ...at least ended in '99 :lol:
The best thing that Neil Armstrong ever did, was to let us all imagine we were him.
Latest movies (1-10): Everything Everywhere All at Once (10), Ruby Gillman: Teenage Kraken (6), Black Sunday /1960/ (6), Marcel the Shell with Shoes On (7)