Tuesday, June 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

This is where all of the games are discussed.

Moderators: alietr, trainman, econgator, dhkendall

danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Re: Tuesday, June 14, 2022 Game Recap and Discussion (SPOILERS)

Post by danspartan »

Pretty much the casual is going to say Pearl Jam or Nirvana.

I largely missed grunge having kids in the 90s. I though PJ first then Nirvana. Then SG came to mind. But since I’d just be guessing I would have said the first that came to mind and had a lock game.

There was no harm in guessing.
Spum
Contributor

Post by Spum »

A magical spirit of Arabic lore who might need a good bottle opener
(5 letters)

I answered djinn. Judges?
Ironhorse
Second Banana

Post by Ironhorse »

Spum wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm A magical spirit of Arabic lore who might need a good bottle opener
(5 letters)

Yes.
opusthepenguin
The Best Darn Penguin on the Whole JBoard

Post by opusthepenguin »

ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:20 pm Can anyone make sense of this clue?: "It follows a midday grace period (5 letters)".

I don't know what it's talking about, and it looked like none of the contestants knew either.
Heathens, all of youse.
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

MarkBarrett wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:45 pm 1972 had me precall in order: Watergate, Truman (knew he died that year), Miami Dolphins (one could hope for sports), and J! favorite The Godfather
Good list. Maybe a clue like: Number of games lost by the Miami Dolphins in 1972.
Spoiler
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

Anyone else give the Biblical answer to SJ16 $600 THE MORAL OF THE FABLE: A cockfight victor crows to show he's won, attracting a hungry eagle; as the saying has it, this quality goes before a fall?
Spoiler
What is an haughty spirit? The full quote is "Pride goeth before destruction, and an haughty spirit before a fall." No question they were right to accept "What is pride?" since that's the common expression today. But were they prepared to accept the original as well?
Regarding FJ, two of the contestants overthought it and it looks like a lot of boardies did too. It was obvious to me that there was only one reason they would use this clue, and it wasn't because everyone but me happens to know this obscure quote is the most famous thing that Dean or Haldeman or Ehrlichman or Agnew or Kissinger or whoever ever said. There was simply zero chance for any of those possibilities. Yell at me and throw fish if you want.
CyrusChan
Watches Jeopardy! Way Too Much

Post by CyrusChan »

ouch for opting for the lawyer
CyrusChan

Post by CyrusChan »

Spum wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 8:20 pm A magical spirit of Arabic lore who might need a good bottle opener
(5 letters)

you got it and that's the origin
LucarioSnooperVixey
Carrying Letters and Lemons

Post by LucarioSnooperVixey »

3 For the Show bit me in the ass.
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
Douglas Squasoni
econgator
Let's Go Mets!

Post by econgator »

CyrusChan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:34 pm
(5 letters)

Don't you mean the oridjinn?
opusthepenguin

Post by opusthepenguin »

econgator wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 10:47 pm
CyrusChan wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:34 pm
(5 letters)

Don't you mean the oridjinn?
That's genieous!
goongas

Post by goongas »

That was a rough Jeopardy! round for me in terms of the writing...
RetiredDoc

Post by RetiredDoc »

My first thought for FJ was Nixon; that seemed too simple/easy but I couldn’t pin the quote to anyone else so I stuck with Nixon. I wonder if either Barry or Eric didn’t go with Nixon for a similar reason
davey

Post by davey »

opusthepenguin wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 9:07 pm
Regarding FJ, two of the contestants overthought it and it looks like a lot of boardies did too. It was obvious to me that there was only one reason they would use this clue, and it wasn't because everyone but me happens to know this obscure quote is the most famous thing that Dean or Haldeman or Ehrlichman or Agnew or Kissinger or whoever ever said. There was simply zero chance for any of those possibilities. Yell at me and throw fish if you want.
It might have been more interesting to use Dean's "cancer on the Presidency" line. That would really test our basic knowledge of Watergate rather than our ear for Nixon's brand of mendacity...But I agree, the chances that there will ever be an FJ on Bob Haldeman or John Mitchell are nil. (Martha Mitchell, especially since Julia Roberts just played her on TV, maybe...)
floridagator

Post by floridagator »

I was spoiled on the game by a News website.

I got Nixon instantly. There wasn't anything in the clue to pin it to any other White House figure. Fifty years after Watergate, all the president's men are pretty obscure figures. Watergate has truly faded from the public consciousness. (He said, just as every media outlet in America is about to do a rehash of the crisis for its 50th anniversary.)
I'd rather cuddle then have sex. If you're into grammar, you'll understand.
seaborgium
Undefeated in Reruns

Post by seaborgium »

BrigadierSolo13 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 1:53 pm What an absolute stinker of a FJ...

From this clue, how could anyone differentiate the correct response from Haldeman, Ehrlichman, Mitchell, Zeigler, Liddy, Hunt, et cetera, et cetera...

All these recent clunkers all seem to have the same problem, a complete lack of pinning. The only way to solve is just compiling a list of possible correct responses and throwing a dart. Not fun...
I've said it before, and I'll say it again: "pinning" does not mean making a clue easier for the contestants/solvers; it means making a clue narrow enough that no response besides the intended one is correct. Presuming no one else is documented as having said the quoted words in 1972, that clue was pinned.

This is probably a Final Jeopardy where I get it right from the lead and miss from a trailing position, operating on the assumption that everyone is inclined to say Nixon. If I'm in the lead, I think, "If everyone says Nixon, I win whether he's right or wrong. But if I'm the only one who doesn't say Nixon and he's right, then I lose." If I'm trailing, I think, "The leader will probably say Nixon. If I have the same response as the leader, I lose, right or wrong. So I'm going to say someone else; if Nixon is right, I'm no worse off (in terms of winning and losing), and if it's not Nixon, I've given myself a fighting chance at coming from behind." And the joke would be on me since Nixon was right and the leader was wrong, and I cost myself the game from Megan's or Barry's position (since I would have bet it all and Megan didn't cover Barry). I'm counting this as a miss, since my dad precalled Nixon from the category and I therefore stubbornly went for Agnew from the clue.

It's funny, Eric has a speech impediment related to K and G sounds that reminds me of the one Joey Beachum had; I first noticed Joey's when he gave a response with an x in it: "Who is Nixon?"
Category 13
Wagering Viking

Post by Category 13 »

Ironhorse wrote:
danspartan wrote: He should have guessed any grunge band at the end of FJ.

There are two obvious ones. Then maybe a third. Anything else, oh well.
The Mt. Rushmore of grunge are more or less universally agreed to be Nirvana, Soundgarden, Pearl Jam, and Alice in Chains.
I guessed Stone Temple Pilots
twelvefootboy

Post by twelvefootboy »

I had to do a doubletake at the opening - it looked like Mick Jagger was at the middle podium :lol: .

I thought of Haldeman and Erlichman and decided the list is too long even before getting to Dean. The inside baseball part of the whole thing shouldn't be required reading for any modern student or carry any trivia gravitas at this time. I went with Nixon and expected it to be correct.

Megan got off the deck and did not get in her own way. I wonder if Ryan would have lowballed/zeroed against her? I love what she does for the prisoners.
Disclaimer - repeated exposure to author's musings may cause befuddlement.
danspartan
Loyal Jeopardista

Post by danspartan »

Category 13 wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 11:59 pm
Ironhorse wrote: I guessed Stone Temple Pilots
Way better than not ringing in.
BigDaddyMatty
Hoping not to get pruney this time

Post by BigDaddyMatty »

Coryat: $33,800
43 R/4 W
DD: 3/3
FJ: :mrgreen:
LT: Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals, lunch, The Real Housewives of Beverly Hills, manatee (DD), death, Pearl Jam

It's amazing that Eric lost despite nearly matching the combined Coryat of his opponents and Megan making a too-timid wager on DD3. He's got the chops to make noise in the ToC, though, so perhaps this isn't the end of his run.

I had to have seen three dozen commercials for Cena in The Peacemaker (or maybe I couldn't see him?), but the title never lodged in my brain.

Piano Man and "An Innocent Man," for $1600?
ouachiouat wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 6:01 pm
ldfghjkl wrote: Tue Jun 14, 2022 5:20 pm Can anyone make sense of this clue?: "It follows a midday grace period (5 letters)".

I don't know what it's talking about, and it looked like none of the contestants knew either.
Not sure, as I haven't seen it, but perhaps "lunch"? 'Grace period' being a pre-meal prayer?
This is where I think Mayim lacks as a host. A category like CLEVER CROSSWORD CLUES begs for a brief explanation after each correct response/TS. A simple "'you might say grace before eating lunch" would suffice. Alex provided that sort of flavortext naturally and instinctively, and Ken does the same. Mayim doesn't, which is both less interesting and less informative to the home viewer.
twelvefootboy wrote: Wed Jun 15, 2022 12:07 am I had to do a doubletake at the opening - it looked like Mick Jagger was at the middle podium :lol: .
You dirty rotten scoundrel.
Sprinkles are for winners.